Eggle New York hollow

ramonet

A new project it's going on, a hollow body inspired in the Patrick Eggle New York model. I'm tempted to try to make my version of this little guitar but in a special way. When I first tried this axe it's sound resembles me the Rickenbacker tones so I'm going to go this way; Rick pickup in the neck and a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in the bridge.
This is an aproximate mock up

Attachments

• mock up copia.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 80
African mahogany core and neck, rosewood fingerboard and flame maple for the top and the back. It's going to have a faux binding in natural maple but I haven't decided the final colour, maybe in trans black, blue or red; any sugestions?
Here are the woods, ready to start

Attachments

• DSCN3059.JPG
    659.3 KB · Views: 10
To have a perfect 90º angle from the top to the center joint I've prepared this hi-tech jig: sandpaper fixed to the table with double-face tape and two square pipes clamped to the table. It's cheap, easy and works!

Attachments

• DSCN3060.JPG
    627.9 KB · Views: 15
Gluing and clamping the mahogany core

Attachments

• DSCN3061.JPG
    504.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN3063.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 3
Maple top and back raw cut. Previously I've trued them, joined and glued (sorry, no pics). After I've started this project a customer called me to ask for one of my Art Deco lap steels so maybe I must stop this project to attend him. I think I'm going to make an Art Deco one and a more traditional style one and let him choose (or if I'm lucky maybe he take both if the price is right)

Attachments

• DSCN3064.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 22
Maple top and back, and african mohogany core in raw cut version

Attachments

• DSCN3066.JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 13
Cutting the headstock with my ryoba saw, and the headstock planed. It's going to have an ebony + sycamore cap

Attachments

• DSCN3070.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN3071.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 2
the truss rod channel and this installed. It's time to attach the fretboard

Attachments

• DSCN3073.JPG
    600.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3072.JPG
    578.2 KB · Views: 3
as in my previous LP build, the headstock it's going to have a double laminate; this time it's sycamore and ebony. I put the ofcut from the headstock on the bottom to have a flt surface for the clamps and to avoid the laminates slip. It works great!!!

Attachments

• DSCN3074.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 5
the fretboard glued and clamped. The nails are to avoid slipping

Attachments

• DSCN3077.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 11
neck and headstock raw cut. The next step is sans flush the fretboard sides and go for the frets

Attachments

• DSCN3087.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 8
fretboad pearl dots installed and sanded. The frets are in, trimed and filed to 35º. It's time to stard dressing the ends

Attachments

• DSCN3093.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 19
do you have any suggestion about the final colour? I've tried in scarp pieces in trans red, amber and black, but I can't decide. Maybe I try with trans dark blue

Might be worth it to go into Warmoth's body builder and try on some colors there.

This project it's going slow because I have received two order for two lap steels, one in my "art deco" design and another one "as I want" so I'm going in a new direction (more traditional). For the moment, a little update: the neck it's going quite nice. What do you think?

Attachments

• DSCN3121.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3122.JPG
    445.9 KB · Views: 14
As I told you before, this project it's going slow because the two lap steel guitars I'm doing now. The first one it's being finished right now and the second one is in a very raw stage, so I con go a little to this one. To have access to the electronics I don't want to go to the usual cover plate so I cut a slice of the back plate to be the acces. It's mostly the same thad Pedulla does in some of their basses.

Attachments

• DSCN3137.JPG
    351.2 KB · Views: 9
The core it's going to be hollow so I've drilled some pilot holes for the jig saw

Attachments

• DSCN3138.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 5
Back