Favorite tuners for 25/64" (Schaller/Modern Fender) pegholes?

akabuck

I'm waiting on a tele neck from warmoth for my first build. I am looking for recommendations for tuners that will fit warmoth's 25/64" pegholes, and what to consider when buying tuners.

Curious to know if their are specific sets that fit this size, that folks are particularly fond of.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Most of my guitars have Fender "F Logo" locking tuners with staggered height posts (Made by Ping). I think they are pretty awesome and they have 18:1 ratio which I prefer. The downside is they are difficult to install because you have to cut location holes, which can be very hard to get right.

My second choice is the Gotoh SG381-MGT locking tuners with staggered height posts. These are a tiny bit lighter than the Fender ones, and MUCH easier to install so I recommend them for this reason. The downside is the gear ratio is 16:1 and also the installation screws are visible. Be careful if you order them because there are many variations and not all of them have the staggered height posts.

Attachments

• sg381mgt-010_1_2.jpg
    sg381mgt-010_1_2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
warmoth's 24/65"

Nothing will fit that typo.

I think you mean 25/64” so you may want to edit the thread title.

This is the closest size Warmoth do to 10mm as 25/64" is around 9.92mm. Most modern 10mm type tuners such as those from Fender, Hipshot, Schaller etc work in those holes. You may have to use some sandpaper around a pencil unless you have a reamer to ease the fit, for example. This also ensures a good fit.

Other things to consider are whether to use locking or non locking tuners.

My preference is for locking and staggered posts to eliminate the need for a string tree (unless I am doing a vintage type build).

So staggered locking tuners, such as those from Hipshot, Fender or Schaller work well.

Check out also the links in my signature, where you can find other useful info.

Nothing will fit that typo.

I think you mean 25/64” so you may want to edit the thread title.

This is the closest size Warmoth do to 10mm as 25/64" is around 9.92mm. Most modern 10mm type tuners such as those from Fender, Hipshot, Schaller etc work in those holes. You may have to use some sandpaper around a pencil unless you have a reamer to ease the fit, for example. This also ensures a good fit.

Other things to consider are whether to use locking or non locking tuners.

My preference is for locking and staggered posts to eliminate the need for a string tree (unless I am doing a vintage type build).

So staggered locking tuners, such as those from Hipshot, Fender or Schaller work well.

Check out also the links in my signature, where you can find other useful info.
Thanks for the heads up on the typo🤦

My...ahem... "go to" is Gotoh. So many different models, specs, and such to choose from and also pretty widely available. I pick depending on my application and particular desire (and budget). For reference's sake, 25/64" is roughly equivalent to 10mm, so it can be easier to search for compatible tuners if you look for 10mm posts.

I have locking, non-locking, 6 inline, 3x3, 4x2, and sets of varying ratios.

I ordered the hipshot, thought vintage style meant closed back. Now I got to send them back to stewmac and get the open back, I like the ump however I have had tuners go sideways due to not having the nut tight enough. ++ ON HIPSHOT

Thanks y'all . I like the look and price of these Gotoh 510s. The 18:1 gear ratio seems like an added plus too. I think I may go this route. The Hipshots are an option too, but I'm not sure I want to go the locking route

If you ever buy the Fender (Ping) locking tuners, always purchase or build a jig to drill the peg holes. Normally I just buy Schaller locking tuners which are almost twice the price, but I picked up the Fender ones and ended up having to fill the initial holes and redrill them with a jig to get them exactly right.

They are not install friendly for your average home DIY guitarist. Though, you can get a real metal jig for around $40US. It will last for ever and you can more easily use the cheaper, yet still good quality Fender (Ping) locking tuners.

Thanks y'all . I like the look and price of these Gotoh 510s. The 18:1 gear ratio seems like an added plus too. I think I may go this route. The Hipshots are an option too, but I'm not sure I want to go the locking route
I put those on a friend's guitar. He didn't mind them (he left all specific design decisions up to me), but I thought they weren't the best choice I made for pure aesthetic reasons. The buttons are a lot smaller than I anticipated and it kinda' threw the visual balance out of whack. But, of course, personal preference.

I think I'd have been more satisfied if I used them in a 6-inline config instead of 3x3. The extra spacing between the tuners really highlighted how small the buttons are! :)

Gotoh tuners first.

Hipshot open gear next.

Both of these choices for the sheer amount of choices they offer.

Planets waves lockers with the auto cut feature are also really good, and the cutter is really useful

Hipshot, Gotoh, Kluson all good ... I haven't tried the Graphtech RATIO machines, but they are next on my list to check out

They do look cool, but they will not fit onto a Warmoth or standard Fender headstock. I don't mean here the hole dimension, but the distance between the centres of the holes is a greater distance for an 70s F style tuner of this type and only fit CBS/Fender era specs. A Warmoth CBS headstock also does not work, as that uses the same hole to hole dimensions of vintage Fender spacing.

There is not enough space between the tuner holes for the angled parts of the tuners to fit together.

The Kluson Revolution F-Mount 19:1 ratio locking tuning machine. These state of the art, lightweight, diecast tuning machines are designed to directly retrofit the stamped "F" tuning machines Fender uses on reissue models from the CBS/Fender era. Please note these are not a direct replacement for vintage Fender tuners.
ref: https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...ine-locking-revolution-series-f-mount-tuners/

To save me writing more see the related thread where this was discussed at length.

I've used 18:1 gear ratio and found I don't like it. Too much turning to get the desired result.

But the absolute worst for me are the Graph Tech ones with different ratios for each string.

I guess the muscle memory I've developed from using "lesser" tuning machines for so many years is just too engrained at this point.

I'm a fan of the Wilkinson passive locking tuners. They usually get ignored or dissed as cheap but honestly - I trust cross drilled holes more than I do teeny tiny watch screw sized threads in cheap parts (cheap parts includes fancier tuners here).

Back