72 Tele Deluxe build - suggestions please!

veets987

So i recently decided i am going to build/assemble a warmoth 72 Tele Deluxe and just wanted some suggestions.  I pretty much want it to be pretty loyal to the original 72s.  I prefer a vintaged/yellowish maple neck.  I like some gloss on the neck but not so much that it is sticky feeling.  I attached a pic of what im going for.  I will not be doing any painting of finishing myself so i was hoping i can just order all of the parts from warmoth already painted and finished and essentialy my end would be more assembly/wiring/setup and such.  I will be putting Lollar Regal pickups in it. 

Im looking for suggestions on what necks/finishes and parts would be good choices...

Here is what i have figured so far.  Feel free to let me know if there would be a better option...

Model: Tele Deluxe
Scale: 25-1/2 in.
Orientation: Right Handed
Wood: Core: Alder
Control Cavity: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Standard Pickup Routing
Control Routing: None
Bridge Type: Hardtail
Bridge Rout: Fender® American Standard Flat Mount
Jack Rout: 7/8" (22.23mm)
Side Jack Hole
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: Tummy Cut
Top Finish: Vintage White
Back Finish: Vintage White

Attachments

• fender-factory-special-run-series-72-telecaster-deluxe-olympic-white-437034.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 483
I just did this exact same thing.  Mine isn't super loyal, but it makes me happy seeing it on the stand. =)

I chose a clear satin neck.  The gloss is just too sticky, and I wasn't sure how the vintage tint would look in satin.  I have used the vintage tint on a gloss neck in the past, and didn't like it.  I've stuck with clear satin since then.  It doesn't look old, but I just tell myself it looks just like a 72 would have looked when it was new. =)

I put fender vintage noiseless pickups in mine, and am quite happy with it. 

I'll try to get some pictures taken and put them up here.

Canary would be the wood that would not require finish that would look like what you want.  It has the same general sonic characteristics, the right look, and the finish-style is what you are asking for.  I understand that you are staying close to the original, but it is an upgrade considering how you described you neck preferences.  Also the price is roughly equivalent considering it doesn't require a finish.
Patrick

Thank you guys for you replies.  I love the suggestions!  Anyone familiar with the pickup routing that i need to fit the Lollar Regals in the body?  They are the same size as the fender wide range pickups.  I know i have the option to pick the fender humbucker or the gibson humbucker routing.  Im assuming that the fender humbucker would be the wide range size for the tele deluxe body?

Just go for the dual WRHB route.  I believe that the Lollars have the same footprint as the Fenders.  If you want to put a regular humbucker in, the route will always work, but you'd need a different pickguard.  It doesn't limit you to get the WRHB route, where the other routes could.
Patrick

The other nice part about the double WRHB route is that p90s will *barely* fit in those routes as well, should you ever decide to go that way.

-Mark

Back