What is the difference between White Korina and Black Korina?

HMstratocaster

This has just recently been brought to my attention. What is the the difference between Black Korina and White Korina? Is it only cosmetic? Or is there actual differences tonally?

:rock-on:

HM

HMstratocaster said:
This has just recently been brought to my attention. What is the the difference between Black Korina and White Korina? Is it only cosmetic? Or is there actual differences tonally?

:rock-on:

HM
One is black, one is white...... :laughing11:

seriously though, white korina doesn't have the mineral streaks in it that black does... :icon_biggrin:

I thought that white is the heartwood of the tree, and black is the outer layers? ie. they are the same tree but cut from different sections. Could be wrong as usual!

Limba is a medium dense light coloured species from West Africa. Sometimes in the centre of the tree the wood is darker. That 'dark wood' is called 'Black Korina'.

Black Korina is very populair amongst guitar builders because of it's appearance and exeptional sound qualities.

DangerousR6 said:
Limba is a medium dense light coloured species from West Africa. Sometimes in the centre of the tree the wood is darker. That 'dark wood' is called 'Black Korina'.

Black Korina is very populair amongst guitar builders because of it's appearance and exeptional sound qualities.
There's the truth of the matter there.  They're both from the same tree and are both just African Limba with different color variations.  That being said, they'll have the same subtle tonal variances as any stack of blanks cut from the same tree.  Even two similar blocks of Mahogany can be quite different.

here are some photos.  I love the black stuff

unfinished
clear gloss only
tran red

GoDrex said:
I know they can use the white for necks - so it must be harder.

Huh?  They use both for necks:

LPN489b.jpg

WN698b.jpg
(and there have been darker examples in the showcase in the past)

I guess they should update their Body Woods page:

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

Back