3x3 non-angled headstock designs

Orpheo

Hi guys,

I was wondering about the following:

the new EvH wolfgang has a 3x3 headstock design, but non-angled, no string trees.
musicman headstocks are a 2x4 headstock design, non angled, no string trees.
the brian moore headstocks are 2x4, non angled, no string trees.

That made me wonder: what if one would buy a neck with a non-angled headstock, like a strat, and cut it up to be a 3x3, but with the ferthest tuner within the distance of the stringlength of the g-string between the nut and the corresponding tuners, would one still have the need for string trees or a retainer bar?

I, for one, don't think so, but I'd like to have the input of others.

I have a Warmoth Pro strat neck, so no angled headstock and a long ride to the high E. I don't use string trees, and don't miss or need them at all.

String trees are designed to allow for sloppy nut work on production guitars. If you've got a well-made nut or an LSR, you don't need them.

Orpheo, do either of the 3+3 or 2+4 headstocks you mentioned also have staggered post heights on the tuners?

I'm not a guitarist, but one thing I've noticed is that most 3+3 headstocks have the tuners spaced farther apart than most all-in-line headstocks (e.g. Strat).  This effectively puts the further tuners (for D and G strings) at about the same length from the nut as a Strat's B string.  So you would probably still need a string tree or retainer bar for these two strings on a non-angled headstock.

Otherwise, if you wanted to keep the tight spacing, you would need to make sure that your 3+3 tuner set had smaller knobs, and could be mounted with tighter spacing.

I've thought about getting a strat neck and lopping off the top half of the headstock and routing the remaining holes on the other side.

I've been experimenting with the string trees on my Strat headstock for a while.  I find that they matter.  The notes are clearer & sustain is longer with the trees.  Unfortunately they also impact the tuning stability.  I found the best compromise for my guitar are the GraphTech teflon impregnated Trees (TUSQ XL I think they call them).  I use the long/short pair to match the original steel butterfly trees.  I also tried roller trees, the 50s style big disc trees & some home made versions.  But the GraphTech work best for me.

I also noticed that the Planet Waves locking tuners have staggered string heights (3 different heights).  I haven't tried these because I don't like the design.  But I would like to find a set of staggered height tuners in a more conventional design in order to eliminate the Trees.  I considered a Warmoth Pro Angled Strat neck because I think the tone & sustain would be better without the tuning issues but I don't like the Warmoth neck to peghead joint & I don't think this combination will fit in an off-the shelf strat case.  So I'm sticking with the GraphTech Trees for now.

Good Luck

The Schaller and Sperzel locking tuner designs have staggered post heights. As I've mentioned before, I've got a Warmoth Pro neck on my latest Strat, and I've used Carvin necks in the past, both of which have straight headstocks. The staggered locking tuners and a well-done nut preclude the need for string trees completely. I have no issue with tuning, sustain, string pops, etc. and I do a lot of bending and vibrato.

AutoBat said:
not all schaller locking tuners are staggered :\

Perhaps for future reference, you could look up all the Schaller locking tuners that aren't staggered and list them for us. For my part, from now on I'll say "most Schaller locking tuners are staggered." <grin>

i swear it was metalman22105 that did this, but might have been somebody else since i went through his old posts and can't find anything about it... but somebody here had a strat headstock, cut off the top two tuner holes, and drilled them on the other side like a music man. it was really cool, and looked great. cant find it at all though!

JaySwear said:
i swear it was metalman22105 that did this, but might have been somebody else since i went through his old posts and can't find anything about it... but somebody here had a strat headstock, cut off the top two tuner holes, and drilled them on the other side like a music man. it was really cool, and looked great. cant find it at all though!
There were mockups I remember. I made one.

stratpeavey.jpg

I saw that one too, but I can't find the thread either. His looked pretty awesome though.

Cagey said:
AutoBat said:
not all schaller locking tuners are staggered :\

Perhaps for future reference, you could look up all the Schaller locking tuners that aren't staggered and list them for us. For my part, from now on I'll say "most Schaller locking tuners are staggered." <grin>
The ones I got from W a couple months ago weren't staggered.

Are you sure? Maybe your strings are popping out of your nuts and you don't know it. Or, perhaps you've lost a great deal of tone, or sustain or something <grin>

Got a model number or series name or something?

so I checked out the 3x3 Schaller locking tuners I got from Stew Mac a few months ago and they are not staggered.

Schaller Locking Machine Heads, M6 I, PIN,  3/3 Chrome, 2900P

Ahh, I forgot about 3x3 installations. I don't imagine they'd stagger those.

Schaller M6 Mini Locking tuners (http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Mini-Locking-Tuner-Left-Chrome-P119C726.aspx)
The strings don't pop out of the nut, tone is spot on, sustain is great, and I'm very happy with them.
I double checked with a ruler, and all the tuners are the same height.

If I had to buy tuners again, I'd get another set of 'em.

Anyways, enough derailment.  How about some other 3x3 or 4x2 non-angled ideas?

Necroposting but it came up while I was searching for something on the topic.

The headstock in this thread doesn't keep the strings straight like the strat headstock does. It can be done, but probably not without looking dorky.

Like this:

Attachments

• strat-4+2.jpg
    strat-4+2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 619
Back