what's for dinner at your place

Lot to be said for the Caribbean Islands, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. If I could just import their climate...

I'm glad to hear you had fun with the kids. Those memories are priceless, to you and them both.

Tonight I'm having leftover turkey and rolls, and Capt 'N Crunch....And some shots of Crown... :headbang1:

Sounds good. I did a corned beef burrito, with tiramasu ice cream for dessert. I will continue rinsing my mouth out with Molson Canadian beer until... whenever.

Homemade cottage pie (by me). Of course this needs to be accompanied by some sort of Aussie brewed malted barley beverage.  Maybe little creature pale ale.

Whole roast chicken and vegetables with lemon, garlic, and spices.  Turned out delicious!  I've been cooking whole chickens once or twice a month for a while now, and I'll never get a store bought roasted chicken again.  It's just so much tastier to buy the raw whole chicken and cook it yourself.  And it's cheap considering how much meat you get.  Plus now I can make soup from the leftovers. 

hannaugh said:
Whole roast chicken and vegetables with lemon, garlic, and spices.  Turned out delicious!  I've been cooking whole chickens once or twice a month for a while now, and I'll never get a store bought roasted chicken again.  It's just so much tastier to buy the raw whole chicken and cook it yourself.  And it's cheap considering how much meat you get.  Plus now I can make soup from the leftovers. 
to bad your married Hannaugh, women who cook are in high demand,  I do most of the cooking around here.

Last night I made curried cauliflower and sweet potato soup. Fantastic, if I do say so myself (and my girlfriend loved it too).  :icon_thumright:

I've never had sweet potato soup. Sounds good, so I looked up a couple recipes, and it still sounds good. Gonna have to try that on for size one of these days.

I made one of the many versions of Chicken Monterey. This one includes bacon, mushrooms and BBQ sauce, and closely resembles the version sold at one of the local yuppie bar chains - Chili's? Applebee's? I don't remember. Good stuff, though.

Cagey said:
I've never had sweet potato soup. Sounds good, so I looked up a couple recipes, and it still sounds good. Gonna have to try that on for size one of these days.

Do it. The first time I made sweet potato soup, I just sorta made it up as I went along and it turned out great. I find it to be a pretty forgiving vegetable, as you can pair it with a lot of different flavours, like curry or (my favourite) sage. 

Jusatele said:
hannaugh said:
to bad your married Hannaugh, women who cook are in high demand,  I do most of the cooking around here.

Honestly, I don't know why there are people who can't cook.  It's such a basic living skill, you would think everyone would know how to make a decent meal by the time they're out of the house, or at least out of college.

I agree.. there is nothing really hard about it...
I tried making a curry last night, butter chicken to be precise!!!! turned out perfect!

I'm always amazed when someone tells me they can't cook.  I feel like saying "You mean you can't follow simple instructions?".  Of course, some things are harder to cook than others, but for most things as long as you can set a timer and make sure you pay attention when stuff is cooking, it's pretty hard to screw up.

hannaugh said:
I'm always amazed when someone tells me they can't cook.  I feel like saying "You mean you can't follow simple instructions?".  Of course, some things are harder to cook than others, but for most things as long as you can set a timer and make sure you pay attention when stuff is cooking, it's pretty hard to screw up.

That's true for a lot of things - roasting a chicken, making a pot roast or chili, that sort of thing - but some stuff does require some more finesse, and a willingness to make some mistakes on the way to competence.  And that last bit - willingness to "eat your mistakes," if you'll pardon the pun -- is where a lot of folks are dissuaded from the entire undertaking.  Me, I had no choice - I was a latchkey kid from age 7 onward, and my siblings and I had to learn to cook something if we were gonna keep from starving until mom got home from work, usually after 7:00.

Anyhoo -- fettuccine alfredo with shrimp for the kids and me for dinner tonight!

hannaugh said:

Yeah me too. I can make some really good food, and as you say it is really. Just following instructions. It really should also be taught to all kids in High School. For reason in Australia, only girls get this a s a class.

It was an anniversary dinner with my wife. Lamb and eggplant cigars for entree, she had a goats cheese salad thing, Eggplant lasagna main, she had an asian pork loin thing

bagman67 said:
hannaugh said:

That's true for a lot of things - roasting a chicken, making a pot roast or chili, that sort of thing - but some stuff does require some more finesse, and a willingness to make some mistakes on the way to competence.  And that last bit - willingness to "eat your mistakes," if you'll pardon the pun -- is where a lot of folks are dissuaded from the entire undertaking.  Me, I had no choice - I was a latchkey kid from age 7 onward, and my siblings and I had to learn to cook something if we were gonna keep from starving until mom got home from work, usually after 7:00.

Anyhoo -- fettuccine alfredo with shrimp for the kids and me for dinner tonight!
I think it is the instant success syndrome. If they screw up the first time they are not willing to try again, I would hate to think of how many things I messed up first time cooking, I really think it takes one time to see what can go wrong, one time to get it acceptable and then 3 or 4 times to get it where you want it. especially if you are going fora ethnic food like real Italian pizza. Anyone can make a New York or Chicago style pizza, but strip that recipe down to an Italian style and suddenly you are messing with your marinara recipe to get that perfect.
As a Joke on Thanksgiving I made Turkey Enchiladas, everyone was taken aback, now 12 years later they are expected at both a side dish for Thanksgiving and the main Turkey dish at Christmas dinner (both will have over 15 people at them). And I must admit the recipe is both real tastey, and not the same as the first year.

Dinner...

Tonite veggies and veggies, with a couple of bisquits.

~~~

The secret is in the sauce, and carefully watch my Italian aunts and grandmother I did.  Very carefully.  Recipe includes steak, italian sausage, potatoes, pork chops, and hard boiled egg.  Its not a meal - its an ADVENTURE!

I do a good, but not spectacular lasagna.

The Brit side of me goes for cheese and onion sandwiches, beans on toast, bangers and mash, mushy peas, and steak'n kidney pie.

dinneru.jpg

We had Korean food. A bit nippy outside at 50 degrees but still a lot of fun. Grilled pork belly, ban chan (kim chee mostly), sauteed pea sprouts (the only Chinese part of the meal). No soju, only chardonnay.
IMG_0082-1.jpg

Back