Dark marks on maple fretboard?

Robzoid

I've only ordered one Warmoth neck and it had a dark brown mark on the maple fretboard. I ended up returning it. I recently saw this used Warmoth neck for sale online and noticed a similar dark spot on the fretboard - also some on the back as well. I reached out to warmoth about it and they said they can't ensure I'll get one without dark marks in the maple.

1. I don't recall ever seeing these dark marks on Fender necks. Is there a reason why Fender can pull this off, but Warmoth can't?

2. The neck I got was quartersawn. I'm curious if these dark marks are less common in flatsawn necks?

1707435197150.png1707435238184.png

This is why I only purchase items that will have "raw" wood showing as the finished product from the in-stock showcase. I need to see the exact item I will be receiving.

Some people call them beauty marks and pay extra for them. And yep, I have seen plenty of them on Fender necks. My observation is that they are more common on flat sawn necks. The more you see the more you'll know. As Scab says, if you want to know what you're buying is up to your "standards" best to buy from the showcase where you can see a picture, otherwise you're wasting your time.

Last edited:
They are called mineral streaks caused by minerals from the soil that the tree has absorbed. Certainly, it would not be my preference in otherwise clear maple. I cannot imagine someone paying extra for that type of streak in clear maple, which is being discussed.

Strat's right. It's just a natural mineral streak. Now that you've seen one, you'll see them all over the place from every manufacturer including high-end boutique builders. It's no different from flame, quilt, spalting, or any other natural flaw except that people don't think mineral inclusions are pretty.

No, sawing it differently won't hide this. It will just be in slightly different direction.

These are both fender necks I have owned and sold both had mineral streaks in them.

As for the question of "why doesn't Fender have these?" well in the mid 2000s they updated the standards for this type of mineral streak and I have personally seen the pallets of reject necks that are only rejected for this cosmetic flaw. So the real question is, does this type of natural streaking make it worth the waste of throwing out the whole neck? This type of defect doesnt always appear until you are late in the game. I have seen final sanded and fretted necks get tossed in the trash over this.

It all boils down to the philosophy of the company. If Fender has decided they can afford to throw away perfectly good necks that don't meet an arbitrary beauty standard, then that is their call.

Warmoth doesn't view mineral streaks and coloration that are inherent to wood as defects. It's really as simple as that.

The maple top on my 2016 Les Paul Standard has mineral streaks all over in it. I'm really glad it didn't get tossed! I have talked with many others who say they prefer mineral streaks in LP tops, and I agree. IMO, they are part of the LP "look".

In all honesty, if you rub your face right on the mark and make a wish, it will come true!

Back