Warmoth "JagMaster" purchase off ebay!

buckallred

Well, someone got a good deal, although I (unlike the seller) would probably swap out the Duncan Designed's...
And on the upside, it wasn't wrapped in snakeskin or chartreuse kamikaze graphics...

I think the seller's real beef with the neck was that it said "SQUIER" in big letters  :laughing7: , that's the only problem I have with my Master Series tele, but that has a set neck  :-\

Body is alder.

What sound, hmmmm. I'd like this guitar to be a bit jazzy, rich sound. somewhere between Mark Knopfler and Keef Richards.

You may have to ask someone else for that kind of tonality.  I did plug your guitar info and sound preferences into DiMarzio's "pickup selector" and came out with a Tone Zone for the bridge and an Air Norton for the neck.  I can say that I have the Air Norton in the neck slot of my LP and it is a killer neck pup.  Very rich clean tone and great harmonics for a neck pup.  It also does grind very well.  I can't comment on the Tone Zone yet.  I have one on order for one of my projects.

I bought a jagmaster with the intention of putting a warmoth neck on it.  I emailed warmoth and they said it wouldn't intonate correctly with their 24" neck.  I liked it stock at first, but it's shortcomings became apparent soon thereafter (horrible super-hot toneless pickups, fret-outs, bad balance, etc.).  I think a warmoth neck, if intonated correctly, would make it awesome with new pickups.  I sold it on ebay after a couple of months.

If they got that neck to work, though, it would be pretty sweet with some Duncan 59s in it.

Thanks for all the input. The seller swears that it intonates properly. Even if it doesn't, it will serve to entertain me for awhile, which is the main purpose of this whole deal.

Question: If I decide to scrap the Squier "JagMaster" body and get a proper Warmoth one, which one do I get?

Jaguar?
Jazzmaster?
Mustang?

Will any of those 3 work with my 24" scale Warmoth neck?
Advice appreciated!

spauldingrules said:
I bought a jagmaster with the intention of putting a warmoth neck on it.  I emailed warmoth and they said it wouldn't intonate correctly with their 24" neck.

seems odd, maybe they thought you were talking about a jazzmaster?

buckallred said:
Thanks for all the input. The seller swears that it intonates properly. Even if it doesn't, it will serve to entertain me for awhile, which is the main purpose of this whole deal.

Question: If I decide to scrap the Squier "JagMaster" body and get a proper Warmoth one, which one do I get?

Jaguar?
Jazzmaster?
Mustang?

Will any of those 3 work with my 24" scale Warmoth neck?
Advice appreciated!

jaguar or mustang.

a jazzmaster looks like a jaguar but with a 25.5 scale so it won't work.

Duncan Designed is not exactly the same as Seymour Duncan... I haven't used them myself but from what I understand they're basically cheaper versions of SDs.  No clue how good they are.

No, I was very clear that it was a Squier Jagmaster, and they knew that.  Maybe they just meant it wouldn't work unmodded, because you said they had to redrill the neck screws, so it may work fine on yours.  Who knows.

The pickups did suck, though, but I hate hot pickups. 

dbw said:
Duncan Designed is not exactly the same as Seymour Duncan... I haven't used them myself but from what I understand they're basically cheaper versions of SDs.  No clue how good they are.

It depends. I actually like the chinese version of the Invader much more than the US SD version. Not as muddy/bassy.

Back