warmoth Les Paul #8: quilt maple emerald dye

Hey Orph, if we all googled our questions rather than ask them here, we wouldn't need to be here,

This was a nice thread, and everyone was loving your axe, till you hung a hard left turn and started berating people just for a simple question

Get over yourself

Alfang said:
Hey Orph, if we all googled our questions rather than ask them here, we wouldn't need to be here,

This was a nice thread, and everyone was loving your axe, till you hung a hard left turn and started berating people just for a simple question

Get over yourself

no. I wont. I've answered this question several Times, and all I did was refer, be it quite Cold, to other sources of information. I'm not an encyclopedia or Wikipedia. If people can't stand that, their loss. I can't stand stupid, or many times answered questions. My loss, I know. 

@max: no man, à real woman of flesh and blood, my own goddess ;) 

Orpheo said:
Alfang said:

Get over yourself

no. I wont. I've answered this question several Times, and all I did was refer, be it quite Cold, to other sources of information. I'm not an encyclopedia or Wikipedia. If people can't stand that, their loss. I can't stand stupid, or many times answered questions. My loss, I know. 

@max: no man, à real woman of flesh and blood, my own goddess ;) 

Dang, I am glad Orph was never a new member!  Man, you have some beautiful LP's and the respect of everyone on the forum. 
However, please remember what the forum is all about; not abuse but helpfulness.
We all need a little help from our friends now and then. 
:rock-on: and keep those gorgeous LP's commin'

Orpheo said:
boaty said:
What difference does the all rosewood neck make to the sound and feel?  Is it unfinished?

uhm...

why don't you just use the search-function? or google?
Because I have the sense that you know what you're talking about, and you're using an all rosewood neck on a les paul body with a mahogany back, maple cap, and seth lovers.  My favourite guitars are identical to that, except for the all rosewood neck.

Orpheo said:
for starters, its OFCOURSE unfinished! lacquer on rosewood (or bubinga, wenge, ziricote, ebony, pau ferro, padouk, canary or purpleheart necks)is imho sacrelige.
Yup, I have an acoustic with an all rosewood neck and a gloss finish so that's why I asked.

Orpheo said:
PRS said:
We also make a number of instruments with solid East Indian Rosewood necks or Brazilian Rosewood necks. Guitars fitted with these necks tend to have a loud piano-like tone with rich even harmonics over the entire range.

Just use the search for more info, I don't want to keep repeating myself over and over, nor does half of the members of this boards.
The problem is that the PRS quote is a bunch of mumbo jumbo, obviously written by a marketing guy and not a gigging guitarist.  For instance, I've seen the phrase "piano-like tone" used to describe guitars that sound entirely different from one another.  In my mind, a piano-like tone is a cheap ibanez guitar with active pickups and the mids scooped.  It's not a good thing at all.  But someone in marketing decided that piano analogies provide an impression of class, so we're stuck with the description.

@max: she doesn't want me to put up pics online  :icon_scratch: something with 'gross yucky yucky horny old guitarplayers!' I told her you were one of the youngest members, but she is adamant, sorry... :sad1:

A high gloss finish on a rosewood neck?  :icon_scratch: difficult to do, at best. the finish will just fall off most of the time, but ok. never mind. My 'problem' is that there's even a running thread about 'unfinished/raw exotic necks", not to mention loads of topics and posts. If it were just a regular post/thread were the question was posted, I wouldn't have reacted so firmly, but to post it in a topic where it should be mostly about looks and bullcrap, and not tone, not to mention my quite elaborate tone-describtion on this guitar, and all my other guitars (taking up the upper 5 les pauls in this subforum right now, and thats only 1/4 of my collection!) having had the same describtion, it just fell down the wrong hole.

ps: you can see that the neck doesn't have a finish: the body reflects the light and has some other reflections, but the neck doesnt, so that question was answerable by yourself I suppose, just by drooling over the pics... :dontknow: it's the little things...

Orpheo said:
@max: she doesn't want me to put up pics online  :icon_scratch: something with 'gross yucky yucky horny old guitarplayers!' I told her you were one of the youngest members, but she is adamant, sorry... :sad1:

Ha, I don't believe she exists.

Orpheo said:

waarom wel of gi******et en niet hier? haha
oh en is ze niet ongeveer dezelfde leeftijd als max? ;)  :icon_biggrin:

I can't tell by looking at the neck weather its got any finnish on it or not,

Bottom line orph, if you post a pic of your guitar to show off, expect some questions.

You don't really expect everyone to go read all the threads on this site before they ask you a SIMPLE question.

It woulda been so easy for you to just reply, " No finnish on the neck, It's bare wood, you guys should feel this baby, it plays like a dream"

And most of us don't care how many guitars youv'e built with non finnished necks......our existance here does not revolve arround you and your previous posts

Hi again,

I read through those threads you linked to, but they were about neck finishes, not about the tone of all rosewood necks.  I read through a handful your other threads in this forum and I didn't find much there either about tone.  What I'm looking for is a clear and concise explanation of the average difference in tone and feel between a rosewood neck and a mahogany neck with a rosewood board.

