Esquire with 2 pickup toggle?

Heft

Hey!
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Esquire circuit hooked to a 3 way toggle control for 2 pickups? What I would like is to apply the Esquire circuit to two pickups essentially. I have a Warmoth body with the routes for an upper 3 way toggle and a telecaster control plate.
Thanks,
Heft

An Esquire circuit is for one pickup using a blade switch that has 2 poles. It does not have enough terminals to add a second pickup.

Forgetting about toggle switches for a moment, if you add a second pickup, would you want to be able to select pickups, have both pickups on at the same time all of the time, have the Esquire type circuit act on just the bridge pickup or both etc. ????

Would you also be using a blade switch on the control plate?

But what would be the point of Esquire wiring which has the idea of emulating more than one pickup when you actually have two pickups?

Back to toggle switches, a standard 3 way toggle does not have enough terminals to do Esquire wiring for a single pickup.

So no I doubt anyone will have a wiring diagram as asked about.

Hey!
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Esquire circuit hooked to a 3 way toggle control for 2 pickups? What I would like is to apply the Esquire circuit to two pickups essentially. I have a Warmoth body with the routes for an upper 3 way toggle and a telecaster control plate.
Thanks,
Heft
You would just wire the output of the upper toggle in place of the pickup hot in an esquire circuit.

So, what do you want?

When you say Esquire circuit you mean single pickup Pickup 1 no tone, 2 with tone, 3 with treble cut?

With two pickups? 3 way to select the pickup and use the tone control to give you ^^ 3? And one of those no-load tone pots to cut that thing all the way out of the circuit, that would give you ^^ 1 but with potentially both pickups?

Which I think, is a modern Telecaster circuit.

Something more interesting would be to combine the three way toggle with a four way selector switch. I did something like that, though I used a three way mini switch in lieu of the toggle and used a strat 5 way. Also, it had strat pup in the middle, mini humbucker in lieu of tele pup in the neck.

9-way (1).png

https://unofficialwarmoth.com/attachments/9-way-png.43940/

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you mean, a three way switch to choose the pickup(s) which then goes into a Esquire circuit, I think that would work if you used the output of the selector switch as you would the output of the single pickup of the Esquire.

Not sure why though. :unsure:

I think Heft needs to be clearer in what he is asking.

If it is adding a toggle as a pickup selector and then onto a blade wired as an Esquire wiring then

You would just wire the output of the upper toggle in place of the pickup hot in an esquire circuit.

And wire the hot wires of each of the two pickups to the inputs of the toggle.

A little different, since this diagram is for a two pickup Tele.

I have it one of my Strats though and use a 5 way switch with the neck pickup as the middle setting.

Then I can combine it with either the hot tap of the bridge pickup or the vintage tap.

And of course get either the hot or vintage output of the bridge pickup all alone in switch positions #1 and 5.

I use the Duncan Custom Shop version. The 53 Hot Tapped or something like that.

It's the one Seymour uses, it's alnico 2, and it sounds great with the Fralin True Vintage i have as the neck pickup.

In an Esquire you can use a 3 way switch to choose hot or vintage and then use the third position to bypass volume and tone, or the opposite with the tone turned way down to a sweet spot, or to whatever you want.

1699493787560.png

Back