Ultrasuede - Les Paul Influenced Strat

partialdoctor

Guys, meet my new axe, which I've dubbed Ultrasuede. This is my first non-showcase body and neck.The goal of this project was to get some heavier tones out of a strat. I don't care much for the Les Paul or PRS feel in my hands, but I like some of the tones, so this idea was born.  The body is mahogany with a Zebrawood top.  I got the body yesterday and got a little bit done. I raised the grain and sanded back twice and got a first coat of Crystalac grain filler on it. Planning on doing 2-3 coats of that, then a red dye (Transtint) to the top, then Tru-Oil to the whole thing. I think its going to be sick. I LOVE that its a hardtail.

Specs:
Body: Hardtail Mahogany / Zebrawood, Chambered, Dual F holes, Ivoroid Binding
Neck: Rosewood, Kingwood Fretboard, No inlays (will have custom inlay on headstock), 6100 SS frets, Schaller Locking
Pickups: Lollar Imperials
Bridge: Fender Hardtail

This post will be updated in the next few days as I finish it.  :hello2:

Attachments

• Ultrasuede 2.jpg
    Ultrasuede 2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Ultrasuede 1.jpg
    Ultrasuede 1.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 59
Neck is ordered already. Rosewood with Kingwood fretboard (very parallel lined Kingwood). 6100 frets. Standard thin profile strat neck.

partialdoctor said:
Neck is ordered already. Rosewood with Kingwood fretboard (very parallel lined Kingwood). 6100 frets. Standard thin profile strat neck.

That is such a perfect choice. I might steal this idea and get my own...  :toothy10:

Looks like it's going to turn into a great guitar, looking forward to watching the progress!

Oh my....it looks Ultr-suedey....I'm diggin' that fo sho...The darker neck will make that thing pop... :kewlpics:

Fantastic! I'm a Zebrawood lover and this thing will sing I'm sure.... :blob7:

Coming along. Did two coats of filler. Stained the top red and scraped the binding. The latter was a major pain in the ass! I botched the control hole a bit (ok a lot) drilling it out to 1/2" for a three way switch, but I'm going to leave it as a battle scar. Most of it will be covered by the switch. The color is just like I want it and looks amazing with a little naptha to simulate the top coats. I need to do a little bit of touch up final sanding on the back and then I'll start Tru-oil. I'm planning on spraying the 1st coat so as to not smear the red onto the binding again. Will keep you posted...

Attachments

• UltrasuedeBinding.jpg
    UltrasuedeBinding.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 100
Looks good. I'm curious what happened with the switch hole, though, if you don't mind saying.

Cagey said:
Looks good. I'm curious what happened with the switch hole, though, if you don't mind saying.

The edges of the zebrawood splintered when I was drilling the hole. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm sure it was my error.

I used transtint bright red, mixed with a little reddish brown. Water as a solvent.  I think I had a little of the filler still on the surface and it was mildly blotchy with the 1st coat, so I sanded back fairly aggressively (which looked awesome BTW and I almost kept it that way), then did a second coat. I did test this whole think on scrap zebrawood I purchased prior to doing it on the body so I expected it and it went on just like the test board.

The weather has put a nix on my plans for today. I sand outside (live in townhome) and its been raining all day.  :sad: Was planning on getting 1st coat of tru-oil on today, but looks like a no go.

I see. Zebra is some brittle stuff. If you used a twist drill, I could see that tearing up pretty easily. I'm surprised Warmoth offers it as a face wood - resawing that stuff has got to be a nightmare of ruined pieces.

When I was building Mayfly's amp heads, I used Zebrawood faces because I couldn't find a piece of curly maple that made me happy. It looked really nice and unique, then one day I dropped one. Snapped into three pieces, like clay pot or something. Pissed me off, as I already had a lot of labor into it. Plus, the stuff ain't cheap.

But, once it's all machined and finished and in place, it's really hard and highly attractive.

Its really starting to come alive now. Put on 4 coats of Tru-Oil, then lightly micromeshed with 4000, 6000, 12000, then a couple more coats. The red is really popping and the striped look 3D and change with the light... the pictures don't do it justice!

Attachments

• Ultrasuede5CoatsTO (1).jpg
    Ultrasuede5CoatsTO (1).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 98
That color looks GREAT. i think the only finishes i've seen on zebrawood have been natural and green. so this is a refreshing change of pace. really nice.

is tru-oil that glossy is that just how it looks wet?

Back