Coronavirus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the little I know about the virus, what’s happening in Italy seems like an unavoidable situation. Italy has the 2nd oldest demographic in the world. The MEDIAN age of their reported casualties is 67. Their hospitals are probably beyond dangerous at this point.

I would just say this to forum members in the US. It will spread and get far worse if steps are not taken immediately to stop it or flatten the peak of spread.

UK and Europe are taking massive efforts now to do so, possibly later than they should have done. A wait and see what happens approach is insufficient when there are already lessons to be learnt.

On the other hand people need to stop panic buying and causing shortages to others which is needless. That is hysteria and selfishness but the actual threat from the virus is not and should not be met by complacency and soundbites.

But this is not business as usual and things will change after it. If anything it may end up causing us to rethink many aspects of life, business etc. that need improvement and have done for years so perhaps some good will come out of it in the end.

In terms of how many might die compared to something else or that it only effects the vulnerable, all of those lives are precious. It is someone's mother, brother, sister, father etc. and it could be anyone's family...

I didn't get round to watching it when you first posted it, so thanks for bringing it up again. Really good. I really enjoyed the bass playing, this is one of the songs that make me glad that I picked the bass as 'my' instrument. But hey, if you dragged out the drum kit, you could at least have taken an amp along too. Now I keep wondering if maybe you have the smallest wireless units in the world, like those invisilbe hearing aids they have...

ByteFrenzy said:
....I don't recall this from ordinary influenza outbreaks
I realize that no one on this forum was alive when this happened, but the Flu pandemic of 1918 is of particular note. We can learn much from history, this article will explain a lot about the that incident.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/journal-plague-year-180965222/

That is a really thorough article, and it's worth noting that it dates from 2017, so well before there was any concrete indication that COVID-19 was ever going to be a thing. Yes, and that was why I spoke of 'ordinary' outbreaks. The 1918 flu was nowhere near ordinary, this was the mother of all pandemics.

In the US, COVID19 hasn’t even reached the proportions that H1N1 had at this point.  I don’t remember all this over H1N1. 
H1N1 wasn’t even declare a National Emergency by the US executive branch until 6 months later when we already had 10,000 deaths.

ByteFrenzy said:
But hey, if you dragged out the drum kit, you could at least have taken an amp along too. Now I keep wondering if maybe you have the smallest wireless units in the world, like those invisilbe hearing aids they have...

Hey - I didn't even have a mic!  I still sound great though...  :headbang:

TBurst Std said:
In the US, COVID19 hasn’t even reached the proportions that H1N1 had at this point.  I don’t remember all this over H1N1. 
H1N1 wasn’t even declare a National Emergency by the US executive branch until 6 months later when we already had 10,000 deaths.

Right. Just since October of 2019 (in other words, the last 6 months) there have been between 23,000 – 59,000 deaths just from the regular ol' flu that we actually have vaccine for. So far, we've had 47 deaths in the US from Covid-19. So... which is worse? I'm almost hoping I'll catch it so I can develop a natural immunity and have whole cities/states to myself  :laughing7:

Depends whose stats you watch. Still, the numbers are nowhere near justifying the panic. It's just that a panic is seemingly useful right now. It's the old "never let a good crisis go to waste" trick :icon_biggrin:

Cagey said:
Depends whose stats you watch. Still, the numbers are nowhere near justifying the panic. It's just that a panic is seemingly useful right now. It's the old "never let a good crisis go to waste" trick :icon_biggrin:
Agreed.  I’m not trying to short change  COVID19, but where was the response to H1N1, SARS, MERS , etc?

If we applied this focus, attention and resources at cancer for 3 years, I bet cancer would be a fully treatable situation. I say this as 2 good friends are losing the battle with cancer.

Cagey said:
And, as testing ramps up in this country, the number of reported cases is certain to increase dramatically. However, the number of deaths will increase at the same rate whether the cases were previously reported or not, so the "mortality rate" will drop.

As an example, if there are 300 deaths attributed to the virus out of 1000 reported cases, that's a whopping 30% mortality rate. However, if increased testing shows the actual number of infected persons was more in the neighborhood of 10,000 persons, the mortality rate drops to 3%. As it stands now, we are way too early into this to make any kind of accurate prediction about mortality rates in the US. Keep in mind that "Pandemic" does not equal "Apocalypse".

And Kevin used one of my favorite political quotes, from Rahm Emanuel, (Democratic Mayor of Chicago, in an 11/19/08 interview with the Wall Street Journal): "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that [is] it's an opportunity to do things that you think you could not before."

Stay healthy my friends.....

BigSteve22 said:
And Kevin used one of my favorite political quotes, from Rahm Emanuel, (Democratic Mayor of Chicago, in an 11/19/08 interview with the Wall Street Journal): "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that [is] it's an opportunity to do things that you think you could not before."

Truly a fascinating case of accidental honesty; I recall it often...
[youtube] https://youtu.be/Pb-YuhFWCr4[/youtube]

Since this is a thread relating to the "Coronavirus Impact to Warmoth", we should probably limit our comments/questions to that topic, rather than the leadership reactions to the virus' spread, etc. This has the potential to get too political too fast, and we don't want that.

Cagey said:
Since this is a thread relating to the "Coronavirus Impact to Warmoth", we should probably limit our comments/questions to that topic, rather than the leadership reactions to the virus' spread, etc. This has the potential to get too political too fast, and we don't want that.
No Sir. I agree, we certainly do not. I submit to the discretion of the esteemed Moderator....

I think the best way of handling this situation is to do your best to educate yourself, and then do what I do.
I get up each morning and I put one foot in front of the other. Then sometimes I grab my desk so I don't fall over, 'cause I'm old and my dang feet hurt! :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
I think the best way of handling this situation is to do your best to educate yourself, and then do what I do.
I get up each morning and I put one foot in front of the other. Then sometimes I grab my desk so I don't fall over, 'cause I'm old and my dang feet hurt! :icon_thumright:

I stepped on a Lego.
pp,550x550.jpg

I've done that. What is it about those little things? It's amazing how much that hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back