what's for dinner at your place

I've not had good success with Alfredo sauce. It tends to come out somewhat "grainy". Tastes good, but the texture is wrong because the cheese doesn't melt right and become one with the butter and cream. Even Stouffer's does it better, which pisses me off. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but if you have any advice, I'd sure be glad to hear it because I love that stuff and I'm not sure every artery I have is completely blocked off yet.

What kind of cheese are you using?

I think the trick is to get a block of parmesan and grate it as small and thin as you can possibly get it.  The tough part about any kind of cheese sauce is that you have to have it hot enough to melt the cheese, but if it is too hot, the sauce boils and thickens far too quickly.  I watch it and stir it the entire time it is cooking (low-medium heat depending on your stove) with a nice big whisk, and I pour the cheese in in very small amounts, and wait until the last bit is melted before I put more in.  It can be a slow process, but it's worth it. 

I always like Alfredo better with the cheap dried parmasan cheese... for Risotto on the other hand, I like freshly grated parmasan better.

I never really did a butter and cream alfredo, which is too fatty / heart attack-ish to me..   but I have tried various other ways to do it..
you can per example sautee some mushrooms with some pepper, salt and garlic, dump 3 table spoons of flour in there while there is still enough moisture. then after a couple of minutes stir in some half/half, and maybe some chicken stock powder. at the end add the parmasan and some crispy bacon..
another one is to just make a mixture of some sour cream, parmasan , salt, pepper and 3 eggs, mix the whole thing hard, and then dump it over the cooked pasta and ham (or bacon)
just let it cook for a minute or so, not too long or the eggs will get all grainy.. (use eggs without the salmonella ;))

*edit - the last one is technically a carbonara I guess,.. close enough to alfredo tho

a good Alfredo is a butter and cream sauce with Parmesan wisked in at the end, it takes a bit to do it right but once down it is a breeze. I buy my Parmesan in block form and grate it fresh.

BTW,, tonight it is Jims Death wings featuring Jims Triple Nuclear Jolokia sauce.
Jerked pork ribs
with your choice of either Bitburger or Pilsner Urquel.(on tap)
Grandmothers Recipe Caribbean potato salad
pineapple and grape salad
cornbread

I am hosting a Garage Jam Tonight.

Jusatele said:
BTW,, tonight it is Jims Death wings featuring Jims Triple Nuclear Jolokia sauce.
Jerked pork ribs
with your choice of either Bitburger or Pilsner Urquel.(on tap)
Grandmothers Recipe Caribbean potato salad
pineapple and grape salad
cornbread

I am hosting a Garage Jam Tonight.

Bitte ein bit!

Did a couple of quick ancient Roman dishes for before the Super bowl starts:

Bucatini all’amatriciana

recipe here: http://www.romeloft.com/food/amatriciana/

I didn't add any tomato, but sauted some onion/garlic/fresh basil in the oil and pancetta/proscuitto before I dressed the pasta.

Gambretti con Limone e Fico

500 grams large cleaned shrimp/pawns
1 large lemon
125 grams dried figs
1/2 medium red onion
5 cloves garlic
1/4 fresh basil, roughly chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt/fresh ground pepper/red pepper flakes

In a large skillet, pour a thin layer of olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan
Grate the entire zest from the lemon into the oil, stir and let set for 30 minutes to let the lemon zest infuse the oil
Finely dice the garlic and corsely dice the onion and figs
Heat the oil in the skillet and then add the onion/garlic/figs and saute until the onion just begin to sweat
Add the shrimp, cooking and turning them in the other ingredients.
Just before the shrimp is done, squeeze the juice of half the lemon over everything
Salt/Pepper/Red pepper flakes to test

You can cook both dishes on 2 burners in 30 minutes

sounds great Jack

I did traditional Fish tacos with Jalapenos stuffed with cheese and shrimps
homemade guacamole and a vegi platter, self serve style, left over kegs of Pilsner Urquel and Bitberger Lager from party on Friday night, everyone is just chillin and waiting to see if they game gets interesting

Jusatele said:
a good Alfredo is a butter and cream sauce with Parmesan wisked in at the end, it takes a bit to do it right but once down it is a breeze. I buy my Parmesan in block form and grate it fresh.

Yeah I guess my examples where both not alfredo recipes...

made a great boeuf bourguignon last night!!!

Jusatele said:
sounds great Jack

I did traditional Fish tacos with Jalapenos stuffed with cheese and shrimps
homemade guacamole and a vegi platter, self serve style, left over kegs of Pilsner Urquel and Bitberger Lager from party on Friday night, everyone is just chillin and waiting to see if they game gets interesting

That's crazy - I did beef tacos with Jalapenos, home made guacamole... etc. My 2yr old to young for beer.

Shrimp, sea scallops, sole, lobster and mussels in a spicy Spanish Tempranillo tomato sauce with basmati rice:

Attachments

• dinner.JPG
    dinner.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 279
learning_to_cook.png

[source]

Last night I made the little woman a fried calamari steak sandwich on francesi roll... delicious!

Everything is better with sriracha hot sauce.

See, e.g., http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

Back