Eggle New York hollow

One side hollowed, it's time to move to the other one

Attachments

• DSCN3139.JPG
    588.1 KB · Views: 18
I'm so amazed by people who can do this kind of woodworking. Such skill and talent. Kudos.

Does it bug you at all that the fret slots are deeper than the fret tangs?

ramonet said:
fretboad pearl dots installed and sanded. The frets are in, trimed and filed to 35º. It's time to stard dressing the ends

clamping the maple back to the mahogany core. I've added a small piece of wood to have a place to put a screw for the control plate

Attachments

• DSCN3142.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN3144.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 1
using a fostner bit to start with the neck pocket, to save the router bit for the final step

Attachments

• DSCN3150.JPG
    571.6 KB · Views: 9
The neck is glued. This operation must be done before the top is in place because the tenon is really long. I've choosed this option because most of the fretboard is "out of the body" so I've tried to make the joint really stroing going a lot inside the body.

Attachments

• DSCN3163.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN3161.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 13
As the Rick neck pickup is really tall, I must route a hole in the top and I've prefered to cut this before the top is glued to the core because the neck and fingerboard are going to distrub me working there with the router

Attachments

• DSCN3171.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 1
Top glued to the body. A lot of clamps! After this pic I've found some more clamps and added to the empty parts

Attachments

• DSCN3174.JPG
    535.2 KB · Views: 4
Proof positive that you can never have enough clamps. Back when I had a full-blown wood shop, I must've had a hundred of the little buggers and I'd still either run out or end up using oversized clamps for small work.

Looks good, though. I don't subscribe to the "set neck vs. bolt-on" argument that asks you to believe one method sounds better than the other, but there's certainly an aesthetic quality to a set neck that a bolt-on will never have.

Man this is looking great. The more I look at this thread the more I really like that body shape. I might have to try doing something like this.

sanding flush the two tops with the core, it's a pain!!! One question: my original plan was to dye the guitar in trans black or trans red, leaving the sides of the maple as a faux binding but this process don't give me the chance to sculpt the heel. What do you think?: double bound and no sculpt, single binding on top and scuplt the heel... Any suggestion?

Attachments

• DSCN3246.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 5
Another question: I'm also doing a lap steel with this headstock shape...

Attachments

• DSCN3248.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 2
Back