what's for dinner at your place

Shredded beef burritto with beans and potatoes smothered in green chile with fideo on the side and a Pepsi.

Hooray for Pepsi!

Last night it was pork loin (medium-rare) with a maple mustard sage sauce (which turns out black and can therefore be a little disquieting), brown rice and zucchini sauted with garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar. 

E.G. Jones said:
Hooray for Pepsi!

Last night it was pork loin (medium-rare) with a maple mustard sage sauce (which turns out black and can therefore be a little disquieting), brown rice and zucchini sauted with garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  

I'm a Pepsi fan, too. To me, Coke tastes like one of the ingredients is dirt. Seriously. Not enjoyable. That said, I rarely drink either. If I can't have beer, I'll take water. Either one is better for you.

I'm also a big fan of medium-rare pork. Many people aren't fans of pork at all, because most people overcook it to death. My mother certainly did, who learned it from her mother, and never had it any different anywhere else. Until only very recently, most people could turn a pork chop of any quality into something that resembled a building material more than food.

Of course, you almost certainly already know this, but for those who don't, the practice of ruining pork goes back about ~100 years to when they found out that tapeworms (the trichinosis parasite) could frequently be traced back to under-cooked pork. At the time, the FDA or the USDA or some expensive and clueless government regulatory agency then decided pork had to be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees F for at least five minutes. Naturally, most cooks/chefs/mothers overcompensated, and took it to just below burnt. Not that limiting it to the recommendation would produce anything enjoyable; it wouldn't. But, that was the minimum standard for those who want the "best results" without exposing the family to a life-threatening parasite.

In more recent times, the USDA prudently and sensibly relaxed their recommendations to produce the table you can find at the link above, but most people aren't aware of it so they still cook the hell out of pork, much to the chagrin of those who have to eat it. Put enough salt and horseradish on it, and you'll salivate enough to at least swallow what you've spent 5 minutes chewing on, but that's hardly necessary if the meat is cooked properly. Trichinae are fairly easy to kill. That is, take a roast to 135 degrees internally for about 3 or 4 minutes, then pull it out after that. Let it stand covered for 10 minutes, and you'll have the best pork roast you've ever eaten. It will be a bit pink inside, but it'll be tender and juicy like you've never had pork before. Don't rely on time to cook pork roasts; use a meat thermometer.

You can actually pull the meat earlier, as there's almost no such thing as trichinosis in pork anymore, at least in the US. But, try convincing guests that it's safe. It's a battle. In reality, though, trichonisis is almost like polio or rabies - nearly non-existent in developed countries.

Well said Cagey. My mom is a proponent of the "pork as building material" school of cuisine. Not that she isn't a great cook (she is); she just likes her meat WELL DONE.

Cagey said:
E.G. Jones said:
Hooray for Pepsi!

I'm also a big fan of medium-rare pork. Many people aren't fans of pork at all, because most people overcook it to death. My mother certainly did, who learned it from her mother, and never had it any different anywhere else. Until only very recently, most people could turn a pork chop of any quality into something that resembled a building material more than food.

I rarely eat pork, but I honestly hate rare, or medium rare or medium. I have to have mine overcooked cause I just love it!

Foot Long Schlong said:
I rarely eat pork, but I honestly hate rare, or medium rare or medium. I have to have mine overcooked cause I just love it!

There are some like you - I suspect because they were raised on improperly cooked meat and have rarely had it done right, so that's what they're used to. Everything else is compared to a self-inflicted standard that few people would choose if given a choice. I mean, why would you want dry, chewy, flavorless meat when you could have juicy, tender, succulent meat? It's a mental thing, that's all.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. If that's what you enjoy, then that's what you should have. Just seems like a lotta work for nothing. Most of the nutritional aspect is gone at that point, the amount of work you have to do to eat it is dramatically increased, and meat is amongst the most expensive food there is. Seems like you'd want to prepare it in such a way as to make it enjoyable and get the most benefit from it.

But, that's just me.

Last night it was some shishkabobs (spelling?). In general when I cook there's a lot of grill action. Lately, it's been Indian. Lots and lots of yogurt and strange spices. New challenge: good Greek soulvaki.

Jusatele said:
Cagey, you nuke your TV dinner tonight? and put out the cat food ?

No, I poached some chicken thighs, stripped them, and parboiled some veggies to mix part of that with. The balance of the dead bird muscles will be used to make sammiches for the next couple days just to teach them a lesson, cuz that's how I roll. I like to pretend I'm eating dinosaur ancestors, since birds are supposedly where dinos evolved from. Sometimes, I even put some dino muscle in my eggs, just for the irony. Plus, it gives rise to the question "What did he eat first, the chicken or the egg?"  Surprise! I was in simul-gnaw mode!

Mom always said "Don't play with your food!" But, I can't help myself. I still gotta have fun with it. Gotta eat the stuff every day. If you can't have a good time with it, you may as well self-terminate.

+1 to properly cooked pork.  I always thought I disliked pork, until I learned that most of the time its just overdone.  Pork with a little pink is the way to go.  (I know, I know, thats what he said, thats what she said, etc. etc.)  But really, if you eat meat, you should try it.  Its actually pretty healthy for a red meat.

smoked bacon explosion

reminds me of a favorite

bacon night on the grill

we start the gril with hardwood and go till the coals are perfet and add wood from wine cask ( it is a california thing)

then we take seafood, shrimp, scallops, clam, crab meat,fish, etc and wrap in bacon and grill next to artichoke hearts and zucchini, serve with ranch dipping sauce

Back