What do you think about my choice?

Caisa

Hello, I will soon start my 1st Warmoth build and hope you can give me some feedback concerning my coice of parts.

- hollowed mahogany Tele style body
- quarter sawn maple neck, vintage modern (I am afraid a double truss rod design might be a little bit neckheavy)
- P-94 pickups (P-90 humbucker sized) from  www.leosounds.de  (check out the sound demos)
- Gotoh Tune-O-Matic bridge with angled string throug body design
- Schaller mini locking tuners
- 4 way tele wireing

Do you think it fits all together? I hope it will be a composition between good attack and fender like crisp with a litte bit gibson warmth&sustain from the mahogany body and the P-94. I mostly play blues and rock stuff.

Bye Stephan

Caisa said:
- quarter sawn maple neck, vintage modern (I am afraid a double truss rod design might be a little bit neckheavy)

That's fine but I seriously doubt it will add enough to the weight to make it neck heavy. I have a hollow LP with PW tuners (they're heavy) on a pro neck and the guitar balances perfectly. I think due to the body shape you'll have no problem balancing the guitar.

C'mon man, slow down with that fear, it's not a lion trying to eat your belly while you're alive...

Double truss rod FOR THE WIN!!!!! And won't be neck heavy... but if you put it on your chest (wrong) instead of in front of your genitals (right) it WILL dive not because it's neck-heavy, but because you put the gravity's center in the wrong place...

Beside it, will be freaking nice the build!

Ok, so you would recommend a "pro" neck for my project?!

What about my other desicions? Hey It's my first try and there are so many question marks for me. Just what to be shure I hit my aim aproximatly.  :glasses9:

tune-o-matic? don't know why? I have 5 tele's-(3 guitars,2 basses). imo dump the TOM !

if you're going hollow - go f-hole

consider a reverse headstock

everything else sounds cool to me!

just my 2cents

Why should I dump the TOM? OK I will lose a litte bit of  the Telly twang, but that is not the main thing I am looking for. Do you think it will not sound good with a TOM?

Why f-hole? What is the advantage? To me it looks not so good with a f-hole but if it is really necessary...why not!?

For what a reverse headstock???

Hope you will explain your references a litte bit, so I can decide what is the right choice for me.

Caisa said:
Ok, so you would recommend a "pro" neck for my project?!

What about my other desicions? Hey It's my first try and there are so many question marks for me. Just what to be shure I hit my aim aproximatly.  :glasses9:

Are you from Germany, Caisa???
I don't know these pickups... but the P90 idea is great, normal or humbucker size...
For the things I know I could suggest a Bare Knuckle P91 on Bridge and a P90 on neck or Mississippi Queen set (basically a humbucker sized P91+P90) Both will let you to the blues, blues/rock and rock...
I think the normal size would look cooler and F-hole to give the final detail...
July212008006.jpg

This one is from Marko!

Ah I forgot to say... Raw neck: Wenge, Goncalo Alves, Rosewood, etc for a very Fender tone Canary...

Yes I am from Germany (didn't you notice my very bad english?)  :sad:

Canary may be an option, I will think about it!

I think the f-hole did not match with my idea of a good tele design. So if it is not necessary for the tone i will leave it.

Caisa said:
Yes I am from Germany (didn't you notice my very bad english?)  :sad:
Canary may be an option, I will think about it!
I think the f-hole did not match with my idea of a good tele design. So if it is not necessary for the tone i will leave it.

Look at the message at the bottom of my posts, then you'll understand 'bout english knowleadge...

What are you looking for in tone, you have not explained yet...

+1 pro neck isn't that heavy. It's a good design.
recessed TOM versus tele bridge: most important consideration here is probably looks - they're both solid and stable. I have a thinline with a P90 neck and a lil59 in the tele bridge pickup spot, and it sounds great but has no tele twang whatsoever.

f-hole and reversed headstock: it's pretty much just cosmetic, get what will look right.

+1 exotic, no-finish wood: unless you specifically want the look of a quartersawn maple neck, you might as well get an 'exotic' neck wood. Unfinished necks feel, sound, and play awesome. You might consider canary or padouk for a brighter sound, rosewood or wenge or something else for a more mahogany-like darker sound. Look through the showcase necks and see what the woods look like on real necks.

I'd say you're on your way to a great guitar.

Well, what I am looking for...

Maybe a symbiosis from fender attack and crisp with a bit gibson warmth & sustain. I Have to say, that the Leosound PUPs are not so dark and muddy in the mid frequencies like normal P-90 PUPs.

Right, I choose the TOM just for its look.

I have to get a little closer look on the raw exotic necks from "W", maybe that will be a good alternative to maple. Is it usefulll to make an oil finish on a raw exotic neck? I would choose an all Pau Ferro neck but everybody told me it is a very very weighty wood. Maybe not a good idea with a hollowed body!

@NonsensTele  You can add a German to the Brazilian in your signature!  :hello2:

Caisa said:
Is it usefulll to make an oil finish on a raw exotic neck?

they are recommending the exotics because they require no finish - they are prepared by Warmoth and then they need nothing else.

:eek:ccasion14:

Yes I would go raw...

Get Wenge, guys here told is 6 when Mahogany is 0 Maple is 10... So will give what you want without finish...  :icon_biggrin:

Well, the brighter Maple sound seems good for me, that is why I have a look at Pau Ferro, but the problem is a Pau Ferro or Wenge neck must be very heavy, thats what they told to me. I think it might be a problem with a hollow body! The double truss rod make it heavier too (but that seems to be not so dramaticly)

Everyone got experiences with a hollow body and Pau Ferro neck?

Caisa said:
Why should I dump the TOM? OK I will lose a litte bit of  the Telly twang, but that is not the main thing I am looking for. Do you think it will not sound good with a TOM?

Why f-hole? What is the advantage? To me it looks not so good with a f-hole but if it is really necessary...why not!?

For what a reverse headstock???

Hope you will explain your references a litte bit, so I can decide what is the right choice for me.

it's all about preferences

I like to "hot-rod" everything ! these ideas are meant to stimulate this process of building your own.

IMO-i don't understand when people want a "LP with a STRAT config" for an example. or a _____ with a _____!

a hollow (or chambered) body is a "sleeper" meaning no one can tell it's hollow by looking at it.
the f-hole lets everyone see that it's chambered , plus it's look "POPS"!

same as with a reverse headstock. it can really set you apart from the billions of guitars out there.

just enjoy the journey whatever you choose . . . and you'll never go wrong!

Telecasters in general are not that neck-heavy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine certainly isn't and my neck is all rosewood.

Hi, all rosewood seems to be very nice! What kind of body wood (hollow/solid) ?

If you all think a all Pau Ferro "Pro" neck will be not neck heavy with a hollow mahogany Tele I will go for that neck!

Stephan

Hollow - very light. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1865.0
Pau ferro sounds great to me, go for it.

Back