What Warmoth guitars have a 4 knob LP style option (and other questions)?

sdeeg

Hello all. First time post here.

I currently have a LP Studio in the dual humbucker slot in my collection, but I don't like playing it. It's heavy and non-contoured and just doesn't bring joy. But I really need (NEED!) a HH instrument. Since I've totally given up on factory guitars I've been combing the Warmoth site trying to decide on a body to use to build a replacement (I've previously built a Warmoth Tele Thinline and have a Warmoth neck on a horribly cheap Strat style body from a StewMac kit). As part of my research I started reading the posts here and thought "wow, here's a friendly, knowledgable community, I bet some of the folks here can point me in the right direction". Here's what I'm thinking:

The first criteria is weight. No more solid bodies for me. Semi-hollow or chambered. I'd like an instrument that has at least a tummy contour. I'm a big wimp and playing something without one, such as the thinline, for 3 hours doesn't feel so nice on the ol ribs. I also like a forearm contour, but am a little more flexible on that. The other thing I'd like is to have the 4 knob LP style controls. I never learned to use them well, and I'd like to have them so I can. So far, the only thing I've found that seems to check all those boxes is the Mooncaster.

So, on to the questions (finally! ;-) ) .... Are the control cavities in other models large enough to support 4 knobs? For example, what about a chambered carved top VIP? You can do Strat or PRS style controls, but is it big enough to do 4 knobs and a switch (or maybe have the switch on the upper horn)? Or coming from another direction, can a carved top Tele, which does support the 4 knob layout be done with a tummy contour? I loved the look of the one recently done by Anfulcar, but it's got that square edge on the back. And while I've tried to be diligent going through the options on the Warmoth site, it is a bit cumbersome and I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing, especially since there are "off menu" options available. What else do you think I should be looking at?

Secondary question 1 - I like a forearm contour, but am willing to consider other options. Do the carved tops, like a Mooncaster or VIP etc., somewhat mitigate the harsh edge of something like a Tele standard where it's 90 degrees? Or is it just a case where I need to adjust my playing style to have it not be annoying?

Secondary question 2 - To wood mount or not to wood mount the humbuckers. Any opinions on the good/bad for either?

Thanks for reading! All thoughts and opinions gratefully received.

Off the top of my head: Regal, Mooncaster, rear rout standard Tele, carved top Tele (excluding 2 f-holes), Tele Deluxe, Tele Custom, Diamondback, & WGD. Edit: and rear rout Thinline, I think.

Last edited:
The Velocity has a large rear cavity, has comfort contours and available chambered, humbucker routes.

Imle (in my limited experience) pickup ring or pickguard mount are easier to set height.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head: Regal, Mooncaster, rear rout standard Tele, carved top Tele (excluding 2 f-holes), Tele Deluxe, Tele Custom, Diamondback, & WGD. Edit: and rear rout Thinline, I think.
Hi J-Bones. Thank you for your reply. You are correct that those models do come with the LP control option (which is what I asked), although most of them don't meet my other criteria for hollow/chambered and with a tummy contour. However, I did go through the list and found that the Tele Standard Replacement body does offer all the options. Who knew! :) I also took another look at the WGD, which despite being solid body looks pretty small, and it occurred to me that I could get an unfinished one and add the contouring myself (or see if W will do it as an off menu customization). I probably won't do that for a HH setup, but there's going to be a dual P90s in my future so we'll see.

The Velocity has a large rear cavity, has comfort contours and available chambered, humbucker routes.

Imle (in my limited experience) pickup ring or pickguard mount are easier to set height.
Hi Teleme. Thanks for replying. I was looking at the Velocity, but it was impossible to tell if the LP controls would fit. I'll put it on my short list of options to ask the W sales team about.

The wood mount humbuckers look kinda cool, but the foam on the back does seem a bit dodgy. I was thinking about a blue and white color scheme, and white p/u rings might look nice.

Hi Teleme. Thanks for replying. I was looking at the Velocity, but it was impossible to tell if the LP controls would fit. I'll put it on my short list of options to ask the W sales team about.

The wood mount humbuckers look kinda cool, but the foam on the back does seem a bit dodgy. I was thinking about a blue and white color scheme, and white p/u rings might look nice.
I’m fairly certain you could get LP controls on any guitar with the large rear rout (it’s a big hole)

Foam is as good a spring for pickups as a metal spring. Lots of guitars use it as part of mounting, and you can cut it to fit the cavity perfectly.

The biggest thing to consider with direct mount humbuckers is that you will either want threaded inserts or be willing to expand the hole on the humbucker baseplate for a wood screw that will provide stability. A pickup ring is much easier.

