Coronavirus Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cactus Jack

Considering Warmoth is darn near in the epicenter of the pandemic how will it impact their business, if at all? My firm is shutting down our office for the rest of the month, schools are about to close, any chance the Warmoth factory is on a similar path?

Regardless, I hope the Warmoth team, and all the folks here, stay healthy and safe. 

As far as materials and supplies, all the raw materials we need for necks and bodies are in stock and there is no concern there at all. Our only long-term concern is for supplies we get from China like sandpaper, dust masks, buffing compound, etc., but at the moment we have what we need, and don't foresee any delays in production.

We are taking steps to protect our people too, by implementing daily clean-up/disinfectant routines, and keeping inter-building and inter-department contact to a minimum, so that if someone does test positive it doesn't shut the entire company down.

Who knows where all this may lead, but we are out in front of it as much as we can be.

Now...everybody go wash your hands.

You might also want to split up intra-building and intra-department. If everybody who can do finishing is fine but everybody who can do fretting is out of action, you also have a problem. But a sufficiently high concentration of wood dust and nitro fumes should keep those nasty little viruses at bay, no?

I seriously doubt the fumes or dust have any effect on the virus, but the fact that they produce so much dust and fumes in such an operation means they have some truly serious ventilation and filtration in place and operating at all times, so they probably have cleaner air indoors than out.

Cagey said:
I seriously doubt the fumes or dust have any effect on the virus, but the fact that they produce so much dust and fumes in such an operation means they have some truly serious ventilation and filtration in place and operating at all times, so they probably have cleaner air indoors than out.

Indeed. This place really sucks.

No doubt. I would like to have a nickel for every dollar you guys spend on power to run the air handlers and HVAC.

Good to hear you guys are doing well.

I imagine product/service-based businesses with no recurring revenue stream could get hit hard. How, was 2008 for Warmoth? You obviously came out on the other side. I imagine it took a lot of innovation to not only survive but to thrive in the rebound.

In this situation people may defer a guitar purchase, but they will eventually purchase a guitar.  Places like restaurants and entertainment venues will have more trouble, because that meal or entertainment is gone.  The person going out to dinner ate, the person going to the concert did something else.  Those missed sales will not be recouped.

Wash your hands.  Use common sense.  Keep commerce going.  Don't panic.  If you run around like chicken little you'll get screwed.  Just look at the people who sold stocks from their retirement funds yesterday.  Phew.  I feel bad for them.  America is a great place, and we'll deal with this successfully.

The Aaron said:
As far as materials and supplies, all the raw materials we need for necks and bodies are in stock and there is no concern there at all. Our only long-term concern is for supplies we get from China like sandpaper, dust masks, buffing compound, etc., but at the moment we have what we need, and don't foresee any delays in production.

We are taking steps to protect our people too, by implementing daily clean-up/disinfectant routines, and keeping inter-building and inter-department contact to a minimum, so that if someone does test positive it doesn't shut the entire company down.

Who knows where all this may lead, but we are out in front of it as much as we can be.

Now...everybody go wash your hands.
89719068_636141543614179_7561062420190330880_n.png

I in HongKong , which is first city hit by coronavirus outbreak from China and still not close borders, still millions people from China come to Hongkong after outbreak .

But, with highest density of population in the world city, we still got lower case than Singapores , a country well known for public hygiene and personal discipline.

AP372982141746-583x840.jpg

And Washingtonpost and more media agree , other countries should learn from HongKong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/12/hong-kong-learned-sars-can-united-states-learn-hong-kong/

We doings well on against coronavirus because it comes from China, we are so deeply trained to defend anything bad comes from China , and doesn’t believe what the government said.

On the government side  , you want your government to learn from Taiwan , which is also  deeply trained to defend anything bad comes from China and protecting their people,  they doings well because beings refuse to jion World Health Organization , got their own guidelines  , WHO is highly influenced by China , doing a poor job on outbreak.

[youtube]DFxmiV2_OHs[/youtube]

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/what-taiwan-can-teach-world-fighting-coronavirus-n1153826?fbclid

On China production side , most of factory are back to production but slowly and not enough worker . Parts , materials and supply chain are very slow , as most people buy online now , Courier are high risk, hight demands but low pay jobs , Worsening by global shortage of face mask , people not allowed to work or go out if don’t wear face mask in many place of China.

BTW , there’s NO shortage on toilets papers , can’t believe UK and Australia / Japan people panic buying it too like in Asia . 

News of a TP "shortage" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. There are few things anyone ever wants to not have access to no matter what, and that's one of them. So, even those who don't normally keep a good supply of the stuff will suddenly want to stash 6 month's (or more) worth. It doesn't have a shelf-life to speak of, so where's the risk? People will buy as much as they have room to store - they'll certainly need it for the rest of their life so it's not like it will go to waste.

Cagey said:
News of a TP "shortage" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. There are few things anyone ever wants to not have access to no matter what, and that's one of them. So, even those who don't normally keep a good supply of the stuff will suddenly want to stash 6 month's (or more) worth. It doesn't have a shelf-life to speak of, so where's the risk? People will buy as much as they have room to store - they'll certainly need it for the rest of their life so it's not like it will go to waste.
Actually, it does go to waste....
hqdefault.jpg

I'm not at all concerned about running out of toilet paper.  Our bathroom has a shower.  I mean, worst case . . .  :p

I was surprised by the things people panic bought. Apparently Americans are picky. There wasn't a dry pinto beans to be had, but plenty of mixed beans, kidney, Navy and every other kind. Canned too (except for pintos).  There was still an off brand loaf of bread or two. Or in shapes other than "loaf". But there wasn't a bag of flour in the store. I know for a fact that people will be scouring the internet to figure out what the heck to do with flour. Not many people bake any more. The "family planning" shelf was also wiped out. I guess people are thinking they will be stuck home and not experiencing flu like symptoms. My wife likes to make fun of "man colds" but... let's just say this this one surprised me. Vitamin C was obvious, but they were also out of melatonin. (Perhaps to give the kids so they could make use of their other procurements.) Apparently we have also forgotten that bar soap works well and lasts longer than pumps. Plenty of bar soap left

My wife and I typically do our normal weekly grocery shopping, but every 6 months so we do a bulk shopping day to stock up on basically all the types of groceries one can store in the basement. Or an occasional “buy 12 of those” if an exceptional price.

We actually do it because it makes all the normal grocery shopping each week (which she does) easier and lighter, and we at least try to align with  it sales. But you never have to ask yourself if you’re out of things like laundry detergent or canned tomatoes or toilet paper or shampoo or bottled water. Pretty handy in a panic too it seems.

Anyway as far as Warmoth, I just wonder by how much new orders will drop off. I’d think spending for non-essentials just dropped like a rock- my entire industry (imports) is already upside down and the projections are really bad, some of my client companies just won’t be able to weather this and the pricing bloodbath coming when demand returns to normal.

Some video info should be useful:

form a Scientific point of view what happen :
[youtube]qf3Ih0kNvlU[/youtube]

form a technic nerd point of view what to do :
[youtube]I0Ae0mjMljs[/youtube]

form a pretty model in HongKong point of view what to do :
[youtube]7qU4Dl_qIjo[/youtube]

form fun way what government doesn’t want you know :
[youtube]Hks6Nq7g6P4[/youtube]

Would it be bad taste if I build a COVID-19 commemorative guitar out of stockpiled spaghetti and toilet paper rolls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back