What would you do different if you ran Gibson?

taez555 said:
- They have an entry level series that keeps them in business.

This one is the one that stands out to me.  Gibson and Fender have offered their models as starter or more reasonably priced models under another brand name.  Epiphone and Squier.  Upon hearing those names, you immediately think "cheap Fender" or "cheap Gibson."  This is good because it allows them to sell their models but still maintain the brand name power of the parent company.  PRS has their SE series which are made in Korea.  They are quality instruments, but it's confusing because they are confused by the novice as the real deal.  A friend of mine was raving about the great deal he got on his new PRS until I pointed out the "made in Korea" sticker and the masked binding grain didn't line up with the maple top, exposing it was a maple veneer on top of maple.  Branding, or lack thereof, is why I think Crate has a poor reputation.  If they had branded their lower end amps under another name, the higher end ones might get past their name.

exalted said:
OzziePete said:
Oh, and I'd look very closely at the signature lines they have and the Inspired By series too. IMHO, the only signature line that should be made by Gibson are the Les Paul guitars!

What about poor Chet Atkins?  :sad:
Sorry to break this news to you, but Chet Atkins has passed on......and besides, the guitar mostly associated with the great man was the Gretsch line of guitars.

ATM, there's too many wanna bes with Inspired By lines etc. accredited to them, confusing the models they are based on. Often the differences are minimal from either a Custom Shop model or the production one, and the Signature or Inspired By series of guitars.

I think signature lines can exist...
IF they are significantly different from the standard production model. In other words, no more LPs for the most part. The famous ones are pretty much all 59's.

Max said:
I think signature lines can exist...
IF they are significantly different from the standard production model. In other words, no more LPs for the most part. The famous ones are pretty much all 59's.

yeah indeed. a lester like page's is just a R9 with his name on it, Imho. the schon-les paul, thats a huge signature.

Now, maybe kits with the Page wiring could be available, with clear instructions and all, but yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I still like Lennon's LP jr, and Townshend's LP deluxe.

Max said:
Now, maybe kits with the Page wiring could be available, with clear instructions and all, but yeah, that's what I was thinking.

agreed, agreed. but the page wiring, its not really easy to do that as a kit. but clear instructions; www.seymourduncan.com . easy as that.

Orpheo said:
Max said:

agreed, agreed. but the page wiring, its not really easy to do that as a kit. but clear instructions; www.seymourduncan.com . easy as that.

Re: Page wiring and similar Signature guitars to base models. Maybe Gibson could sell the mods from the base model as a kit optional extra instead of re badging a whole guitar, and if you want a Signature model, pay for the kit and have the local warranty guy for Gibson do the job? Seems a reasonable idea, but they would deflate the whole idea that a Signature guitar is something unique, I suppose.

Re: Lennons LP Jnr. and Townshend's LP Deluxe.

How hard would it be to get a LP junior, buy the CC Pickup and have some madman go berko on the back of the guitar with the router!

Also with the Townshend guitar, that would require a bit more routing than usual LP but you could juts as easy get a LP with a P90 rout and start from there to get the same setup?

Well, I was just thinking those two models had significantly different physical features to use as examples. This group of people here would modify them after-market, but the average person would like to perform simple modifications.
I would say routing out a body is risky enough to warrant a different model.

Back