Let’s do another Steve Morse inspired build!

Technically that makes it 10. I have one in a drawer that I took apart to try to turn into an internal mount. I'm not sure I'd put it on a guitar that's supposed to be all that if it's your first one. Stick it on another guitar first, play with it. See if you like it. I'm guessing there are far more GK3's in drawers than there are in active use. Which is kind of a shame.

Technically that makes it 10. I have one in a drawer that I took apart to try to turn into an internal mount. I'm not sure I'd put it on a guitar that's supposed to be all that if it's your first one. Stick it on another guitar first, play with it. See if you like it. I'm guessing there are far more GK3's in drawers than there are in active use. Which is kind of a shame.
I figure it’s removable, and the number of used on the market means I don’t have to shell out too much coin for a used unit to play with.

I’ve never dabbled in synth, but I suspect I’ll find ways to use it, and if not I probably won’t take a bath reselling a used unit.

Besides - it’s also an homage to Morses hexaphonic setup with his Spectre system back in the day ;)

A couple of things on GK3s you can get what is called a GK-KIT to build into the guitar.

Also worth noting Boss released fairly recently a new synth device called a GM-800 and also a new pickup called a GK-5, that uses special TRS cables. They also now sell GKC-AD and GKC-DA converter boxes to convert between the older and newer systems.

As you will have a TOM bridge it is also worth investigating the Graphtech Ghost TOM bridges and Hexpander and so on which you can also then use to trigger a guitar synth.

This is such an exciting project - really looking forward to seeing and hearing about the end result!

I think I’ve got a plan for the pickguard. I mounted the pickups right now to do the wiring, but afterwards I will strip it and use it to make a template, then a new pickguard leaving the neck pocket basically uncut with excess material, then I can mount it and use the actual neck pocket as a template for a bottom bearing flush cut bit.

I think I’ve got a plan for the pickguard. I mounted the pickups right now to do the wiring, but afterwards I will strip it and use it to make a template, then a new pickguard leaving the neck pocket basically uncut with excess material, then I can mount it and use the actual neck pocket as a template for a bottom bearing flush cut bit.

That seems like what Blackadder would call a cunning plan, but tell us more about the pickups you ended up getting.

I've been playing midi guitars for more than two decades... I have built a couple 'MIDI' guitars with the Ghost hexpander system, and they are way nicer than the GK3 has ever been for me. I recently bought the Fishman midi pickup, which again is not as good tracking as the Ghost (The Fishman is about on par with the GK3)

That seems like what Blackadder would call a cunning plan, but tell us more about the pickups you ended up getting.
Basically, I stuck to what comes in the modern Morse signature but changed up the colors, covers, and mounts to break up the cohesion and give it that “Frankenstein” feel. From neck to bridge:
  • DiMarzio Morse Neck
    • Nickel Cover, Nickel Screws
    • Mounted in a flat humbucker ring over the pickguard
  • DiMarzio True Velvet Neck
    • Aged white
    • Per DiMarzio CS, the closest available replacement for the VS-1/DP-108
  • DiMarzio HS-3
    • The no holes cover is a chromed plastic piece from Amazon to mimic the Tele neck
  • DiMarzio Morse Bridge
    • Cream/Nickel screws
I've been playing midi guitars for more than two decades... I have built a couple 'MIDI' guitars with the Ghost hexpander system, and they are way nicer than the GK3 has ever been for me. I recently bought the Fishman midi pickup, which again is not as good tracking as the Ghost (The Fishman is about on par with the GK3)

Good feedback, Ty. It confirms my suspicions, the more I research it seems like piezo is going to outperform any pitch-to-MIDI. Appreciate the advice!

DiMarzio HS-3
  • The no holes cover is a chromed plastic piece from Amazon to mimic the Tele neck

Ah, that was the one I was thinking what could that possibly be :)
piezo is going to outperform any pitch-to-MIDI.

Something to be aware of is that GK pickups do not do pitch to MIDI, they are individual analogue pickups. Any pitch to MIDI that may be needed occurs at the other end of the cable, within a unit such as a GR-55 etc.

Piezo such as the Ghost and Hexpander preamp system still output via a 13 pin jack individual signals. There is again no pitch to MIDI so these are not MIDI guitars either. It is a common misuse of the term. Not all will find Piezo based systems work better, and their mileage varies.

The newer Boss GK-5 which uses TRS connectors still sends separate signals but via a serial protocol, A2B, I believe. You then would need the relevant converter to use it with an existing 13 pin legacy device, such as the GR55 or earlier.

What are you using for conversion? My understanding is the Rolands and Yamaha G-50 (which I have) don't do piezo. There's a fundamental difference in the way they detect pitch - the Axon did but it's hard to find (there is one on reverb now for $600) Basically you get a wave, and a reflected wave between the pick point and the pickup, and this is inherently different between piezo (at the end) and magnetics (somewhere not at the end).

Looking awesome, and Rick Beato just interviewed Steve Morse (Beato’s YT channel), which is a must see!

Will you be playing “The Bash” on this cool guitar?
I have about… 15 seconds of the first solo under my fingers

One of the more challenging dregs tunes for sure!

I can play some of their less fast tempo stuff, Ice Cakes, What If, Refried Funky Chicken. It will be fun to learn more about the various sounds from the 4 pickup configuration.

Looking awesome, and Rick Beato just interviewed Steve Morse (Beato’s YT channel), which is a must see!
I just watched that today! I’ve watched so many Morse interviews and he always has something new to learn about in every one

I have about oh say a good 3 milliseconds of those same nots under my fingers.

What are you using for conversion? My understanding is the Rolands and Yamaha G-50 (which I have) don't do piezo. There's a fundamental difference in the way they detect pitch - the Axon did but it's hard to find (there is one on reverb now for $600) Basically you get a wave, and a reflected wave between the pick point and the pickup, and this is inherently different between piezo (at the end) and magnetics (somewhere not at the end).
The Ghost systems had a 13-pin output, ran them into various Roland guitar synths mostly. I have moved on from all that stuff... now I just have the Fishman TriplePlay which outputs MIDI across USB right into my DAW, driving various software synths. I could redirect it out a real MIDI port in one of my interfaces if I had the need...

I had a BOSS SY-300 for a while - now there's a device with very low latency!! I just didn't find its sounds were "synthy" enough for my liking (though it has tons of good stuff in it). Plus it has no MIDI out, and it's really nice to be able to get actual MIDI into the DAW, to drive other sound generators

Back