’64 Tele – what would you do?

Glimmer

Hope I'm posting this in the right place...

133TjxB.jpg

I’ve got a ’64 Telecaster, which I’ve had since the early ’80s. A previous owner had modded it to include a humbucker in the neck position and a Strat pickup in the middle position, keeping the original Tele bridge pickup. He had also ditched the original pick guard, replacing it with a modded Strat guard that the middle pickup was attached to. I played it for about 15 years, then put it aside when I stopped gigging and later switched to acoustic. In 2008 I decided to have it converted back into its natural Tele state, as you can see in these pics.

KIgad7q.jpg

lpljiYf.jpg

Due to some overzealous routing for the humbucker and Strat pups, the tech who did the work for me needed to create a large central rout, put in a new block of wood, then rerout for the new Tele pups (you can see this in the above pics). He also put on a new pick guard, control plate assembly and bridge plate w/saddles, which he determined were necessary, but kept the original tuners as they still worked fine.

ggctjmz.jpg

He also gave it a much needed refret. In its refurbished stated it played and sounded great and still does, though of late it has developed what sounds like a grounding problem. (When you strum a chord you get a "popping" sound as the pick hits each string, when you pick a melody on a single string, it sounds fine.) Since I'm going to need to open it up to look into it, I am asking myself if I might want to change a few of the parts that were added during the refurb and that look out of place on the guitar given its age and the state it’s in, namely the bright white pick guard, shiny control plate and knobs (which should be flat tops on a ’64, right?), and possibly the bridge plate.

64xwop4.jpg

None of this is necessary, of course, but that’s no reason to not consider it. :icon_jokercolor: For maybe $100–$150 I could have the above parts actually look like the rest of the guitar. Callaham offers “distressed” versions of the hardware and also has a parchment guard that would look right. Others may as well.

I’m also wondering if I should replace the strap lug on the butt end of the guitar, which is heavily rusted. The tech who did the refurb either couldn’t or didn’t wish to attempt to remove it (can’t recall which).

cmYxSVz.jpg

Here’s the way the upper bout lug looks:

rApG2Ym.jpg

So, as the title of the thread says: what would you do?

If I were keeping it I'd fix it as I'd like to see it and not worry too much about what other folks thought.  Flat top knobs? parchment guard?  sure - go for it.

BTW the crackling sound is likely static buildup under the pickguard that's discharging into the neck pickup leads.  Possible fixes include a grounded ground plain under the guard for the static to discharge into, or shielded pickup leads.  When this happened to one of my telecasters I used the first method.

Thanks for your reply, Mayfly.

Mayfly said:
BTW the crackling sound is likely static buildup under the pickguard that's discharging into the neck pickup leads.  Possible fixes include a grounded ground plain under the guard for the static to discharge into, or shielded pickup leads.  When this happened to one of my telecasters I used the first method.

Interesting, and amusing since I've got flat wounds on it and have been using the neck pup pretty much exclusively of late. Will definitely check it out. Don't really know how or even if it's shielded.

That's a purty Tele! I'm with you on the pickguard, I think something more of an antique white or parchment hue would fit better than the bright white. Of course, black bakelite and blonde is a pretty classic combo too... If it were me, I wouldn't feel compelled to replace that bridge or control plate, but I would go with flat top knobs and a Top Hat switch tip. 'Cause I like those. I also wouldn't feel compelled to mess with the strap buttons unless they seem to be mechanically unsound or if you're worried about the kids stepping on them and getting the tetanus...

As for the potential static accumulation, a dryer sheet wiped on the pickguard has been known to work wonders on that... I've got 3 Teles and have never encountered that myself, but it seems it's not terribly uncommon and that's an oft shared tip on the ol' TDPRI. Since it costs only a trip to the laundry room, it's a pretty easy place to start.

Whatever you do, do post more pics!

Vintage correct guard for a 64 would be a 3-ply mint guard which Callaham should have a very nice aged version of.

As far as the rust goes people pay good money to have that done on purpose.

Bottom line it's you guitar so do it how you want it. 

That's really strange, Vintage'v'Rare here in the UK had an identical 64 Tele in stock just before christmas. That one had a lot of mods too, including a humbucker rout. I was considering buying it, it was a reasonable price and the amount of mods already done meant I wouldn't feel bad about reprofiling the neck to 9.5" radius. unfortunately I hesitated and now it's gone. Another "one that got away" for my long list.

Thanks for the replies, one and all. At this point, I'm thinking I will replace the guard (but mint or parchment :icon_scratch: hmm, hmm...), knobs and probably the control plate, maybe even the neck pup cover, which would otherwise stand out as the only new looking piece of metal on this beast. My first thought was to go with Callaham parts, but do you have any opinions about other possible sources: GuitarFetish, Glendale, Guitar Parts Factory, etc.? Oh and, Verne, I will get a little ol’ top hat for the switch and will post pics when the time comes.

Also gonna try the dryer static sheet trick and see if that works.

Glimmer said:
I will get a little ol’ top hat for the switch

That's all that matters to me. I've installed these on my two Teles this last week. No Tele looks right without a top hat switch.

Back