Compound Radius Vs. Straight neck

There's a family of chords (and licks derived from them) that require a partial barre of two or three strings with your little finger, and they're murder on a compound radius or straight 16" neck. So, I gotta go with the straight 12 myself. It isn't a strength thing, it's geometry, and people can have very different hands.

I've seen a lot of choice "D" while I was living in West Hollywood.  Lot's of choice "D".  :sad1:

Cagey said:
Street Avenger said:
Just how far do you really have to bend a string, anyway??

Sounds like poll fodder.

Just how far do you really have to bend a string?

A. Too far
B. Twice the distance from start of bend to mid-bend
C. As far as you want
D. 2hz shy of breakpoint
E. Until monkeys fly out my butt

I guess I should add that I do play mainly rhythm.  When I play lead, I rarely do much bending.  If any I only bend a half step up anyways.  So does this mean I should get a straight 12?

Not at all!  I play both and bend the hell out 'em with equal result. I just find bending a lil' easier and more enjoyable on the 12. 

Blakeah said:
I guess I should add that I do play mainly rhythm.  When I play lead, I rarely do much bending.  If any I only bend a half step up anyways.  So does this mean I should get a straight 12?

I think I have decided on the compound radius.  I already have a tele and a country gentleman with straight necks.  I am very curious to feel a compound, and have heard rav reviews about them!  Thanks for all the input.

12 does it for me, but I have two compound radius necks too.  Also have a few vintage 7.25 inch....I like them better than the compound....its all personal taste.

Jeremiah said:
It looks like you can get a TOM with height adjustable saddles: http://www.allparts.com/Gotoh-510BN-Gold-Height-Adjustable-Bridge-p/GB-2585-002.htm

Don't know if this is a new thing as I've never seen it before, but it looks like a Good Thing, and long may it continue.

Though I guess it might suffer from the old problem of adjustment screws digging into your hands.
I just use the nut files and radius the brass saddles to whatever radius I want on a TOM...
Patrick

I can't think of a less important aspect to a guitar for me personally. The ones I have now run the gamut from straight 9.5" to 12" to a 12-16" compound and out of the 80-90 guitars I've owned over the years I can't say any of them really made a difference to me.

Some people flip out over the tiniest differences. I don't get it. I'm much more sensitive to neck width than other people though, so to each his own.

In other words, ignore everyone including me and just go to damn Guitar Center and play some guitars until you find a neck you like. I'm sure it's how most of us decide what our next build will be anyway.  :laughing7:

As much as my playing has changed recently, I'm getting anxious to try a thick neck with a 7.25" radius. The next build may be a scratch build, since Warmoth either doesn't offer features I want to try, or it'd be death by $45 upcharges. Likewise the place across town has a number of features warmoth doesn't offer, but otherwise their options are even more limited. (And their body choices remind me of the Blues Brothers. "Both kinds, country AND western")

I think it's ridiculous that Warmoth charges extra for a "straight" radius.

My Soloist has the 10"-16" compound radius, and I like it fine, but it doesn't blow me away. My next build will be a Strat with a straight 12" radius.

It does seem odd on the face of it, but that's probably why they charge extra for it. Ordering a straight radius is odd when a compound is available, and compound radii are probably 99% of their neck business. That would make it an off-line operation for them, and special handling always costs more.

They still got to sand the necks, which is easier on a straight radius.

swarfrat said:
They still got to sand the necks, which is easier on a straight radius.

Not if the machine you use to sand them is typically set up for a compound radius... though if it's cnc and not old school I can't see how it matters.

Jackson guitars makes 99% of guitars with a neck-thru construction and charges more for anything different than that (bolt-on or set-in) even if the neck-thru construction is, usually, the most expensive one; that's 'cause their build flow is optimized for the neck-thru construction and deviating from that makes for more costs for the "special" thing. I think that's the same for Warmoth's compound radius necks, their build flow is layed-out for the compound radius and making a straight one in a "one-off" the main productions. Also it could be, as an "incentive" to the upcharge, that they try to make you tend toward the compound radius to have you buy and use "their kind of thing" instead of "the kind of thing that everyone makes"... hope it makes sense and sorry for any mistake in my grammar or sintax.

bluestometal said:
Jackson guitars makes 99% of guitars with a neck-thru construction and charges more for anything different than that (bolt-on or set-in) even if the neck-thru construction is, usually, the most expensive one; that's 'cause their build flow is optimized for the neck-thru construction and deviating from that makes for more costs for the "special" thing. I think that's the same for Warmoth's compound radius necks, their build flow is layed-out for the compound radius and making a straight one in a "one-off" the main productions. Also it could be, as an "incentive" to the upcharge, that they try to make you tend toward the compound radius to have you buy and use "their kind of thing" instead of "the kind of thing that everyone makes"... hope it makes sense and sorry for any mistake in my grammar or sintax.

When did that start? It's been a WHILE since I worked for them but at the time bolts were significantly cheaper. Granted, they were still starting at $2k+ but it's a matter of degrees here.

compound radii are probably 99% of their neck business

I'd actually be interested in finding out, because an awful lot of us seem to be ordering 12" straights - I think compound might be more like 70%. And among the OEM market, an awful lot of the "re-assembler" companies would like you to think that their guitars really are scratched out of ancient wood by little forest gnomes and hand-everything - and advertising "compound radius" and "side-adjuster" is kind of a dead giveaway that them little forest gnomes are sitting at a desk making up advertising whooey in between screwing together other people's parts. I don't suppose Warmoth is going to tell li'l ol' me, not about the OEM biz at least  :-\

It would also be nice to know, in an idle- curiosity kind of way, what percentage of their business is off the showcase and what percent is their normal, special, orders? I date back to the days when there was no showcase so special was normal, but it seems to be blooping up into this huge thing. And based on the seemingly-huge percentage of ordinary Strat/ordinary whammy/standard thin w/Kluson-orifice stuff they Showcase, there are a lot of people out there not on the forum - like 80, 90%? (And ALL furtively buying imitation "Fender" decals offa Ebay, so they can pretend they got their guitar at Musician's Friend!?!)

Back