Volume pot for vintage pickups?

jalbertochavez

Hey y'all. I'm gonna build a Strat pretty soon and I'm going for a vintage sound. I got a set of Fender Custom Shop 1969 pickups, but I'm wonderin' what would happen to the tone if I went with something stronger than a 250K volume pot. Would they sound a little stronger or would they start to shriek or sound shrill? I was just thinkin' of takin' it up to the next level and going for a 500K pot. Anyone ever experiment with this before?

500K pots divert less of the signal to ground, so thus, there is not as much treble loss.

250K versus 500K is strongly a personal preference, and being as pots are very cheap, it is best to try both to see what you prefer.

It is going to be a small change at best, you'll get a touch more volume and a touch more treble response. Try it and see if you like it. Taking it to the next level might be a bit too much to expect - it's not a boost pedal or anything.

Nice one from the archives. I'm not an affcianado or anything but I really think 50's strat tone is different from 60's tone. The 69's are good. So are the Fat 50's. Both are pretty good being corporate and all.

jalbertochavez said:
Hey y'all. I'm gonna build a Strat pretty soon and I'm going for a vintage sound.

If you're really going for a vintage sound, then wire it up like a vintage circuit... 250K's all around.

Back