Does anyone else like/collect knives?

mrpinter

Here is my modest little collection: 3 Spydercos, 2 Benchmades, 3 Case pocketknives, an Extrema Ratio, and a Klotzli folder. What have you got?
MP knife collection 3-16-24 sm.jpg

I have 3 cheap Gerber folders. All with their ?plastic composite? LW bodies.

My nephew enjoys knives. It was a tradition that every Christmas his grandfather got him one. When the grandfather (father in law) passed away, I took over the tradition. Have a huge knife store within 60 minutes.

We got a grinder / knife / saw / cleaver / slicer... for just about anything but only as it relates to butchering, cleaning fish, slicing etc. If there's food to chop we can do it. But I don't think that really counts as a collection. Saves a lot of money if you do it yourself.

The nicest knife I ever had was a Swamp Rat knife, it was a little shy of 4” and I was able to split logs with it in a pinch while overseas without so much as a chip. Tough bugger. Ended up giving it to a younger Marine as I was getting out.

Now I have a very cheap knife - it’s a $25 flipper from a brand called “Honey Badger”. I have far less use for a knife these days so it’s a glorified package opener and occasional whittler. For that, the HB is fine.

I have a Swiss Army knife with a few blades and some kitchen knifes. More for practicality, but knifes are not something I would be collecting.

I have a Swiss Army knife with a few blades and some kitchen knifes. More for practicality, but knifes are not something I would be collecting.
I don't doubt it, since you're in the UK. By the way, Spyderco makes a slipjoint folding knife called the UK Penknife, which was designed for places where locking folders are illegal, and it has a long enough blade to be useful. Swiss Army knives are great tools, btw.

Last edited:
I don't doubt it, since you're in the UK. By the way, Spyderco makes a slipjoint folding knife called the UK Penknife, which was designed for places where locking folders are illegal, and it has a long enough blade to be useful. Swiss Army knives are great tools, btw.

Well, not only is there the legality of such knives, I, personally, would not want to collect knives in any case.

I found smaller versions of a couple of my knives, and I couldn't resist, so I bought them. In the top photo: the top knife is a Spyderco Delica 4, and the bottom one is a Dragonfly 2. Both have VG10 blades and hand-dyed handles (a traditional Japanese art, called Zome). Both are lock-back knives. In the bottom photo, the top knife is an Extrema Ratio BF1 CD folder, and the bottom one is a BF0 CD. Extrema Ratio is an Italian company, and they originally designed the BF1 for the Italian police. Both ER's have blades of a special cobalt alloy, and the handles are aircraft grade aluminum, with steel liners. These are liner locks.
spydercos 2.jpg
extrema ratios 2.jpg

I don't collect knives or know much about them, but I do have a few interesting things to add:
  • My cousin Jared is a master knife maker. In fact, he won one of the Forged in Fire competitions. Jared's Forge.
  • I inherited some knives and a WWII bayonet some years ago. I threw them up on Ebay last month and was gob smacked at how much they went for. One of them was a Buck that went for $400. I had no idea knives were that kind of coin.

Here is my modest little collection: 3 Spydercos, 2 Benchmades, 3 Case pocketknives, an Extrema Ratio, and a Klotzli folder. What have you got?
I do have quite a collection of knives, although I don't actively collect them know (now I collect guitars, apparently). In fact, I have some of the same knives you show there - several of the SpyderCo, and also I have a couple of Benchmade 940.

I don't collect em either. I have further thoughts on this, but will spare everyone the proverbial deets. I have nothing against collecting, just the carrying thing.

Last edited:
Because my cousin Jared is in the biz I went to the Portland knife show two years ago to support him. While I was there I learned that the figured wood market for knife builders is very similar to that of guitar builders. Lots of vendors had beautiful exotic wood blanks for sale, cut in various sizes for knife handles.

It made me feel a little more at home in an environment I otherwise knew little about.

It was interesting though...

I don't collect knives or know much about them, but I do have a few interesting things to add:
  • My cousin Jared is a master knife maker. In fact, he won one of the Forged in Fire competitions. Jared's Forge.
  • I inherited some knives and a WWII bayonet some years ago. I threw them up on Ebay last month and was gob smacked at how much they went for. One of them was a Buck that went for $400. I had no idea knives were that kind of coin.
I'm sure I saw your cousin on that show as I watched all of them. It was impressive what those guys could do in such short time.

Another good resource to sell knives is bladeforums-dot-com. That reminds me, I need to unload my knives...

I'm sure I saw your cousin on that show as I watched all of them. It was impressive what those guys could do in such short time.

He won by making some kind of African blade. I think it was called a "hunga munga".

EDIT: I managed to find it on YouTube:

Back