Zebra/Mahog Strat

fdesalvo

I'm stoked.  A few weeks ago I decided to start a new strat project.  It's going to be set up like this:

Zebrawood over Mahogany, Tobacco Burst over front and back
TonePros TOM/Stop
HxH (SD Jazz neck + Rio Grande BBQ bridge- best bridge 'bucker out there)
3 way toggle one volume/tone (push-pull coil taps)

The clean and distorted tones on my SG-GT are spectacular only because I am using the best HxH combo I've come across for my needs- a SD Jazz in the neck and a Rio Grande BBQ in the bridge.  In the #2 position of my SG, the clean tone is absolutely unbelievable; the two 'buckers play really nice together.

What I don't like is the neck heavy nature of this beast, though it's not that bad on the GT series.  I also don't like the angle of the strings from the nut to the tuners.  The Warmoth Strat I built is very stable on the tuning end- Grover locking tuners, GraphTech nut, and fixed bridge.  I love the straight string path to the tuners on the Warmoth designed headstock.  Even with the Graphtech nut and locking tuners, my SG is unstable due to the string path and probably because of the neck design.  I also don't like where the voloume controls are located..I'm hoping this project will give me what I love about the SG along with the comfort and balance of the strat body.

I need to decide what to do about the neck, because I love the neck profile on my SG and I haven't found a profile on the website that looks similar.  I ordered the Wizard for my strat with a 12" straight radius and 6130 frets and the profile doesn't cut it while I am playing standing!  I need more of a u-shape or something with more wood on the shoulders.  Seems like Warmoth's offerings are more on the c-shaped end, with the Wolfgang being closest to what I am after.  Wish they offered it in the 24.75" conversion size! The '59 Roundback looks like a hand-cramper. Oh, well, I have zero issues with the ol' 25.5".  We shall see.  I'm just after something close to the 60's slim taper profile.

She's on her way.  Should be here Monday.  WIll post pics up then. A bit nervous now that I've been hearing that Warmtoh finishes chip and flake easily. :icon_scratch:

fdesalvo said:
She's on her way.  Should be here Monday.  WIll post pics up then. A bit nervous now that I've been hearing that Warmtoh finishes chip and flake easily. :icon_scratch:

So...where's the pics?  :icon_scratch:

Back