Warmoth - My last one. Sorry but now it has to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cederick

In the past I've ordered a few necks;

Floyd shelves was low, so I could shim them to taste.
Fret ends had plenty of space, and I never had to specify in a box "I want square ends". I never needed that.

But now the last order had three necks, with ridicolously angled fret ends... And too high floyd shelves.

Okay, I sent back for Warmoth to fix the shelves (they didn't make a perfect job with it, I still had to fix some stuff myself) and after putting it togvether... I CANNOT PLAY IT! The string keeps slipping out ALL THE TIME.

I hate this guitar.

And the other two necks I ordered are absolutely useless too, because of that stupid fret angle.

And there's other issues too;
The finish on the body is very orange peely, unlike my previous Warmoth body which had perfect smooth finish.
The mounting stud holes for the OFR bushings was kinda too big, so the bushing isn't seated properly in the body...
YES I ordered German OFR bushings, but the holes are still a bit too big, it feels like...

My old Warmoth neck, vs the new one; (and NO, I never specified "square fret ends", so how in the world could I expect the fret ends to change like this from one order to the next? Esepcially since THREE necks in the last few years was perfect, and now this? It's a surprise, and NOT a good one)
2ahwgud.jpg

This is the last time I order from Warmoth, I'm terribly dissapointed with everything.

I've been amazed by previous orders, but this has been a nightmare from start to end.  :dontknow:

:(

If there's a way to remove my Warmoth account I wanna do it because I dont want to order anything again

I tried to sleep and see if I feel better today but now it feels WORSE, I'm compltely depressed and heartbroken here

i have lost my interest in making partscasters completely...

You have a flair for the dramatic. Your video was funny. I took your original post at face value but losing interest in guitar assembly over some fretwork :dontknow: damn. Maybe you could learn to do your own. Maybe you can learn to paint them too. Either way.... :rock-on:

It's the whole deal with these parts that makes me mad

Not "some fretwork" they need compelte refret and that's expensive and I dont have a job and I wasted $1200 into this and now I have to shell out ever more...

Unfortunately for you, you've developed a preference for a fret setup that few players would want. Square-ended frets are less comfortable to play, which is why luthiers/manufacturers/techs bevel them at a 30 to 35 degree angle (and ultimately dress them) unless instructed otherwise. What you call "perfect" and "too much angle" are the exact opposite of what the vast majority of players want.

Also unfortunately for you, metal that's been removed from frets can't be put back, so there's no fixing that "problem" without replacing the frets, which is expensive.

However, this is the wrong venue to raise hell about the situation you've found yourself in. Warmoth hasn't done anything wrong, and even describes on their site how frets are finished (or not, as the case may be) and instructs how to have things done differently either by them or others.

Warmoth back-bevels the fret edges to about 30°, and polishes them to a smooth finish. We can also leave the edges square and unfinished if you request it.

Please note, Warmoth does not perform fret leveling. Most Warmoth necks are playable as they are received and do not require fret leveling. However, because wood moves with changes in temperature, humidity and string tension fret leveling may be required. This is best done after the neck has been strung up to pitch for several days and allowed to adjust in the assembled state. For this reason, Warmoth leaves this fine tuning to the end user.
It's not hidden, it's described (see link above) on their site as one of 22 subjects on neck construction so you know exactly what you're getting and what options are available. They're a strictly online retailer, so it's crucial that they provide that data because you're not going to see the neck until it's too late to do many things. If you choose to ignore it, how is that their problem? To accuse them of not doing their usual stellar job when they clearly did isn't fair to them, no matter how unhappy you are about it.

My suggestion would be to sell the neck and replace it with one spec'd out the way you want it. You'll likely lose money on the deal, but considering it's a new part the loss should be minimal or at least less of a loss than refretting it.

In the meantime, since I'm getting complaints from the membership here I know I'm not the only one who is getting more than a little tired of the crying about getting exactly what you ordered, so if you could tone it down to a dull roar, I'm sure many would appreciate it.

Edit: I should add that Warmoth certainly monitors, encourages and even solicits suggestions and commentary here, so I don't mean to imply that your (or anyone's) dissatisfaction shouldn't be mentioned or described, just that the proper place to complain or ask for redress is at Warmoth directly. In my experience, they're very professional and responsive to such things (almost to a fault) as they take their reputation for quality and customer satisfaction quite seriously.

None of the necks I've ordered in the past have had such angled fret ends - that's why I'm upset they have suddenly changed that.

There's a photo of one of my old necks;  it has an angle but not much. That's perfect, and leves a lot of space for the string if it's mistakingly pulled the wrong way... But on my new neck the string slips out all the time. I hate it

I hate stirring up crap on forums, but

Your being very childing over this ordeal. You've made your point in your previous thread, and to say you don't want to build at all after this, arms a little extreme to me. This is the kind of ridiculous negativity that goes on in most other forums, but i thought Unofficial Warmoth was free of all that.

I honestly can't see how you could slip off the fretboard, that is a very standard angle for the ends... you should be pulling vibrato into the fretboard on the high strings, not out.

Gentleman, he is entitled to his opinion, even if the majority of us disagree.

If he's ready to move on, let him.  It's not our job to convince him otherwise, and often times I think that how we tend to go into this type of discussion.

So long as he doesn't make this his "Raison D'Etre" on Warmoth's own forum, I'd call it a day on this one, and maybe he should also.

Point made, Point Taken.  Time to move on.

I've edited posts, and I'm locking this thread up. Points have been made, Warmoth has done everything reasonable to solve the situation, time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back