Custom Headstock Q

TBurst Std

Curious, has anyone built a 3x3 headstock off of the straight paddle versus the tilt-back paddle?
I ask as I was looking to go Pau Ferro, but W does not offer that neck wood with tilt-backs.

I can't think of a reason why that wouldn't kick ass.
I think it's just held by tradition that 3x3's are on an angled headstock.

This probably requires a phone call or email. It's probably not common enough request to a regular choice on the neck builder.

Warmoth will meet most requests if you contact them.  They will quote you a price for you to accept before starting fabrication.

However, you can also cut your own headstock by ordering a paddle head.  Here is a traditional Fender Snake Head 3 x 3 headstock.

TelecasterSnakehead.jpg

Unwound G said:
Warmoth will meet most requests if you contact them.  They will quote you a price for you to accept before starting fabrication.

However, you can also cut your own headstock by ordering a paddle head.  Here is a traditional Fender Snake Head 3 x 3 headstock.

TelecasterSnakehead.jpg

Many thanks!. I really do not have the tools to do a great job on cutting my own headstock.

Really? I was thinking a band saw and a drum sander (for curves), band sander (for straights).
I can get a coping saw and use a hand sander? and get a really good result?

TBurst Std said:
Really? I was thinking a band saw and a drum sander (for curves), band sander (for straights).

Hand tools can get a good result. I modified a headstock with a coping saw here:

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=14679.msg209587#msg209587

I have to get back to that project soon.

TBurst Std said:
Curious, has anyone built a 3x3 headstock off of the straight paddle versus the tilt-back paddle?
I ask as I was looking to go Pau Ferro, but W does not offer that neck wood with tilt-backs.

The tilt back isn't available in every wood combo because of the scarf joint and glueing issues.  Oilier exotics sometimes just don't take.  I remember an all Rosewood tiltback request issue in another thread.

I think that's why he's asking if anybody has built a 3x3 headstock on a straight paddle. Pay attention! <grin>

I have a similar issue in that I'd like the same thing, but in a 24 3/4" scale. Or, better still, a Warmoth head on a 24 3/4" scale straight headstock neck, so I could get either a pau ferro, goncalo alves, or black korina neck. None of those are available when using tilt-back heads.

I'm noticing they don't offer exotic woods in the straight paddle necks, either. Wonder why that is?

TBurst Std said:

If you have minimal sanding skills and patience yes...

FernandoEsteves said:
TBurst Std said:

You can always practice on scrap wood.  Then again, if you get it right with scrap wood, you can borrow a friend's router and use that as a template.  Many people actually prefer hand tools when working with expensive pieces, because the slower pace can help to avoid huge mistakes that happen in a split second.

That's true. With a router, you can take a big unrepairable bite out of a chunk of wood in less than the blink of an eye if you're not careful. Table saws have been known to throw things. Drill presses have been known to slap the snot out of you and your workpiece both... the list is long. But, it's impossible to ignore the time savings, accuracy and repeatability you can get, too.

FernandoEsteves said:
TBurst Std said:

Minimal sanding skills... check
Patience... nope, but I got some on order from Amazon, overnight shipping.

I like the idea - I'd love a 3x3 Warmoth headstock looking  shape on a straight neck with straight string pulls. But I'm extremely reluctant to throw $302 into an exotic neck and the carve away my chances at ebaying it if I didn't like it.

There's a fair chance they can do the Warmoth headstock shape on a non-tiltback if you call.  That's a shape they'd probably have 'on-file'

swarfrat said:
I like the idea - I'd love a 3x3 Warmoth headstock looking  shape on a straight neck with straight string pulls. But I'm extremely reluctant to throw $302 into an exotic neck and the carve away my chances at ebaying it if I didn't like it.

Have you reviewed the prices used necks bring on eBay? I don't mean what they're listed at, but what they actually sell for? Unless it's really exotic (ebony neck wood, Brazilian rosewood fingerboards, etc.) they don't command a great deal of money anyway. So, I wouldn't let resale price get in the way of building something you want. That's a loser right out of the gate. Warmoth is already getting the maximum price those necks will ever command. It only goes down from there.

Well then my neck might just be $347 instead. I think the W shape might need some tweaking to get straight pulls. Need to mock it up tonight. Or just put a strat headstock on it.

swarfrat said:
FernandoEsteves said:
TBurst Std said:

Minimal sanding skills... check
Patience... nope, but I got some on order from Amazon, overnight shipping.

Exactly where I am going with this. I sent W an email yesterday on it.

Back