DIFFERENCE IN SOUND: PRO NECK VS. VINTAGE MODERN NECK

thephatboi

i was wondering if any of you have noticed a difference in sound between the Warmoth Pro necks and Vintage Modern necks. I was thinking the VM necks might be a bit warmer/woodier with less metal in the truss rod design...? This would be for a strat, imagine same wood, one neck is Pro one is VM....

thephatboi said:
i was wondering if any of you have noticed a difference in sound between the Warmoth Pro necks and Vintage Modern necks. I was thinking the VM necks might be a bit warmer/woodier with less metal in the truss rod design...? This would be for a strat, imagine same wood, one neck is Pro one is VM....

If'n ya want the woody tone (uh huh huh huh huh) go Vintage Modern... groovy mids.

Honestly, the difference between truss rods sounds quite trivial to me.

There are a million other factors to consider, and I doubt that you would be able to pinpoint the difference between truss rod designs, given all the other variables that come into play.

There are alot of differences between the 2 necks, so I would rather choose the neck that works best for you, rather than choosing a neck that you don't want in order to get such a small difference in sound

line6man said:
Honestly, the difference between truss rods sounds quite trivial to me.

There are a million other factors to consider, and I doubt that you would be able to pinpoint the difference between truss rod designs, given all the other variables that come into play.

There are alot of differences between the 2 necks, so I would rather choose the neck that works best for you, rather than choosing a neck that you don't want in order to get such a small difference in sound

agreed. there's a much bigger difference in tone when it comes to neckthickness than trussroddesign. a friend of mine did an experiment one. he had a neck with a modern trussrod, and put in an 'older' one, or vice versa, can't remember. but that tone was negligable. but when he shaved the neck to a slimmer profile (it was a fatback), the tone changed dramatically.

The hardcore vintage guys insist that there's a huge difference - there is a big difference in weight, but I've never A/B'd them. You'd seriously have to buy two otherwise-identical necks, play them on the same guitar, tape your sessions, use an oscilloscope & a frequency analyzer - bah. I do greatly dislike the Gotoh side adjuster - putting little bits of bent sheet metal, wedges and screws on tone-bearing stress areas can't be good for you - but there are work-arounds (lefties etc.) I was lucky enough to get my scalloped neck before (2001) Warmoth came up with that goodie...

I tried to get Warmoth to build me a pro Tele neck without the Gotoh, but they wouldn't do it - I guess it's part of the headstock routing, otherwise why can they build a lefty without it?  :icon_scratch: If you go to TDPRI or the USACG forum, you'll see that the Warmoth Gotoh side adjuster is the best sales tool USA Custom Guitar, Allparts and Musikraft (yuk!) could've dreamed of.... people over there are wondering how long before it becomes optional, then slips quietly back under the waves (glub glub glub).

Almost all of my necks are Warmoth Pros, but given the same wood/neck profile/pickups there really isn't any tonal difference I can discern. The Pro neck trussrod design makes for a much stabler neck that rarely if ever needs re-adjusting, which is why I'm sold on them.

Interestingly, I like the side adjuster.  It works pretty well for me.

Left handed instruments are an issue that needs to be addressed however.

The Gotoh side adjuster has helped Warmoth to sell alot more necks. I guess if that makes other neck builders exited, then cool; we appreciate the support. Believe me, the side adjuster won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Our customers like it too much.

If another neck builder cannot offer something that Warmoth can, then it would not be in their best interest to talk well of it. In fact, talking it down may get them a sale or two, right up until the customer figures out that they've been led astray by a negative scare tactic.

Personally, I've got a number of both the Warmoth Pro and Vintage Modern necked built guitars. If you want more of a woody tone then Vintage Modern is the way to go. But, if you want a more balanced and even frequency response, then a Warmoth Pro is your ticket. These are just my opinions of course, but I know from experience that thousands of Warmoth customers agree with me.

BTW, the Double Expanding Truss Rod weighs a bit more than our Vintage Rod, but by the time you stretch that difference along the entire length of the neck it minimizes the perceived difference. Switching from one of my guitars to another, I'm never aware of a neck weight difference.

Back