Coronavirus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let there be good health and fortune to all at this time. While cliche' it's still true, One Day at a Time. We can, and will persevere. But cooler heads must prevail to achieve this, and I think they will. Hopefully.  :icon_thumright:

The Aaron said:
molul said:
Stay safe, Aaron. Let's hope this pass as quickly as possible.

What this means for me is that I get to stay at home and make even more videos of me playing an even wider variety of styles on a even huger range of Warmoth guitars.

Sounds awful.  Try to stay strong.  :p

New poster here, but I wanted to jump into this thread. I ordered a bass body and neck on Feb 14th and I was watching this thread anticipating Warmoth joining the rest of us in a quarantine shutdown. So I was not surprised earlier today when that did happen. But then I did get one happy surprise, Warmoth must be using the last of their time packing boxes because I got a UPS notification. I'm pretty happy to have a bass to build during this time of necessary confinement.

Anyway, stay safe, stay healthy, and lets all get through this tough time together. Best of luck to everyone and thanks so much to the folks at Warmoth for getting my order out at the last minute.

Yea, I was close to ordering a body for a build, but I'll just wait now, see if they are back up and running in a couple weeks. So many differing thoughts on this, could be a lot of areas will be down for a month or two, or not.
Non essentials only closed in 2 counties in Florida I think, so far, but the numbers will continue up for awhile. Only 6 confirmed cases in my county thus far, but about 100 in Palm Beach County, where the research labs I work at are, so we have a partial shut down, which really means skeleton crews, as we can't shut down completely. Several of the labs are working on covid-19, so they aren't going anywhere.

I AM a robot said:
New poster here, but I wanted to jump into this thread. I ordered a bass body and neck on Feb 14th and I was watching this thread anticipating Warmoth joining the rest of us in a quarantine shutdown. So I was not surprised earlier today when that did happen. But then I did get one happy surprise, Warmoth must be using the last of their time packing boxes because I got a UPS notification. I'm pretty happy to have a bass to build during this time of necessary confinement.

Anyway, stay safe, stay healthy, and lets all get through this tough time together. Best of luck to everyone and thanks so much to the folks at Warmoth for getting my order out at the last minute.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here, and look forward to your involvement.

I'm also glad you managed to make it in under the wire for your parts. Gives you (and hopefully us as well) something to look forward to. Note: we love progress pics. If you need any help, there's a lot here, and a lotta talented people happy to pass along what they know.

As for that Captcha thing... it's deliberately set to the highest difficulty to keep the spambots and other ne'er-do-wells down to a dull roar, and it takes several posts for the forum to get used to you. I think it's set for 3? Maybe 5 entries?, I don't remember. Anyway, it'll go away once you've settled in a bit.

Have fun, and keep safe!

My thought is most states will follow. Some as a medical necessity, some due to social pressure, but it seems like it's inevitable.

One things for sure, in the coming weeks many interesting conversations will be had. How much of the panic and hysteria was artificially manufactured vs. the actual devastation of the virus? Where are the mortality rates headed? So many retired folks both healthy and sick are financially devastated. Retirement income gone. 30%+ of their life's efforts evaporated in 5 days. Trillions of bailout money going to God knows who. Will this mutate into the second coming of the Spanish Flu or be less severe than a common cold for the vast majority of humanity? We are going to learn so much in the next few weeks and months.

Months ago I was trying to get some equipment so my people could work from home, and a bean counter asks me what kind of emergency and I said the kind that could keep them away from home unexpectedly. Denied. If only I had said global pandemic and ... they’d be trapped in their homes for weeks perhaps months. She woulda said .. oh of course.  Geez why wasn’t thinking?!

Don't beat yourself up. I'm quite sure there's one helluva lotta 20-20 hindsight looking around right now.

My roommate, who's a long-time smoker, is quite paranoid about this whole thing as he's sure an infection will be a death sentence, and doesn't have any smokes.

I've been sharing mine, but at this rate, we're gonna be out in about a week...

iu

I do have a secret weapon, though - nearly 3 months worth of nicotine patches. I'd already planned to quit soon. We'll see how that works out.

Surfacing briefly after a long time away.

I work for one of the health services in Australia and the last few months have been a truly wild ride. From emergency health response to bushfires straight into emergency health response to the virus. There's been the additional workload relating the virus obviously, but also fewer people to handle BAU, and new emergencies appearing in apparently unrelated portfolios every day. Our ICUs are looking to roughly double capacity in the coming weeks. Here's hoping that's enough.

Stay safe and stay home unless it's absolutely essential to go out. This is going to be a hell of a story to tell the grandkids some day.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for all that you do.

