Telecaster Build

dcbrown73

This is my second Warmoth build. My first one was a quilted maple carved top Soloist body. I always wanted a Jackson Soloist, but never ended up buying one. So I built it!

I went all out on the esthetics for the Soloist. I did not do that with this Tele. I just got what I wanted, and didn't worry so much about "looks", though I do like the way it looks. I hope to finish assembling this one next week while I'm off for the holidays.

Anyhow, here is the Teles makeup
Body:
  • Swamp Ash body
  • Top: Cherry Burst
  • Back: Transparent Red (Burst-Over)
  • Satin
  • Contoured Heel
  • Tummy Cut
  • Forearm Contour
Neck:
  • Construction: Modern
  • Neck: Maple
  • Fretboard: Ebony
  • Radius: 9.5"->14"
  • Inlay: Mother of Pearl
  • Side Dots: Moon Glow
  • Nut: Earvana in GraphTech White
  • Finish: Vintage Tint Satin Nitro
Electronics / Hardware:
  • Bridge: Gotoh BS-TC1S In-Tune Bridge with Brass Saddles
  • Fishman Fluence Signature Greg Koch Gristle-Tone Pickups
  • Fender (Ping) Locking Tuners
  • Schaller Strap-Locks
1703281841064.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice. I still haven't finished My Tele. The paint reacted badly with the grain filler (should have sealed it first) so it had to be stripped down and re-sanded. I think I have the same bridge that you do. It's a Gotoh 3-saddle compensated bridge.
Like you, I want to keep it simple, appearing like a '52 with a few modern upgrades. Of course the color won't be a 1952 color.

How do you like the pickups?
I'm still finding my way around them, but that sounds pretty good. It has a good 50s tone and then with a push of the button I get the hotter 60s sounding tone out of them.

They are active picks and it's a little weird with the fact that you recharge them with a USB cable rather than a 9v. lol

One of the best parts is the jack is far more solid than your standard tele jack. I don't ever think it will break loose like I've seen with other tele jacks.

The biggest downside is the price tag on them. It's literally almost like buying both 50s and 60s vintage pickups. The upside is, you don't need to swap them out or have two teles to install them in. lol.

That said, I've already thought about replacing the pickups in my Fender tele with a set of these. We will see. I want to use them a bit more before I make that commitment.

You figure with my obsessions with guitars, their looks, and their sound. I would be a better player. rofl.

Back