Help me recreate a guitar from my favorite player.

This is my opinion, so feel free to agree or not as you wish:

I don’t think most people come to Warmoth with the mindset that they can unload the guitar and get what they put into it. That won’t happen. You build a Warmoth because you can put together a guitar that YOU want.

And let’s be honest, this guitar is just an all-black Super Strat with the exception of chrome tuners and chrome bridge. As far as the provenance this guitarist will add to the value (while you think she’s awesome), will realistically be close to nil.

Sorry.

Oh I have zero illusions about that. I worded that poorly again. I basically am concerned if I make a 7/8 guitar noone will care about it but me. I'm never intending to sell this guitar, but my descendants might, and it would be a shame if it was too idiosyncratic for anyone to care. Not even value-wise, I would just want it to be played and loved.

Oh I have zero illusions about that. I worded that poorly again. I basically am concerned if I make a 7/8 guitar noone will care about it but me. I'm never intending to sell this guitar, but my descendants might, and it would be a shame if it was too idiosyncratic for anyone to care. Not even value-wise, I would just want it to be played and loved.
👍 I gotcha.

I go into it with the mindset that no one but me will care. That way, I’m free to do exactly as I please.

Last edited:
I don't see anything bad about a24 fret gibson scale neck on a slight smaller tele body, sounds like a good fit to me.

Yeah thats very close to the look im going for... blaker than black. Thats gonna be a sweet looking guitar.

Thanks, that guitar was completed a few years ago now. I just realised I did not get around to making a gallery set of photos, but the build thread is linked below.

I would never build / create a guitar with the concept the cost could be realized in a sale. Unless I’m at least a somewhat known luthier.

You’re going to have to make some compromises unless you have the tools to cut a body blank to the snapper shape, but then you’ll need to find an aftermarket finishing shop if you can’t spray it yourself.

Otherwise it’s a Strat body with a contoured heel in gloss black with a 25.5” Warhead neck with a 12” radius ebony board and MOP dots and 6100 fretwire.

The ESP flicker trem is a unique hinge setup, a 6-screw VegaTrem is probably the closest piece of hardware that will drop into a Warmoth rout (vintage 6-screw trem).

The hardware is all laid out in the specs otherwise. The mix variation switch I believe is some sort of coil split that also adds the split coil from the neck into position 4 on the 5 way.

The other pain in the butt to deal with is Warmoth doesn’t offer a pickup relocation for the pickguards to account for a 24 fret extension. Maybe they’ll custom cut it as an off menu item.

You’ll be in 1300-1500 in parts, plus another hundred or two to get it set up and playing like a custom ESP unless you can do that yourself.

The ESP flicker trem is a unique hinge setup, a 6-screw VegaTrem is probably the closest piece of hardware that will drop into a Warmoth rout (vintage 6-screw trem).
You’ll be in 1300-1500 in parts, plus another hundred or two to get it set up and playing like a custom ESP unless you can do that yourself.

I've got a 6-hole VegaTrem that I can contribute at cost if you go that direction. I got it to see if I could access my inner Jeff Beck. Turns out Jeff is completely inaccessible so I replaced it with a stock bridge.

I've got a 6-hole VegaTrem that I can contribute at cost if you go that direction. I got it to see if I could access my inner Jeff Beck. Turns out Jeff is completely inaccessible so I replaced it with a stock bridge.
I think i'm just going to go with a Wilkinson, but i'll consider it. Vega's are nice trems.

The 7/8th strats are friggin MAGICAL. I have numerous guitars running the whole gamut of scale lengths, and my new 7/8th Warmoth 'superstrat' is my absolute favorite ever (300+ guitars over my lifetime). It just kicked my three favorite Jacksons to the KERB... more Warmoth 7/8ths are in my future...

Back