Flake Finish Jazzmaster

Hey Rick! Did you decide to get flake on the headstock? Did the big W say 'ok' to the gloss on the front / satin on the back idea?

The reason why I ask is I recently asked spike about a flake headstock and no finish elsewhere (roasted maple neck). He said 'no'.

I wound up getting a vintage tint gloss 1/4 sawn maple neck, (rosewood fretboard, pearloid split diamond inlay) as I wanted to match the orange flake, but didn't want to have too much neck bling. You know, let the flake body shine so to speak. The idea was to harmonize, not outshine it.

I can't remember the excellent customer service rep's name, and my memory is dim on this, but among various things, we talked about getting just the headstock done in flake gloss, but the back done with clear. I'm pretty sure I could order a flake headstock in gloss, and get a clear back in satin. That seemed doabable, and getting the whole neck done in flake, either gloss or satin, was good. As to a no finish back, and gloss flake on the front, we didn't talk about that.

I'm guessing that has something to do with paint adhering, like a finish, either satin or gloss, seals it in. I think it needs a top coat to hold the paint on.

I've currently got a mahogany neck that has gloss black on the headstock and satin clear on the back. Looks good, feels good, taste like hollywood, as the drill instructor said in the army.

Last edited:
@mayfly if it helps, I have a gloss metallic black cherry headstock on a maple neck with a satin finish from Warmoth. So I would expect a similar thing would be possible with a flake headstock.

@Rick if you are using three minibuckers the Freeway 5B5-02 might give you more switching options. Certainly worth checking it out.

Screen shot of wiring scheme. The 5b5 02 also looks good. Probably use that on the next project. It'll have a p90 in the middle which I think the 5b5 02 would be perfect. (y)

Screen shot of wiring scheme. The 5b5 02 also looks good. Probably use that on the next project. It'll have a p90 in the middle which I think the 5b5 02 would be perfect. (y)

I thought that was the wiring you were going to use, but since you got that from Freeway the 5B5-02 became available.

I really know nothing about how to wire a guitar other than to follow instructions, and on the 5B5-01 I can access the series options in both full humbucking or single coil mode. I just love being able to kick it up a notch.

Mini switch, dress nut and switch tip arrived. Gotta check my list ... looks like I just need a Strap and I'll be ready for the big W delivery. The git can live in a bass gig bag it's first few months.
1000000749.jpg

These are my favorite straps, I was turned on to them by AnalogMan Mike. You'll like this ... They are made by a Canadian company called Levy's Leather. Got it from AMS music from downsouth in New Jersey where I used to live. Used to be called Victor's House of Music. Levy's seem to have pretty strict pricing discipline except when the retailer gets down to the last one. So the normal price is $30, but the last one costs $25. This was a last one. It's a cool classic pattern, adjustable and the back has garment leather so it doesn't slide around. Gets a 10 on all counts.

They are sold at lots of retailers. Just wait till they get to the last one and pounce.

These are my favorite straps, I was turned on to them by AnalogMan Mike. You'll like this ... They are made by a Canadian company called Levy's Leather. Got it from AMS music from downsouth in New Jersey where I used to live. Used to be called Victor's House of Music. Levy's seem to have pretty strict pricing discipline except when the retailer gets down to the last one. So the normal price is $30, but the last one costs $25. This was a last one. It's a cool classic pattern, adjustable and the back has garment leather so it doesn't slide around. Gets a 10 on all counts.

They are sold at lots of retailers. Just wait till they get to the last one and pounce.
Damn, you are so good at optimimizing your purchases!

I remember Victor's from about the year 2000 when I lived in NJ... very cool shop - still kicking myself for not buying a certain Rickenbacker I played there

In case the input hole is too big for my mini switch. I got these. I'm not sure which hole to put it in, input or tone? Anyway, it'll be decided fast when I put the thing together.
20231016_201216.jpg

Last edited:
Back