I feel like a total jerk though. I already forgot all about the fires the same way I've forgotten about Harvey, Katrina, BP oil spill, Haiti, Zika, H1N1, etc.

I really need to slow down and open my eyes.

Cactus Jack said:
I really need to slow down and open my eyes.

There are many who do, you are not alone...

Where are bailouts going, trying to keep industries afloat so there will be jobs to go back to. Governments covering peoples wages up to a certain level etc. responding to the health needs of the health services etc etc.

There is enough to see around the world to know where the US will be in a few weeks despite denial from some quarters who ought to be more responsible.

It is serious.
And I have a cool head.

Panic buying and hoarding are something that needs to stop as that is creating needless shortages and means some end up not being able to get hold of needed supplies.

And Italian Mayor's spell it out for those not taking notice. In a way only the Italian's can.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFnG-utTCXY
[/youtube]

Woah, full on down-shut at the Big W. stay well my dudes, and come back strong. i know da herb is legal out there so if that is how some of yo folks spend their downtime (assuming those shops are considered essential, as they should be), be sure to tip your budtender (also your ranchtender)

Lol I love pot but I wouldn't advice people smoking these days. Not for lung problems and coronavirus, but because it's a very tense moment in history. I would personally go nuts by being alone at home and watching news everyday being stoned xD

And I've continuously smoked pot for years, but now, I think it's not a right moment. Just my two cents :)

It’s taken about a week to set everyone up, and now we can start operating, in a fashion.  I wish I could talk about the issues we got for tomorrow but I’ll just say ... here’s a video of me working from home.  Wait for it .... wait for it ... when it gets to the right spot everyone say ... Leonard Bernstein!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY[/youtube]

Coronavirus: Prince Charles tests positive
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52033845

Virus show it power of NO Discrimination , no matter how powerful you are,  no matter what you wearing, no matter where did you show up , virus can get there .

also about powerful people, No sure it good news for USA or not , the enemy ,
Coronavirus kills more Iran religious leader than anything else:
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/middle-east/iran-says-coronavirus-kills-member-of-top-clerical-body

Why in Iran ? Because they are stubbornly contempt scientists and new knowledge.

So to over power virus , is the mindset like Bill Gates , and many other great mind interviews by Lex .

Cagey said:
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here, and look forward to your involvement.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be sure to start a thread for the progress of the build when it arrives next week. And hopefully I won't need to start too many other threads asking for help.

I'm very handy in general and feeling pretty confident. But hopefully not too confident.

Hendrix said:
Coronavirus: Prince Charles tests positive
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52033845

Virus show it power of NO Discrimination , no matter how powerful you are,  no matter what you wearing, no matter where did you show up , virus can get there .

also about powerful people, No sure it good news for USA or not , the enemy ,
Coronavirus kills more Iran religious leader than anything else:
https://www.straitstimes.com/world/middle-east/iran-says-coronavirus-kills-member-of-top-clerical-body

Why in Iran ? Because they are stubbornly contempt scientists and new knowledge.

So to over power virus , is the mindset like Bill Gates , and many other great mind interviews by Lex .

Hendrix,

Reports are coming out in the U.S. that Hong Kong is being hit hard. After doing an excellent job of stopping the virus the story is Hong Kong "let it's guard down," and is now getting hit hard. Folks say the cause is travel has opened up and folks are bringing the virus back in.

Is that accurate, or media spin?

Wow... Either if that's true or not, no country affected by coronavirus should let people travel from or to the country at least after a month from the last detected case.

I think I already posted it here, but just in case...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5-dI74zxPg&feature=emb_logo[/youtube]

Transferring a virus by touch is remarkably easy and pervasive. Everybody can hide from it if they want, but as soon as they come back out again, it all starts right back up. A virus isn't like a bacteria or other "living" thing - it won't reproduce on its own. It needs a host to do that work for it. No hosts? No spread. But, bring the hosts back, and boom!

What we need is immunity, either naturally formed or forced to form via vaccine (which we don't have yet). That's why some areas thought letting it run would be the way to fight, as we'd develop what's called a "herd immunity", where eventually most hosts (people) are immune. Whether or not we want to tolerate that development depends on how severe the disease is. For instance, you don't want to wait for herd immunity from something like Ebola, as it's super-lethal. You'll quite likely wipe out the herd entirely. But for a chest cold? Maybe you tolerate a little attrition. Happens every year with the flu. Sounds cold-hearted, but...

Cagey said:
Sounds cold-hearted, but...

It’s just the way existence works. The natural world cares nothing for anybodies feelings, and trying to pretend otherwise just inhibits our ability to have honest discussion about it. Doesn’t mean you have to like it, but if you can accept the reality you can respond to it much more effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back