What is your single most favorite guitar solo of all time ?

K

kreig

Only One Please . . .
The one that gives you chills , the one that makes you cry , the one that you could hear a billion times . . .
Name the Artist ,Band ,Album

Devin Townsend - "Deep Peace" - Terria

Edit: Since I saw so many David Gilmour selections, I'd have to say that his solo(s) on "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" from Animals is probably my favorite of his.  Definitely right up there.

Theres's only two choices, both by David Gilmour,  Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" or Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" Pt. II

Honorable mention is of course EVH Eruption

Jeff Becks version of "Sleepwalk". Simple, perfect and makes me want to quit playing.

"Comfortably Numb" was my first thought, but since that's taken... ZZ Top/Tres Hombres/"La Grange"   :guitaristgif:  Old school blues rock.  All hail the Reverend Billy Gibbons!

dbw said:
"Comfortably Numb" was my first thought, but since that's taken... ZZ Top/Tres Hombres/"La Grange"   :guitaristgif:  Old school blues rock.  All hail the Reverend Billy Gibbons!
The Reverend Willy "G"... :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
dbw said:
The Reverend Willy "G"... :icon_thumright:

HAVE MERCY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQs1m5imLxg&feature=related

Comfortably numb should be in everybodies top list! :)

my favorite for now would be Trevor Rabin's 3 solos in Shoot High Aim Low! I absolutely love everyting about it! the tone, the melody, the technique and the feel!
check it: (make sure to listen to all 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2tUIRdozLA
(couldn't find the long studio version online, so this is a second best :)

I think Trever Rabin is one of the most underrated guitarists! he could have been huge!
He still is in a way, since you probably hear his music everyday! even both presidential candidates have used some of his work!

"Life Goes On" by Poison, from Flesh and Blood, guitarist CC Deville.

Call me crazy, I love Vai, EVH, Knopfler, SRV, Hendrix, etc, etc, etc,,, but damn... if that is not the most moving kick ass, Sloppy, awe inspiring mess of a solo in human history. It's nothing spectacular, but just soooooooo perfect for the song.  The way he hits that one harmonic it's like he's screaming from his cocaine laiden soul.  Every time I listen to it I rewind it and play just the solo at least 3 times.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMNUKCxL2zE
The solo is at 2.34

erik

Wow, that's a tricky one  :help:

I could name dozens (hundreds?)

How about Brain May's Bo Rap solo?
It was the first solo I ever worked out how to play!
I had the single and played the solo section so many times that all you could hear was noise!
I recently worked it out again, correcting the mistakes I made all those years ago.
I guess that's why it will always be particularly special to me.

I was thinking of "Comfortably Numb" at first, but I`d have to say "The Fletcher Memorial Home" also by Gilmour from the "The Final Cut" album. It`s not long or fast but I have never heard a solo with so much feeling. It almost brings out a tear in my eye :icon_thumright:

Difficult to see how to bypass "All Along the Watchtower", James Marshall Hendrix, "Electric Ladyland". Maybe it's just become part of the landscape? :icon_scratch:

http://www.imeem.com/people/FVCl5a/music/faebXqBn/jimi_hendrix_all_along_the_watchtower/

With the ongoing collapse of our hallucinatory economy (None of them along the line know what any of it is worth), the lyrics have seemed terrifyingly prescient to me also:

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief,
"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke,
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke.
But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

I can't pick an all-time favorite, sorry guys, I could possibly, possibly do it by genre. But right now I'd say this is pretty freakin sweet, if you like the blues thing.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWLw7nozO_U[/youtube]

I march to a different drummer, so my favorite players are people that no one has heard of.

The best solo of all time?  That would have to be Billy Zoom's solo on the "The Have Nots" on X's "Under the Big Black Sun" album.
The phrasing is amazing, it matches the song to a 't', and although it sounds simple when you try to play it you'll find that it's actually pretty damn hard to make it work!

It's perfect.

Back