First Build - Not Perfect But It Plays!!!

SH9195

Lots of imperfections on my first build but the two year process was an fantastic journey.  I started with a rectangular slab of mahogany about 1 1/2 inches thick and two 1/4 inch pieces of quilted maple.  Shaped the entire guitar body, routed the controls, pickups, neck pocket and all other hardware. Stained the guitar and finished with nitrocellulose lacquer.  I ordered a neck from Warmoth without inlay, frets or a nut and did that work myself. Inlay was a bitch, cut the neck pocket too far into the body but all other measurements for pickups, bridge and saddle are correct for the neck pocket I cut. I enjoyed doing the wiring so much I did it twice!  Guitar stays in tune and all setting on the five way switch work. It really sounds good. Thanks to all who answered some really basic questions of mine along the way. Looking forward to my next build!

Guitar Build by SH, on Flickr

Interesting design with the bridge setting so low on the body.  I have wondered by bridges are set so far up the body on some guitars, making them so long when they could be more compact.  Is it comfortable for your forearm?

That's a pretty fantastic first effort, SH. Inlays look great. That bit definitely gives me pause. You're a brave man (or woman, I suppose I shouldn't assume).

garytlove said:
Is it comfortable for your forearm?

Works for bass players. I've also kind of wondered about that. Kind of like a bullpup guitar design. Looks good here.

Looks like great work, first time or not. I congrat you heartily..................... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

garytlove said:
Interesting design with the bridge setting so low on the body.  I have wondered by bridges are set so far up the body on some guitars, making them so long when they could be more compact.  Is it comfortable for your forearm?

Yes, it’s very comfortable. Distance to nut is the same as a Gibson Les Paul.

Back