8-Ball Strat Updates

MikeW

Just finished putting the finishing touches on the updates for the 8-Ball and thought I'd post them. The 8-Ball has been around the stable for a few years now but has never been a #1. I've used it with different necks, as a testing ground for electronics ideas I was messing with, and even just as a banger for carrying around when I needed a guitar to fiddle with on trips.

But, I got involved with a new project lately and decided I wanted something specific for it. We're doing more Prog and 60's/70's classic rock with this one, and the 8-Ball seemed to fit the timbre of both the band and the guys in it.

That's a Little 59er in the neck, a Quarter Pounder, and a Little Screamin Demon in the bridge. This setup had a 5-way switch with coil tapping in positions 2 and 4.
0306191354.jpg

Roasted Maple/Roasted Maple, Wizard profile, SS6105, LSR nut, Schaller tuners and a Wilkinson bridge.
0306191354a.jpg

So, I pulled the old pickups and dropped a 59-JB set in with a 3-way blade switch to keep it simple. I debated between zebra and reverse zebra for the tops of the pickups but ultimately liked the reverse zebra just a bit more than regular zebra.
0306192359.jpg

Voila!
0307190741a.jpg

Thanks man! Been running it through it's paces tonight to get it ready for our gig tomorrow. It sounds killer and plays so nicely. The more I play on Roasted Maple, the more I like it.

Looks really nice. You have just enough white on it to give the right accent to the 8-ball.

I like the added cream accents from the zebra coils and knob and switch tip.  Really highlights the 8-ball-ness of the whole axe. 

And I keep coming back to the visual of the white dots on the fingerboard.  Seems the default is black dots on roasted maple, but the white really pops.  I like it.

Sorry I couldn't get it together to come out and hear you play last night, Mike, but keep me posted on when you gig.

Yr. Humble Svt., &c.,

Bagman

Street Avenger said:
That's a nice guitar.
Not too keen on the knob and switch placement, but to each their own.

That's a result of a couple things. First, I'm a huge fan of the Charvels with the simplicity of the single knob and switch. I don't find myself ever changing tone at the guitar so have pretty much eliminated them from the stuff I play live. Second, I've got big hands and the volume knob placement on a typical Strat layout places it right under my fingers where I'm forever turning myself down. Moving it down and away a bit solves that problem nicely.

Bagman67 said:
I like the added cream accents from the zebra coils and knob and switch tip.  Really highlights the 8-ball-ness of the whole axe. 

And I keep coming back to the visual of the white dots on the fingerboard.  Seems the default is black dots on roasted maple, but the white really pops.  I like it.

Sorry I couldn't get it together to come out and hear you play last night, Mike, but keep me posted on when you gig.

Yr. Humble Svt., &c.,

Bagman

Thanks! I really dig it too. everyone that sees it has commented on the zebra pickups matching the logo. It's quite striking IMHO.

Funny you say that about the white dots too. I originally had thought that the black would go better but at the last minute changed my mind to the Mother of Pearl dots. I wish now that I'd followed that thought all the way through and done the marker dots on the top in white as well. I find that on a dark stage, the Roasted Maple is just dark enough that the black markers get a bit lost. Ah well, lesson learned for next time.

Bottomfeeders are actually taking the rest of March and first week of April off since a couple band members are travelling for work. We should be back at it mid-late-March-ish. I'll post you a note here when I find out what the dates/times/places will be.

The new projects is getting rolling too. That's the one that I rebuilt the 8-Ball for, so maybe that'll have a gig or two during the summer. [crossed fingers...]

MikeW said:
Street Avenger said:
That's a nice guitar.

That's a result of a couple things. First, I'm a huge fan of the Charvels with the simplicity of the single knob and switch. I don't find myself ever changing tone at the guitar so have pretty much eliminated them from the stuff I play live. Second, I've got big hands and the volume knob placement on a typical Strat layout places it right under my fingers where I'm forever turning myself down. Moving it down and away a bit solves that problem nicely.
Yeah, I don't run tone controls either, except my current Tele build will have one. I have smaller hands and go for a more traditional knob & switch placement, although I move the knob a half-inch down from the usual Strat location. The pic here in my profile is an older one. The knob has been moved since then.

MikeW said:
Street Avenger said:
That's a nice guitar.

I didn't even notice at first - that would be my ideal config.

Back