720 Mod

Valerius

Hey I'm really excited about this, I had heard a few people complain about it and the thought of the fretboard sticking up like that is pretty scary to me.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/GuitarNeckPocket.aspx#720MOD

But what exactly does "Only bodies built from scratch" mean?  And why won't it work with binding?

What are the real world advantages to this modification?  Improved tone? Improved playability? Increased sustain? Improved ascetics?  I’m curious about this. 

Some people like to get the neck and/or strings as close to the body as they can; picking ergonomics, I guess... And for a rear route, I guess it would look nicer too.

Ahh...I completely understand now about my Squier body.
When i put my Warmoth neck on my Squier VMJ fretless, i had to remove the part of the pickguard underneath the fingerboard extension (The bass originally did not have a pickguard) because the pickguard was getting sandwiched in between the body and fingerboard extension.
I always figured that the pocket was down lower because the body was a tad thinner than a regular Jazz bass, but i guess that they worked in this "720 mod" even though the original neck was only a 20 fret.

I think that "This option is not available on Showcase bodies" would be a better way to word it than "only bodies built from scratch"...

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Would it not be available on a top-routed body that was going to use a vintage construction neck; 21 frets no fretboard overhang?

I think since the main reason for this mod is to eleminate the gap between the body and overhang that is there to accomodate the pickguard on front routed guitars. It really wouldn't be necesssary on a neck that didn't have an overhang. Just my thoughts

ocguy106 said:
I think since the main reason for this mod is to eleminate the gap between the body and overhang that is there to accomodate the pickguard on front routed guitars. It really wouldn't be necesssary on a neck that didn't have an overhang. Just my thoughts

True, but aesthetically, it allows strings to be closer to the body and the pickups to be lower.

and the strings being closer to the body would be more comfortable for someone used to playing a strat with a pickguard.

I think that "This option is not available on Showcase bodies" would be a better way to word it than "only bodies built from scratch"...

Really? Never heard that term before? Just curious.

I think Warmoth will avoid doing the 720 mod on front routed bodies for a pretty obvious reason... Sooner or later someone is going to put both a pickguard AND a neck with fretboard overhang on it, completely ruin the neck in the process, and start some internet whining about how lousy Warmoth bodies are. You could laser engrave a warning about that in the neck pocket and it will STILL happen.

Gregg said:

Really? Never heard that term before? Just curious.

it's not that the term isn't familar - it's not precise, so it can be confusing. Aren't all bodies technically made from "scratch" ? If you specify that it's not going to apply to showcase bodies, it's easier to understand.

Doing this mod on a body that requires use of a pickguard that normally occupies that gap would be disastrous to the neck's fingerboard.

yeah this could happen:

fretboard3.jpg

:laughing3:

I still don't understand why binding is not available, does the binding process increase the height of the fingerboard or something? What difference is there in a bound neck in terms of dimensions?

apollo said:
I still don't understand why binding is not available, does the binding process increase the height of the fingerboard or something? What difference is there in a bound neck in terms of dimensions?

Binding a neck has absolutely nothing to do with the 720 mod, does it?
The 720 mod is on the body, not the neck.

Either way, whatever it is, its going to look better without binding anyways :blob7:

Back