Walnut-top Tung oiled Soloist

AllHailDIO

Hello everyone!  Just sharing my newest project  :turtle:

• Walnut-top over Hard Maple body.  Tung-oil finish with dye only on Walnut top and truss rod cover. 
  • Wenge neck w/ Macassar Ebony fretboard (24 frets; 6105 SS frets; 15" straight radius - I originally wanted something in between my friend's Carvin's 14" radius and my RG's 15.75" radius - maybe I should have just went 16" but who knows if I would have noticed a difference). 
  • Hipshot hardware (with custom brass saddles). 
  • BKP Blackhawk (Alnico). 
  • 1 volume knob (may add treble-bleed mod if needed). 

Still looking for a knob for this project - just put a Gibson tophat just to have something on.

Attachments

• 20170330_081816_HDR.jpg
    20170330_081816_HDR.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20170417_161459_HDR.jpg
    20170417_161459_HDR.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170417_161247_HDR.jpg
    20170417_161247_HDR.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170417_161219_HDR.jpg
    20170417_161219_HDR.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170417_162947_HDR.jpg
    20170417_162947_HDR.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 25
Pretty dang sexy.  I'd go with a black dome-topped knurled knob, but of course your mileage (and taste) may vary..

Bagman67 said:
Pretty dang sexy.  I'd go with a black dome-topped knurled knob, but of course your mileage (and taste) may vary..

Thanks man!

Yah, I was thinking about that.  Either regular or heavy knurled.  But heavy knurled is so hard to find though especially in black! 

My other ideas were something with an aluminum top on a black barrel knob (so a more industrial and minimal look of the tophat) or an Black Ebony knob (unfinished for the matte look).  Decision, decisions...

This also looks nifty:
DDS-75%20BLK_sml.jpg

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/kilo-international/DDS-75-4-5/226-4021-ND/305318

Or this guy (flat topped, no marker, matte - sexy in my book):

OEJNI-63-4-5_sml.JPG

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/kilo-international/OEJNI-63-4-5/226-4225-ND/5970381

Just simply a beautiful guitar, Soloist is my fav shape, and the choice of woods is spot on.... :headbang1:

That is an awesome looking shred machine. Very cool.
What's the custom part of the Hipshot bridge saddles? Are they not all of brass?

About knobs... I'm very happy with my Knobeez. Very nice to work with and comes in a lot of cool colors.

Group-Knobeez.jpg

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2Jlf95Eg_Ko[/youtube]

Thanks Bagman, those are some cool looking knobs!  Never heard of this site so thanks for the share.

And thanks everyone!  I'm pretty excited to play her.  Probably have to wait till the weekend though because I'm usually too tired for soldering after work.  Then again... only 1 pot... no switch... Jeesh!  So easy!

Logrinn said:
That is an awesome looking shred machine. Very cool.
What's the custom part of the Hipshot bridge saddles? Are they not all of brass?

About knobs... I'm very happy with my Knobeez. Very nice to work with and comes in a lot of cool colors.

Group-Knobeez.jpg

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2Jlf95Eg_Ko[/youtube]

Cool, I'll check those knobs out!  Nice tone btw  :rock-on:

Current production Hipshot fixed bridges have steel saddles on brass baseplate.  I called their number and asked for the custom order; they said brass was do-able and that in the past, the saddles originally were made of brass. 

I ordered 6 saddles but only changed 4 (lightest strings) for now.  I figured Maple + Ebony could use as much brass warmth.  Hoping she screams!  :headbang1:

AllHailDIO said:
Cool, I'll check those knobs out!  Nice tone btw  :rock-on:

Thanks! :eek:ccasion14:

AllHailDIO said:
Current production Hipshot fixed bridges have steel saddles on brass baseplate.  I called their number and asked for the custom order; they said brass was do-able and that in the past, the saddles originally were made of brass. 

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Not being a shred-head, the Soloist never really floated my boat, but that PARTICULAR Soloist is absolutely GORGEOUS! Holy crap, that's one beautiful combination!  :eek:ccasion14:

BigSteve22 said:
Not being a shred-head, the Soloist never really floated my boat, but that PARTICULAR Soloist is absolutely GORGEOUS! Holy crap, that's one beautiful combination!  :eek:ccasion14:
Ahhhh, slow down grasshoppa....
th

Not have to be pointy to be shred machine....
[youtube]Q_DDsozgxnQ[/youtube]

Back