feedback on 91/2-14 compound neck pls

WindsurfMaui

I'm constantly in search of perfection. (I know a bad characteristic to have. Very costly) I think I have found it with roasted maple necks, and with stainless steel frets but now I am curious about the 9 1/2" - 14 " compound necks profile. How does it compere to the 10" - 16" necks? is the 9 1/2 - 14 going to be where people transition to because it feels better both for chords and string bending? Can we get some feedback please. Thanks.

I don't have a 9,5 - 14" but do have a 9,5 to 12" (not Warmoth) and 10 - 16 " they are both playable and the difference between the two is not that noticeable I would say.

Other things to consider are the type of nut and bridge you might use which may inform your choice.

9 1/2 - 14 didn't seem like that big a change from the 10 - 16 but I assumed they added it because people were asking for it for some reason. I just don't know why.

9 1/2" to 14" is commonly associated with Fender, and 12" to 16" with Jackson.
I'm assuming that is the reason for the new offerings.
I have all three, Fender, Jackson and Warmoth compound necks, the deference is not noticeable.
Your best bet is to go out and demo some guitars, and see what you like best.

It makes a lot of sense for Warmoth to offer the new compound radius options.  Typically people want to emulate particular guitars from major brands they are familiar or already have in their collection.    If the customers can match the specs exactly with other guitars, it takes away some of the uncertainty from ordering guitar parts online.  There are also people who have objections to the 10-16" radius and it is kind of a bad feeling to be charged an extra fee for a fingerboard with a straight radius that would a baseline option with any other company.  The 9.5-14" option will appeal to people who believe that curved finger boards are easier for chording on.  Although I never understood that, Fender must know what they are doing.  Anyway 9.5-14" is becoming a standard feature on Fender USA necks, so that's likely to appeal to a lot of people.

In my case I know and understand that 10-16" compound radius is the ultimate to avoid fretting-out on bends.  However I simply prefer the fretboard to have a uniform shape from one end to the other to make it feel more uniform to my fingers, especially with 25.5" scale length.  With 24.75" scale necks the strings tend to feel floppy, so the compound radius is helpful to avoid fret buzz, while the playability isn't really a factor.    For Fender style guitars, I'm keen to try the flatter 12"-16" because I'm optimistic it could have some advantage to the straight 12" I've been using.  Hopefully I won't notice much difference in the feel apart from it being a tiny bit flatter. 

Well I guess I'm behind on my Fender updates. If Fender is offering the 9 1/2 - 14" that is why Warmoth is offering it. Warmoth has to offer whatever Fender is using as a standard to be considered a replacement neck supplier.

I would go to a store to try them out except we are locked down so no music stores are open. But I will do that once we are back to normal.

DarkPenguin what is it about the 7 1/4 that makes it feel so good to you?

Now I checked my info, Fender currently offer 9.5-14" radius on Elite and Ultra models.  I can't recall exactly which past models, but there were  other Fender guitars going back about 6 years or more.  Even before that, Suhr had used 10-14" compound radius on "Pro series" guitars, and 9-12" radius on other s-style guitars.

Back