I’m fairly certain you could get LP controls on any guitar with the large rear rout (it’s a big hole)

Foam is as good a spring for pickups as a metal spring. Lots of guitars use it as part of mounting, and you can cut it to fit the cavity perfectly.

The biggest thing to consider with direct mount humbuckers is that you will either want threaded inserts or be willing to expand the hole on the humbucker baseplate for a wood screw that will provide stability. A pickup ring is much easier.
I have looked at this a few times and it may not be a 1:1 of the Gibson spacing but fitting a parallelogram shape of 4 pot in the standard control cavity is definitely do able.

The hard part would be the upper switch but if that isnt a deal breaker then putting it in the control cavity would work.

I’m fairly certain you could get LP controls on any guitar with the large rear rout (it’s a big hole
This is what I've suspected, but inquiring minds want to know.
Foam is as good a spring for pickups as a metal spring ... A pickup ring is much easier.
Also great information. I can see the ring as being cleaner as less room for garbage to get into the cavity.

I have looked at this a few times and it may not be a 1:1 of the Gibson spacing but fitting a parallelogram shape of 4 pot in the standard control cavity is definitely do able.

The hard part would be the upper switch but if that isnt a deal breaker then putting it in the control cavity would work.
I don't need it to be exactly like the Gibson spacing, just that it won't be overly cramped. I guess it's time to create a short list and then give W sales a call and see what they can do for me. I'd like to have them drill the holes as I don't want to have to do it once it's finished (I suck at finishing so I let them do it), but that may be the route I have to go.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hello all. First time post here.

I currently have a LP Studio in the dual humbucker slot in my collection, but I don't like playing it. It's heavy and non-contoured and just doesn't bring joy. But I really need (NEED!) a HH instrument. Since I've totally given up on factory guitars I've been combing the Warmoth site trying to decide on a body to use to build a replacement (I've previously built a Warmoth Tele Thinline and have a Warmoth neck on a horribly cheap Strat style body from a StewMac kit). As part of my research I started reading the posts here and thought "wow, here's a friendly, knowledgable community, I bet some of the folks here can point me in the right direction". Here's what I'm thinking:

The first criteria is weight. No more solid bodies for me. Semi-hollow or chambered. I'd like an instrument that has at least a tummy contour. I'm a big wimp and playing something without one, such as the thinline, for 3 hours doesn't feel so nice on the ol ribs. I also like a forearm contour, but am a little more flexible on that. The other thing I'd like is to have the 4 knob LP style controls. I never learned to use them well, and I'd like to have them so I can. So far, the only thing I've found that seems to check all those boxes is the Mooncaster.

So, on to the questions (finally! ;-) ) .... Are the control cavities in other models large enough to support 4 knobs? For example, what about a chambered carved top VIP? You can do Strat or PRS style controls, but is it big enough to do 4 knobs and a switch (or maybe have the switch on the upper horn)? Or coming from another direction, can a carved top Tele, which does support the 4 knob layout be done with a tummy contour? I loved the look of the one recently done by Anfulcar, but it's got that square edge on the back. And while I've tried to be diligent going through the options on the Warmoth site, it is a bit cumbersome and I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing, especially since there are "off menu" options available. What else do you think I should be looking at?

Secondary question 1 - I like a forearm contour, but am willing to consider other options. Do the carved tops, like a Mooncaster or VIP etc., somewhat mitigate the harsh edge of something like a Tele standard where it's 90 degrees? Or is it just a case where I need to adjust my playing style to have it not be annoying?

Secondary question 2 - To wood mount or not to wood mount the humbuckers. Any opinions on the good/bad for either?

Thanks for reading! All thoughts and opinions gratefully received.
I built a chambered mahogany/all maple necked vip. It's about 7.8lbs

For your situation, have you considered stacked pots?

Gotoh makes knurled metal knobs for them in chrome, black, cosmo, and gold.

Velocity body using the standard rear control route with 4 knobs. It's a little tight but very doable
W00t! Thanks for validating my suspicions. And that's a very nice looking instrument. How did you do the wiring? Any coil splitting?

I'm thinking of really going off the reservation and drilling a cavity on the upper horn for a LP style switch. Need to take a look at the actual body before I dive into that though. I'm super nervous about effing it up, but no guts no glory.

W00t! Thanks for validating my suspicions. And that's a very nice looking instrument. How did you do the wiring? Any coil splitting?

I'm thinking of really going off the reservation and drilling a cavity on the upper horn for a LP style switch. Need to take a look at the actual body before I dive into that though. I'm super nervous about effing it up, but no guts no glory.

The Volume knobs can be pulled up to switch to single coils for their respective pickup

Be bold, go forth and drill

Back