Alfang said:
I can't tell by looking at the neck weather its got any finnish on it or not,

Bottom line orph, if you post a pic of your guitar to show off, expect some questions.

You don't really expect everyone to go read all the threads on this site before they ask you a SIMPLE question.

It woulda been so easy for you to just reply, " No finnish on the neck, It's bare wood, you guys should feel this baby, it plays like a dream"

And most of us don't care how many guitars youv'e built with non finnished necks......our existance here does not revolve arround you and your previous posts

+1 :icon_thumright:
Sorry, but I must say that I agree with everything here. 
Even the fact that you go on and on and on about a simple question states a great deal about yourself...
Be cool and don't sweat the little things in life...  You are much too young and have a long way's to go  :headbang1:
:rock-on:

No need for drama, I'll readily admit I post like a noob.  :eek:ccasion14:  I'm just looking for first hand experience on a very specific matter.

I read a post of Jack's where he stated that to his ears, a rosewood neck sounded pretty much like a mahogany neck. It was well over a year ago though, so I have no idea which thread it was. Comparing rw and mahogany, feel is probably more different than sound?
This being a very general statement of course, with properties changing between variations of wood and species. Etc.

Max said:
Orpheo said:
@max: she doesn't want me to put up pics online  :icon_scratch: something with 'gross yucky yucky horny old guitarplayers!' I told her you were one of the youngest members, but she is adamant, sorry... :sad1:

Ha, I don't believe she exists.

Your loss :d

@marko: heb ik niet gepost! waren anderen, ten tijde van meetings. en ja, dat klopt wel, die leeftijd, maar ach, we zijn 3 jaar samen, dat zet wel zoden aan de dijk lijkt me, om maar te negeren dat het met het jaar steeds beter en beter gaat ;) zij is heel er volwassen, ik ben soms kinderlijk, goeie combi lijkt me :glasses9: :confused4:

Ok, ok, I'll answer anyway, and crawl humbly through the dust and apologise deeply for my misbehaviour  :binkybaby:

Rosewood vs Mahogany in tone and feel:
for chords, its got more tightness and beef, more depth, more 'power', more bottom end, not more lows, but more bollocks. For solo's on the bridge pickup, high up the neck, it will give you a smoother tone, not as shrill as mahogany. I think its due to the oil in the neck, that dampens out the shrillness. For solo's on the neck pickup, you'll get a smooth, 'liquid' tone, like santana. I do have to admit though, that a thicker neck will have these properties to a higher degree than a thinner neck; I've got a boat-profile RW neck, a fatback RW neck and a standard thin RW neck, and the thicker necks have the previous properties more than the thinner neck, sometimes it's like as if I'm playing with 2 guitars at the same time. its so chunky and broad, but thats something think necks always have, no matter what wood you use, the wood material will only emphasise specific frequencies, for example, RW will give you 'more' (better) lows and lower mids, like mahogany, but not the shrilness and 'flatness' you get with mahogany. Canary will be like maple, but not so bright on the high frets, ziricote will have a very 'equal' tone, without something jumping out, wenge too, by the way.

The feel: rosewood feels, well, like rosewood :) just feel a RW fingerboard, without strings ofcourse, and just imagine that as a full neck. It feels SLICK, fast, direct. You feel the notes directly in your hand, no finish to block the tone or whatever. That last argument might be bullshite, maybe not, I don't know. What I do know is that it just feels awesome, and thats what counts. with a finish on the neck, I always tend to play slower and less accurate than on a neck without finish. as if the sweat accumulates to a film on the finish which glocks up to a dirty crappy thing, which plays, well, crap. If you know the 'steelwool on glossy neck' trick, and you use it too, and like the feel of a more coarse finish (making small grooves in the finish is what you do), you'll like rosewood.

@alfang: wasn't that what I said already in the startpost and in the posts later on? amongst others I say it plays marvelous, its rich in tone and feel, , and its got a major-vintage les paul-thing going on, but an occasional jump to metal goes fine too. I don't think I can explain it better than that, cause everything I add, will just be a repetition of moves.

voor het Nederlandse forum, zeggen zij u niet goed speelt.  :icon_jokercolor:

u zou niet moeten zijn zo betekent aan mensen met vragen.  :sad:

:headbang1:

Orpheo said:
Wait...

Out of gross, yucky, yucky, horny, old, guitar player, the only thing you disagreed with...

was my age?

:doh:

Max said:
Orpheo said:
Wait...

Out of gross, yucky, yucky, horny, old, guitar player, the only thing you disagreed with...

was my age?

:doh:

how can I disagree with a statement, if I dont know if i have to agree or disagree? I know the guys of this board only by nickname, and only via internet, not real life, so I can't confirm or deny anything yet, except that you're not an old guy, just young. I don't intend to place a statement wether or not people/men/guys here are pervs or not ;) I just don't know, though I'd have to guess no, ofcourse,

Doesn't matter anyway, she doesn't want her photo online, and I can fully understand. I dont want a pic of my face online too.

Back