What ARE we doing wrong?

How much was that Andy Summers Tele going for? I never read much about it, I just saw it on Fender's home page a while back.

yeah i saw that guitar in a music store. looks filthy! would never even think of buying one not even for 1000

I always kind thought it would be more satisfying - and certainly more economical (not to mention, fun!) - to build your own replica guitar of your favorite artist.

The Internet makes acquiring reference photos, specs and all sorts of other info easy (as opposed to 20 years ago when all you had to go by were magazines and album covers). And Warmoth - and others - certainly can supply the parts needed. There are some pretty nice VH clones over in the Gallery at Warmoth's site. Those guys probably enjoy playing (and looking at) those more than they would this $25,000 thing (even if they were filthy rich and could afford it). I know I would.

Some day I'd love to create a Marty Stuart/Clarence White replica Tele. It gets a bit more involved with that bender and all sorts of stickers, metal plates and other oddball things on there than trying to duplicate, say, Mark Knopfler's red Strat...but that would be part of the fun and challenge. Maybe one day I can hunker down and do this. I've seen those replicas from StringPull (Nashville West, I think they're called?), but those can get a bit price-y (and tough to find).

Would be neat, instead, to say "I made my own...look!"

I am not too much into signature guitars, but someday I really would like to try to replicate Trevor Rabin's '62 Strat.
the problem is that there is not one single clear picture available. can't even clearly see the graphics.. can't even find what the exact specs are... just know it looked great in concert (last time i saw him live was 1990) and it sounds awesome!
anybody here have more info? bpmorton??

Marty's is quite different from the production models. It was an early prototype, I think...the inside (pics are online, via a Google image search) is nothing like what you'd see now in a Parsons-White B-bender...the mechanism, rods, springs, throw, etc. are all quite unique. But you're right, that would be a pain-in-the-butt to deal with!

Installed ones are so much cleaner and streamlined...his is like someone jammed part of a pedal steel onto the backside of his Tele. There's a false, bolted-on back that houses the stuff, making his Tele appear almost "double thick" when you see it from the side. It's truly its own thing! Even from the face, where the B-string enters the hub, it's not a rounded, volume knob-looking thing like you see on other PW stringbenders. It's like "fingers" that pull down/back. Again, pedal steel components, I believe. Truly a "Frankenstein" type of guitar!

:icon_smile:

In some ways, those plate-mounted Parson-Green benders that Fender users on their B-bender Teles are closer to Marty's, although the mechanism is mounted onto that steel plate which is then bolted to the body, a bit of a reverse. But the rods and linkage seem closer. And Marty's has a longer-than-usual "throw" (which you pay extra for on the installs), apparently allowing for a sweeter, longer and more controlled bend? Supposedly one of the unique things about that particular Tele, and the way it sounds in the hands of Clarence or Marty.

Yeah, that aspect of it would definitely be the head-scratcher/stumbling block...I might be biting off more than I could ever chew.

:icon_tongue:

Here's a gallery with some awesome "up-close and disassembled" pics for those interested.... It's an unholy mess once that back cover comes off!

:icon_biggrin:

Re: Trevor Rabin's '62 Strat; in a quick search of the internet I found pic with at least 4 different pickguards and probably that many different PU setups, so if you want to repro that guitar it's a moving target.... At least some of those setups have featured SD "Hots" and "Hot Stacks".....

Marko

One of my friends made a Rabin clone. Ill have to ask him the details, havnt got to see it yet. ill see if he has any pics of it.

Brian

Does Rabin's Strat appear in any music vids that maybe you could freeze-frame on to get some good views or info? I don't know, I'm asking? I've done this before in a pinch (been curious about someone's guitar or a particular component of it, and I'll find a music or instructional video of them online somewhere where they're playing that guitar; I can sometimes get some nice still shots that way).

I'm not very knowledgeable about Trevor Rabin or Yes, but is this that guitar he played in the "Owner of a Lonely Heart" video from the 80's? Kinda wild-looking, painted and so forth? It's been years and years since I've seen it, but I do remember a unique-looking Strat appearing there. I assume this is the one you're talking about? I wonder if it's on YouTube (and not too fuzzy/low-res to be of any help)?

Brian, yes! please ask your friend! :)

and yes, it's a moving target.. he changed it all the time. replaced the neck at least once. usually hotrail type pickups and I have seen it with a black, white and mirror guard.

there are some clips from the Union tour which shows it best.. still not good enough to see the graphics in detail.
check this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591HzS_DeKo

This is the clearest pic I could find...

Strat.jpg

Anyone do the math to realize based on the number they are producing that it will Gross Fender/Eddie $7,000,000?

GearBoxTy said:
Anyone do the math to realize based on the number they are producing that it will Gross Fender/Eddie $7,000,000?

Thats more than Leo got for the whole shebang in 65..... :eek:

wow with all that money, they could make even MORE banged up overpriced signature issues!

Back to the Frankinstrat.....10/26/2007 the Sprint Center, KCMO...He played it for one song.  Most of the night was a "Wolfgangish" black/blue sunburst flat top guitar that Fender will probably build sometime soon. (also played 2 Charvel's)

great show by the way.....

as for signature guitars, it's only cool if it's your grime,

Thepriebster said:
This is the clearest pic I could find...

Strat.jpg

Thanks!
I couldn't find any clearer picture either.. maybe I should try to email him and ask for a picture :)

What has Eddie even done lately?  He was on the Howard Stern show a while back claiming he knew the cure for cancer.  I guess if you've had people telling you youre god for long enough you start to believe it.

M4rk0,
Why not email him for a photo...
I'm sure he's proud of his guitar and who knows, maybe it'll be the next "Signature" model. (At least one of the incarnations)

Back