7/8 chambered strat balance

meki06

Hi everyone,
has any of you ever built a 7/8 s-style chambered guitar here ? I'm considering to go for an alder 7/8 body and alder 7/8 warmoth neck but I'm a little bit worried about the final balance between body and neck.. I really can't stand when necks are diving once I stand up (like most of us I guess)

Any experience about it ?

Thanks !

Let me ask . .. do you have a problem with neck dive on a standard size body and neck? Sounds like you do ... so what kind of guitar do you have now? Are looking at t or s style? Have you considered a velocity body with a short scale neck? And why do you want a 7/8 body?

Never tried a tele 7/8 body but with a strat never had a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer Rick.
In fact I do own a warmoth 7/8 strat which I really like in terms of comfort. Absolutely no neck dive trouble.
I m wishing for another alternative in terms of pickups configuration and would like to go for another similar model.
However I always felt like my actual 7/8 was a little bit heavy and so I d like to go for a chambered body. Since I already encountered some neck dive trouble on a hollow body guitar I m always wary about it. Such a difficult problem to solve once the guitar is in your hands !

Did you mean to write "alder 7/8 warmoth neck" ?

A top routed alder strat body is normally not considered heavy. With a swimming pool route and tremolo route, I'd call it a hollow body guitar already. Is there some reason your current 7/8 strat has a "little bit" of a weight problem?

I've found neck dive to occur more for geometry rather than weight. Strats are not as prone to neck dive as a tele.

Did you mean to write "alder 7/8 warmoth neck" ?

A top routed alder strat body is normally not considered heavy. With a swimming pool route and tremolo route, I'd call it a hollow body guitar already. Is there some reason your current 7/8 strat has a "little bit" of a weight problem?
"Did you mean to write "alder 7/8 warmoth neck" ?" > I think I did.. anything wrong with my formulation ? I m french, sorry for any unclear wording.

I dont think there s a particular reason for it to be a little heavy. It s got a universal route, a set of fender noiseless pickups, a standard fender bridge.. so nothing that could justify the guitar to weigh more than my fender clapton, though it s the case ! That s the moment when the temptation for a chambered body came in.

I've found neck dive to occur more for geometry rather than weight. Strats are not as prone to neck dive as a tele.

That's an interesting point !

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

There isn't any "alder 7/8 warmoth neck". I think roasted maple would be the lightest option. The 7/8 neck is a little heavy because of the double truss rod.

oh yes you're absolutely right, it s a maple neck ! Sorry for the mix-up.
Just so I know, is roasted maple neck supposed to be lighter than maple neck ?

Back