We don't need no stinkin' table!

simple

Staff member
So to my wife's horror, her prized table goes to the bandsaw!  :cool01:   Wife:  :sad:     Hmmm...what shall it be? An LP carved top perhaps? 

BurlMaple.jpg

I've always liked this body shape. What do you guys think?
GZWF301-NT-S.jpg

jackthehack said:
Hollow VIP carve top, definitely!!! Where's the other half of the tabletop?
Undoubtedly in someone else's garage for the last 20 years.  :laughing7:

Heck, it's already finished, just rout the neck pocket about 4 inchest above the "lower cutaway" & rout the control cavity & pickup cavities. :eek:ccasion14:

Seriously though, there are some nice possibilities with that.

thats going to make a show stopper looks like you could get more thm one out of that thing about how big is it thanks kayle

Is it big enoug to geta couple bodies?  On one hand, you can take slices off that wood for laminating onto other body wood, Then you could probaly get 10 tops outa that,  But wouldn't it be nice to be a total snob and have that nice wood all the way throught the body,

Cut the body right out of the middle , then put the legs back on the table and put that up for display.......

Gregg Stewart said:
So to my wife's horror, her prized table goes to the bandsaw!  :cool01:   Wife:  :sad:     Hmmm...what shall it be? An LP carved top perhaps? 

BurlMaple.jpg

I've always liked this body shape. What do you guys think?
GZWF301-NT-S.jpg

I love that piece of wood and to be shaped into that style would be killer.

Yes Gregg you are sick!  But the way I look at it;  "I'm  a one woman man but when it comes to guitars I'm a hussy".  Looks like you are a guitar hussy too.

I love the guitar posted,  it looks like a Zemaitis.  I always loved Tony's guitars, they are so beautiful. I wish I owned one,  I could sell it and pay off the house and pay cash for another one for rental property.  If you guys start making Zemaitis shaped bodies with glued necks sign me up for a couple.

That piece of wood looks a lot like the stuff Steve Helgeson of Moonstone Guitars use to build in the late 70"s.  He used wood like that on Les Paul, Flying V, and Exployer copies and they looked amazing.   Go for it.  

Remember to take the wife out for a nice dinner and make sure no guitars or amps are around to distract you!!

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Heck, it's already finished, just rout the neck pocket about 4 inchest above the "lower cutaway" & rout the control cavity & pickup cavities. :eek:ccasion14:

+1 :D

Whoa , Holy... what the... where'd .................... Boobala    Holy Crap! thats nice, who made that and where can i get one, That is one awesome piece of I dont even know what.  Chrome everything? even the pickup selector knob, pickup covers?  Clue us , or maybe just me, in on where to get all that stuff, I understand the body is a fluke, the likes of which will never be seen again, but where'd you get the rest.

drooling my face off.....John

givememytoys said:
thats going to make a show stopper looks like you could get more thm one out of that thing about how big is it thanks kayle
It's about 4 ft by 5 ft. It's 3 inches thick on one side then 1.5 inches thick on the other so it's pretty irregular. I has some moss under the resin in the natural fissures.

Tonar8353 said:
Yes Gregg you are sick!  But the way I look at it;  "I'm  a one woman man but when it comes to guitars I'm a hussy".  Looks like you are a guitar hussy too.

I love the guitar posted,  it looks like a Zemaitis.  I always loved Tony's guitars, they are so beautiful. I wish I owned one,  I could sell it and pay off the house and pay cash for another one for rental property.  If you guys start making Zemaitis shaped bodies with glued necks sign me up for a couple.

That piece of wood looks a lot like the stuff Steve Helgeson of Moonstone Guitars use to build in the late 70"s.  He used wood like that on Les Paul, Flying V, and Exployer copies and they looked amazing.   Go for it.  

Remember to take the wife out for a nice dinner and make sure no guitars or amps are around to distract you!!

I suppose you're right. I'd better do something nice for the little woman. That is a Zemaitis. They're selling for a lot these days eh? Makes sense. I kind of like that 24 fret neck on that body too.

i think id try to get a les paul carved top out of it like you said and if possible the leftovers would make a cool tele.

givememytoys said:
i think id try to get a les paul carved top out of it like you said and if possible the leftovers would make a cool tele.
Maybe burl top and back for an LP with a Mahogany or Korina core. The grain direction and highly figured nature of this particular piece wouldn't make for best stability in the neck pocket so I need an inner wood core of some sort.

I like the Mahogany core idea - especially if you frame it with a pair of black veneers, and can find a nice piece of Honduran Mahogany that has a lot of the orangish swirling to the grain figuring. The Mahogany would add a surprising warmth to the spectrum that would not be anticipated by merely looking at the top wood.  You could also add a couple chambers to the body to reduce the weight some.

If the right piece of Mahogany wasn't available, I know I would be looking into Spanish Cedar as my second choice

all the best,

R

Alfang said:
Whoa , Holy... what the... where'd .................... Boobala     Holy Crap! thats nice, who made that and where can i get one, That is one awesome piece of I dont even know what.  Chrome everything? even the pickup selector knob, pickup covers?  Clue us , or maybe just me, in on where to get all that stuff, I understand the body is a fluke, the likes of which will never be seen again, but where'd you get the rest.

drooling my face off.....John

That guitar and the one pictured below were made by Langcaster Guitars (link below) and are made from 35000 year old "Swamp Kauri"  wood in New Zealand.

http://www.langcaster.com/  (more pictures, videos, etc...)

In the picture below you might notice the yellowish stuff in the wood just above the neck pocket and bridge. That stuff is amber (petrified tree resin). Neat huh?!

Alfang said:
Wow.     Put that in the gallery.   Thats gonna be my desk top wall paper

It's not mine. It's production guitar from Langcaster (See link above).

Attachments

• Gold-Langcaster.jpg
    Gold-Langcaster.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 580
Back