My first post (Warmoth Strat build)

kennslp

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for some time now. Thanks for all the valuable info and awesome pics gathered here! Anyway, over recent times I've done a few projects using Warmoth parts, but this was the first one that started out as a specific, dedicated project using a Warmoth neck and body.
A very quick back-story: In Jan 2023 I lost my sister unexpectedly. We were close, and shared a love of music (she being a singer and pianist). I wanted to put together something in her memory: This is the result. Pics first:
20230704_110350.jpeg20230703_153238.jpeg20230704_110316.jpeg20230704_110246.jpeg

Here are the details:
  • Warmoth roasted flame maple neck, rosewood board. 12-16 compound radius; standard thin profile; 43 mm nut width; stainless steel 6100 frets ( a first for me).
  • Warmoth alder strat body in Sonic Blue
  • Hipshot locking tuners
  • Charvel brass vtrem
  • 10 position Free-Way switch
  • Pickups:
    • Suhr Aldrich bridge
    • Suhr v63+ middle
    • Suhr Aldrich neck
I've never had a guitar w/ a HSH config, so this was a fun experiment in that regard. My main goal was to have switching such that I could have the middle single alone or both hums w/o the middle. The Free-way switch allows for that easily, plus various combos of the middle combined an individual coil from either hum (or the full humbucker). One combo I don't have is all pickups on. That could be interesting, perhaps I'll try that someday.

Anyway, just wanted to share. I'll add this pic of some other recents build that also feature Warmoth parts to varying degrees:

20230704_165815.jpeg

-K

PS: See If you can guess the guitarist who's signature guitar was a model for this build. He's become a favorite of mine recently...

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for some time now. Thanks for all the valuable info and awesome pics gathered here! Anyway, over recent times I've done a few projects using Warmoth parts, but this was the first one that started out as a specific, dedicated project using a Warmoth neck and body.
A very quick back-story: In Jan 2023 I lost my sister unexpectedly. We were close, and shared a love of music (she being a singer and pianist). I wanted to put together something in her memory: This is the result. Pics first:
View attachment 61319View attachment 61320View attachment 61321View attachment 61322

Here are the details:
  • Warmoth roasted flame maple neck, rosewood board. 12-16 compound radius; standard thin profile; 43 mm nut width; stainless steel 6100 frets ( a first for me).
  • Warmoth alder strat body in Sonic Blue
  • Hipshot locking tuners
  • Charvel brass vtrem
  • 10 position Free-Way switch
  • Pickups:
    • Suhr Aldrich bridge
    • Suhr v63+ middle
    • Suhr Aldrich neck
I've never had a guitar w/ a HSH config, so this was a fun experiment in that regard. My main goal was to have switching such that I could have the middle single alone or both hums w/o the middle. The Free-way switch allows for that easily, plus various combos of the middle combined an individual coil from either hum (or the full humbucker). One combo I don't have is all pickups on. That could be interesting, perhaps I'll try that someday.

Anyway, just wanted to share. I'll add this pic of some other recents build that also feature Warmoth parts to varying degrees:

View attachment 61323

-K

PS: See If you can guess the guitarist who's signature guitar was a model for this build. He's become a favorite of mine recently...
KWS?

Very nice looking guitar, a great tribute, and it seems that you have a few builds with a similar body, but with ”variations of the theme”. When it comes to the guitarist I had to google, and the first hit was Ian Thonley.

Very nice looking guitar, a great tribute, and it seems that you have a few builds with a similar body, but with ”variations of the theme”. When it comes to the guitarist I had to google, and the first hit was Ian Thonley.
Ding Ding! Yup, Ian Thornley! I've become a huge Big Wreck fan over the last few years, and his playing is just stellar. I basically stole the pickup config from one of his signature Suhrs. And yet I still don't sound like him, lol!

Yes, my builds so far have been all front loaded Strats, with different electronics for different tones. The brown one has Lindy Fralin Steel Poll pickups (somewhat P90 ish), while the HS has a Duncan Custom/59 hybrid & Dimarzio Cruiser w/ a 'pull' pot for the tone to split the bridge.

I think that the next build will be a rear loaded, Floyded 2-hum Strat, or perhaps a Soloist body. We shall see!

-K

Last edited:
Ding Ding! Yup, Ian Thornley! I've become a huge Big Wreck fan over the last few years, and his playing is just stellar. I basically stole the pickup config from one of his signature Suhrs. And yet I still don't sound like him, lol!

Yes, my builds so far have been all front loaded Strats, with different electronics for different tones. The brown one has Lindy Fralin Steel Poll pickups (somewhat P90 ish), while the HS has a Duncan Custom/59 hybrid & Dimarzio Cruiser w/ a 'pull' pot for the tone to split the bridge.

I think that the next build will be a rear loaded, Floyded 2-hum Strat, or perhaps a Soloist body. We shall see!

-K
I checked out some videos from a Suhr concert a few years ago, and Thornley definitely sounds good - including his voice, which reminds me of Chris Cornell. And yes, I think it is wrong that the guitars we make or buy don’t make us sounds as our heroes :)

Back