Can you ID these Fender tuners?

CrazyGrain

Anyone know what they are and/or what guitars they were on originally? Got them on a used neck and have no idea. Curious on the specs since I was going to use them on a new neck. Ratio? Hole size?

EDIT: Perhaps I should add the pics.  :doh:

Opinions vary as to source on those parts. Fender is not terribly picky. Could be Gotoh, Schaller or Ping. You probably won't find Ping parts anywhere - they're more an OEM for everybody else. Doesn't matter - you already have them. So, what you really need is a tool known as a "caliper".

Digital_Caliper_4f1586e3aaceb.jpg

You can measure inside and outside lengths and diameters as well as depths to within .001" and you'd have to work pretty hard to spend more than $20 on one. Excellent tool to have. Answers a lotta questions.

Once you know the dimensions of your hardware and/or mounting points, it gets a lot easier to select/replace it.

The vast majority of these things will flip between SAE and Metric measurements at the press of a button, too. Pretty handy. You can even measure string gauges with them.

Those are most likely Ping or Schaller. MIM necks used Ping. USA necks use Ping and Schaller. If they are staggered they will be mixed on the same neck. They should be 10mm mounting holes, at least close enough. Ratios came in 1:16 and 1:18. Just turn it and count.

The Fender version

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/tuning-machines/american-standard-series-stratocastertelecaster-tuning-machines-chrome-set-of-6/

This is the closest I can see from the pics. The Fender version may not be made by Schaller now and may be Ping.

Here's a link to the Schaller version without the Fender brand on it.

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp528979/Original-F-Series-Standard.htm?ITServ=C5d656fffX14d373930eaXY2fd5

Cagey said:
Opinions vary as to source on those parts. Fender is not terribly picky. Could be Gotoh, Schaller or Ping. You probably won't find Ping parts anywhere - they're more an OEM for everybody else. Doesn't matter - you already have them. So, what you really need is a tool known as a "caliper".

Digital_Caliper_4f1586e3aaceb.jpg

You can measure inside and outside lengths and diameters as well as depths to within .001" and you'd have to work pretty hard to spend more than $20 on one. Excellent tool to have. Answers a lotta questions.

Once you know the dimensions of your hardware and/or mounting points, it gets a lot easier to select/replace it.

The vast majority of these things will flip between SAE and Metric measurements at the press of a button, too. Pretty handy. You can even measure string gauges with them.

Yeah, could use a set of calipers for sure.

pabloman said:
Those are most likely Ping or Schaller. MIM necks used Ping. USA necks use Ping and Schaller. If they are staggered they will be mixed on the same neck. They should be 10mm mounting holes, at least close enough. Ratios came in 1:16 and 1:18. Just turn it and count.

stratamania said:
The Fender version

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-bass-parts/tuning-machines/american-standard-series-stratocastertelecaster-tuning-machines-chrome-set-of-6/

This is the closest I can see from the pics. The Fender version may not be made by Schaller now and may be Ping.

Here's a link to the Schaller version without the Fender brand on it.

http://guitar-parts.biz/hp528979/Original-F-Series-Standard.htm?ITServ=C5d656fffX14d373930eaXY2fd5

Thanks guys. Those look identical to mine. Nice that the Schallers come in black. Might have to hunt some of those down.

So what Warmoth bore option do I want if I go with those Schallers (or the ones I already have, i guess they are the same). Looking at the chart on the Schaller site is making my head spin.

Ah, that's right, Pablo said 10mm. So either the Gotoh/Grover or the Planet Waves? Is there a pin for the tuners I have to drill for? Sorry for the questions...trying not to take it apart again.  :icon_biggrin:

You have to take it apart again. It's not just part of the process, it's a way of life. This is the Unofficial Warmoth forum. Building/repairing/improving guitars is our raison d'être. It's how you become one of us...

090523-one-of-us.jpg

Oh, and bring your credit card  :laughing7:

Back