Favorite tuners for 25/64" (Schaller/Modern Fender) pegholes?

Once the locking Tuners are dialed in though it's, for me, easier. Plus I use a tuning pedal.

Purchasing tuners has become prohibitive, so now I have taken to using wood dowels with a slot cut in them as tuners. When in tune I tap them down and they work well for me.

Purchasing tuners has become prohibitive, so now I have taken to using wood dowels with a slot cut in them as tuners. When in tune I tap them down and they work well for me.
I would've thought that you just shouted at them into submission. :)

I've used 18:1 gear ratio and found I don't like it. Too much turning to get the desired result.

But the absolute worst for me are the Graph Tech ones with different ratios for each string.

I guess the muscle memory I've developed from using "lesser" tuning machines for so many years is just too engrained at this point.
Yeah, those ratio tuners by Graph Tech seem like overkill.

Do you find that the 18:1 gear ratio provides any noticable benefit when compared to the lower gear ratio (like 16:1), or is it marginal at best?

Yeah, those ratio tuners by Graph Tech seem like overkill.

Do you find that the 18:1 gear ratio provides any noticable benefit when compared to the lower gear ratio (like 16:1), or is it marginal at best?

On paper it does, obviously. IRL I don't find any practical benefit. Just more turning for the same results.

YMMV.

I’m surprised nobody has said Schallers for a Schaller hole. I just got my first set and had previously been a pretty big stick in the mud… being a Tele guy Kluson safety tuners were all the locking I thought I needed. The Schallers are changing my view, they certainly make stringing the guitar a breeze.

I’m surprised nobody has said Schallers for a Schaller hole. I just got my first set and had previously been a pretty big stick in the mud… being a Tele guy Kluson safety tuners were all the locking I thought I needed. The Schallers are changing my view, they certainly make stringing the guitar a breeze.

I did in post #3 of the thread.

I have one set of Schallers from Fender. Compared to the Fender tuners made by Ping I couldn’t notice any difference in quality. They seem to be almost identical design.

I use the 18:1 Klusons on my builds. Yes, there are 20% more twists to wind, but beyond that, but to just stay in tune it's no more work. Plus, the Saf-T-Posts mean only ~2-3 windings per tuner anyway.

Back