Screamin' Deals Mega Sale starts today!

Well, I had no intention of building a J bass, but $150 screamin' deal for a chambered white korina j bass body w/ maple laminated top felt irresponsible not to buy since it would have been over $400 all day to order one w/ the builder tool. It definitely hit the "fomo nerve" which I believe is somewhere beside the vagus nerve.

Rant: Just sold a Sire V5R that I absolutely hated so it seems appropriate that I build one that doesn't have a "roasted neck" with the stability of balsa completely drenched in darkening dye. Just looking at that neck would cause it to bow an extra 0.05" either way. Arrived with 5 lifting/unseated frets, and after doing allll the remediation work, I still couldn't get the action low enough for me even with a full leveling- there was definitely a temperamental hump. I'm still irritated about that. Still thought it was a tree. Dang shame too because the rolled fretboard edges were excellent. The P5 I have is stable as can be, by comparison. When life gives you lemons, I guess....

TL;DR yet another build incoming.
I thought roasted necks were supposed to be more stable! I just bought one for a P-bass build.

Michael

I do not need, want or even like Mustangs. But the BK on that $130 one...its gorgeous. Someone should paint it.
MU-347a.JPG

Last edited:
I thought roasted necks were supposed to be more stable! I just bought one for a P-bass build.

Michael

Typically, I find them to be very stable. I have 3 of them. The one on the Sire was just... wrong. I don't know how to explain it. It had a VERY light roast (almost looked like plain old rock maple) and the color was exaggerated by a ton of dye they put in the neck finish. I don't doubt it was indeed roasted, but the finish looked like deep brown paint. I discovered this when removing the neck to level the frets and saw the neck mounting holes had a bit of tearout. I think sometimes a neck is just an unstable creature, torrefied or not. I often also wonder if big companies bake the wood and market it as roasted because they're using improperly aged/dried lumber stock. No idea. See the photos here that show the color of the roasted neck beneath the stained finish. Looks like it didn't spend much time in the torrefying kiln or whatever. It would constantly bend like a green stick cut off a living tree. Garbage.

The non roasted neck on the Sire p5 I have is as stable as can be. Go figure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-103448_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-103448_Gallery.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231221-103451_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231221-103451_Gallery.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 11
@mayfly let me guess you are going to make another cool cushion with a funky tiger design incorporated into a guitar?

Seriously though, even if you are not going to do so, that is a nice-looking black limba body.

$250 for satin black painted swamp ash P-bass body? Sold! Now I’ll sell my other unfinished body. GAS strikes again!

Please tell me thats getting Tru Oiled only
Check out my other thread on the Christmas Strat to see what I'm up to! Spoiler: the lime green neon paint didn't work well with the oil, so I abandoned one of them.... ;-)

Okay, you got me, Warmoth. you found my "I cannot resist" price. I did not save photos, but I bought a chambered mahogany Jazzmaster body at $110 (Part no. JM-1546) and a rosewood-on-maple Warhead neck with frets and finish and nut at $150 (part no. SN-33195).

I'm contemplating a dog-hair finish (white grain-fill against a black base color) or maybe a reverse dog-hair (i.e., dark grain fill on an off-white background).

There were a couple of things I was interested in, but they have gone. If the international shipping was more reasonable, I would have picked up a couple of necks, but when shipping and customs end up costing more than the bargain, it no longer is.

@aarontunes what about offering lower shipping costs?

There were a couple of things I was interested in, but they have gone. If the international shipping was more reasonable, I would have picked up a couple of necks, but when shipping and customs end up costing more than the bargain, it no longer is.

@aarontunes what about offering lower shipping costs?

I've mentioned our shipping costs to the execs and it will be up to them on what actions (if any) to take.

I've seen, but never used, shipping services to the Far East. They seem to always be at the back of grocery, or warehouse. They seem to work, otherwise they wouldn't exist, but I don't speak chinese or malay. I recon it's on the level of those services like the hawala's that send money to india, very informal network. Don't use those either.

Back