what's for dinner at your place

I know what's for dinner tonight!
Denny's Moons Over My Hammy for me, All American Slam for my wife.

AutoBat said:

I'm a little bit envious. Chances are pretty good this is going to be one of the worst family get-togethers on record. I'm tempted to stay home and make some stuffed cabbage w/ keilbasa.

mixed nuts, chips and : 7 layer dip, about 5 different salsas, french onion dip, deviled eggs, Little smoked sausages with cheese and pickles on tooth picks, a cheese and vege plate with crackers, and that is just the pre dinner activities.
we have, Turkey enchiladas, turkey stew, and 2 turkeys going, 3 kinds of stuffing, 4 kinds of cranberry stuff, a 5 bean salad, mashed potatoes, A ham, some sort of green bean casorole with a crunch top on it, a carrot and onion spread on crackers. gravies, home made roles, store bought roles and 2 fresh home made loafs of bread,
Apple pie, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, pecan pie, crumble cake, chocolate cake, triple chocolate cake, cookies, cookies, and more cookies, some baked things I can't identify but want to jump into, some fresh baked lemon tarts and the nephews are hand cranking on the ice cream machine.
the bar is full and rocking, there are about 40 people here and another 10 expected in the next 1/2 hour, ( they rent a hall) and that means 2 more meals and a lot more deserts and appitisers,
I am going to sleep for a week after this.

Jusatele said:
mixed nuts, chips and : 7 layer dip, about 5 different salsas, french onion dip, deviled eggs, Little smoked sausages with cheese and pickles on tooth picks, a cheese and vege plate with crackers, and that is just the pre dinner activities.
we have, Turkey enchiladas, turkey stew, and 2 turkeys going, 3 kinds of stuffing, 4 kinds of cranberry stuff, a 5 bean salad, mashed potatoes, A ham, some sort of green bean casorole with a crunch top on it, a carrot and onion spread on crackers. gravies, home made roles, store bought roles and 2 fresh home made loafs of bread,
Apple pie, pumpkin pie, key lime pie, pecan pie, crumble cake, chocolate cake, triple chocolate cake, cookies, cookies, and more cookies, some baked things I can't identify but want to jump into, some fresh baked lemon tarts and the nephews are hand cranking on the ice cream machine.
the bar is full and rocking, there are about 40 people here and another 10 expected in the next 1/2 hour, ( they rent a hall) and that means 2 more meals and a lot more deserts and appitisers,
I am going to sleep for a week after this.

Haha man, its the smallest thanksgiving for me ever this year, just six of us at my families table. Were just doing turkey, potatoes, gravy, stuffing (stovetop is the only thing my family eats haha), some pies, and cranberry sauce.

Cagey said:
AutoBat said:

I'm a little bit envious. Chances are pretty good this is going to be one of the worst family get-togethers on record. I'm tempted to stay home and make some stuffed cabbage w/ keilbasa.

Damn I love stuffed cabbage w/ keilbasa

I should have known, the bastards
well, we are not at the same hall we have had for about 6 years, this one is about 4 times bigger, usually we have about 55 or so family and the party goes till about midnight.
well
About 1/2 an hour after my last post, in walks some of my cousins from Haiti, then my Aunt from Jamaica, I get suspicious, and they keep arriving, and so does the food, the kitchen is full of women cooking, I have relatives coming in from all over the place. Seems it is a well planned surprise for us in California, a family reunion on Thanksgiving.
well pulled off.
My uncle just walked in with his DeAngelico and a real 62 Vox AC15. the stage is getting packed with instruments, we have a set of steel drums, ( half my family plays some instrument) I have cousins and nephews and  nieces here I have never met and they are so young. And I keep getting called honky. I will not be on today anymore, I think we are about to start a Jam till mid day tomorrow. Right now the Kids are on doing the rap thing, pretty soon I think we are going to take that away and do some jazz till dinner, then all hell will break loose, Unless you have ever been from a mixed ethnic family that half of them comes from the Islands, you have never had a party like this.
Man what a surprise, do you realize I have  a child in my arms I may have never met if this was not done. I have tears in my eyes I am so happy.

PT said:
Damn I love stuffed cabbage w/ keilbasa

Yeah, I could eat that stuff until I'm just about sick.

I remember a place we used to eat at in another town I lived in quite a ways from here, where the owner/chef was a straight out of Poland. Go in there for lunch and have stuffed cabbage, keilbasa and a couple/few pierogi, and just be useless for the rest of the day without any martinis at all. You were just so pigged out you didn't have any ambition left to speak of.

Thanksgiving dinner tonight... holy crap.  Best year yet, in my opinion.  Turkey with our traditional family stuffing (which has apples, bacon, and water chestnuts in it), wild rice pilaf with toasted pecans, mashed potatoes, gravy from scratch, green beans with butter and cashews, brussel sprouts and shallots with a hot red wine vinegar bacon dressing, deviled eggs with ranch & dill, peanut coleslaw, 3 types of cornbread (regular, rosemary, and cranberry), delicious cranberry sauce made with orange liqueur and spices, Bavarian cream pineapple salad, my husband made amazing apple pie from scratch and a pumpkin pie, and there were also homemade raspberry cheesecake brownies.  I feel like I'm going to die, but it was so worth it!

nothing, I'm stuffed.  :sad1:

Lunch was good, tho. (long inhale) . . . turkeyhambeefmashedpotatoessweetpotatoesbreadpeascornstuffingolivespicklescocacolaapplejuicecheesecakemelktert(milktart)icecreammintm+mschocolatechipcookie . . .  :tard:  . . . yum . . .  :icon_tongue:

B3Guy said:
nothing, I'm stuffed.  :sad1:

Lunch was good, tho. (long inhale) . . . turkeyhambeefmashedpotatoessweetpotatoesbreadpeascornstuffingolivespicklescocacolaapplejuicecheesecakemelktert(milktart)icecreammintm+mschocolatechipcookie . . .  :tard:  . . . yum . . .  :icon_tongue:

www.trommelyd.no

ah, my favorite drummer joke. (say it as fast as you can) "two drums and a cymbal fell off a cliff, www.trommelyd.no "

Had about 20 people over, as usual.

Regular turkey (my wife's awesome recipe)
Smoked turkey (my son got a smoker for a wedding present and wanted to try it out on a whole turkey)
Ham
Sweet potato casserole
Butternut squash casserole
Salad with hot bacon dressing
mashed potatoes
creamed peas
chocolate soufflet
home made carrot cake
pumpkin bread
and some other stuff that I can't remember as I went in to a coma midway through the Saints/Cowboys game  :icon_tongue:

Cagey said:
Jusatele said:
...Drinking 18 year old Haitian Rhum
You can afford it! Splurge and get yourself some fresh rum! <grin>

LOL, yea this stuff just goes for 50 dollars a bottle in the USA and my cousins brought over 2 cases

What a week end, 4 days of Reunion, it was great, and of course as always I get so many invites to come live in Jamaica or Haiti. I think someday I may take them up on the offers.
Played reggae, Caribbean Jazz and et al for 4 days strait. I think I had the most fun playing with the kids, it seems you can never get enough of family, especially the kids you never see much, in a few years they will be Teenagers and bored of life. I will say, if I see another piece of jerked chicken in my life it will be to soon. OH, I also got told to come to the islands and get a proper Island wife, My wife heard that. LOL
So, It was a great Thanksgiving for me.

Back