What ARE we doing wrong?

stubhead

Master Member
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVH-Eddie-Van-Halen-Frankenstein-Replica-Electric-Guitar?sku=513703

EVH1.jpg

$25,000 a pop.

And here I've been trying NOT to scratch the finish on my kit guitars.... :blob7:

I wanna know who's stupid enough to part with $25K for that; need to contact them with a variety of investment opportunities.....

It's so dumb because there isn't ONE version of his old faithful guitar. He had a bunch of different necks, different model Floyd's. I'd MAYBE entertain the idea of one of those Charvel special editions he put out because he at least put them together with his own hands and played them onstage.

well if I win the Powerball lottery or whatever, I would most certainly buy one, or more.  Some people have that kind of money.  For some people $25,000 is like $5.00 to us

Well. I'd like both is that ok?  Dont get me wrong, if I win the big 200 million powerball or whatever it gets to, I will still be buying Warmoth parts.  But it might be called Alfang.com replacement shit.....

jackthehack said:
I wanna know who's stupid enough to part with $25K for that
What? You wouldn't pay $25,000.00 (or just $750 a month!!) to sound and play just like the great EVH?
Are you insane?

who would pay $25,000. im not sure. Ive seen two of these and they are both ugly as sin. on the other hand they are making 185 Lenny's probably charge same price.

Brian

Attachments

• Lenny.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 450
I have never been into "artist" or "signature" models of any kind.  I don't hold it against guys who are, it's just never been my thing, especially when the price tag gets up to Jimmy Page Les Paul level, or this case right here!

Micahbell said:
jackthehack said:
I wanna know who's stupid enough to part with $25K for that
What? You wouldn't pay $25,000.00 (or just $750 a month!!) to sound and play just like the great EVH?
Are you insane?

25 grand doesn't get you to sound and play like EVH. It just gets you to look like you wish....... :toothy12:

"25 grand doesn't get you to sound and play like EVH. It just gets you to look like you wish....... "

Right on!

"especially when the price tag gets up to Jimmy Page Les Paul level, or this case right here!..."

That would be a '58/'59 LP. doubt you'll find one for twice the price....

"I think it got its own appeal, it looks pretty accurate but it should be priced at 1-2 thousand max."

Well, let's tote it up and see what we come up? Not like it's going to take any advanced finishing skills....

Strat Ash body -                        170
Maple neck with Floyd Rose nut - 203
Floyd Rose nut and tremolo  set - 170
Black Pickguard -                          15 (Buy cheap one  to cut corner out of...)
SD CS EVH HB -                        160
SD CS EVH SC -                        100
Schaller tuners -                          51
Neck plate/screws                          7.10
Vol pot 500K                                5
3-way switch                              14
Output jack & plate                        7.50
Wire                                            1
Eyebolt set                                    .69
Can of red spray paint                    4.99
Can of Deft nitro (neck)                  5.99
Rolls, white/black tape                  4
8  bike reflectors for back              8
                                              _______
Total                                          927.27

Actually to make it more like the original, you can save about $170 by using an SD '59 in the bridge (original was an early 60s ES335 HB with similar spec repotted in paraffin) and just any piece of crap Strat looking PU you can find, 'cause per Eddie on the original the other pickup isn't even really wired up: http://www.realrocknews.com/blog/category/van-halen/page/2/ so that would take you down to $757.27

Shit, I forgot the quarter under the tremolo - $757.52.....

That would be a '58/'59 LP. doubt you'll find one for twice the price....

I was actually refering to the Page Signature clones that Gibson has been doing the last few years,  I believe the going rate is somewhere around 10 grand.  Still a damn sight better than the 300+ grand for an original, if you can find one.

i think they are throwing in an Anvil flight case as part of the package. Not sure how much those go for but might be worth more than the guitar itself.

Brian

I think they are throwing in an Anvil flight case as part of the package.

Hell, Mucus's Friend is even throwing in free shipping! Better pick up a couple while that deal's still on! :hello2:

I've always gone by the motto that guitars are made to be played not displayed. The 25k remake (which isn't even completely faithful to the real body, but close) is just a display piece for rich fuckers to hang on their wall. Ed claimed that the neck on it now is the original neck but theres no way it is. Alcohol has clouded his memory or he just thinks nobody is going to know better. Besides for $25,000 the guitar should be IDENTICAL to his actual guitar AT LEAST. I saw a picture of a guy with three of them and each one had differences which are pretty obvious if you are into making EVH replicas.

If you want a guitar like that build your own for less than 1/25 the price. Seriously.

/rant :eek:ccasion14:

Check out the link from my first post above; the original body was a $50 second on the bottom of the stack on the floor at Boogie; neck was another second.... He seems half-lit, first part of the video is informative of how he put together the axe, other half is ad for EVH CS axe, rest assured he's getting major $$$$ for that; Fender's costs on that is sure to be less than my estimate + the cost of the Anvil case....

Back