Tone pot hole drilled too close to side jack- No space for the pot

danusa417

I ordered a short scale P Bass with a rear route, and with one volume and one tone pot holes. When I tried to wire it up, I found out that whoever drilled the tone position hole put it too close to the Electrosocket jack. A major mistake.
Anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? I guess that I could rig a dummy knob in that position and drill a new hole for the tone pot. That would be worst case scenario though.
I didn't check that spacing out before I sanded and it and finished it with poly, so I'm guessing that Warmoth won't replace it. I'm so upset. This is my 7th Warmoth build and I've never had a problem like this before. I just can't believe that a Warmoth tech would make such a stupid mistake. I have used that same configuration on a few Strats but this was my first P Bass.
I sent Warmoth an email, but I'm still waiting to hear back because its a weekend. I'll update this post when I get a reply. This will be a good test to see what kind of a company Warmoth really is.

Update: So I spoke with a Warmoth sales person and they were surprised at what they saw in the photo. They need to reposition that hole on their CNC program apparently. My bass was the first to have this issue I guess. The guy was very cool and ask me to first try a mini pot first. If that doesn't work then we may have to talk about a replacement body. I'm not sure if the mini will fit. I am picking one up today and will see if it fits.
IMG_8192 2.jpegIMG_3327.jpeg

Last edited:
Well that sucks. I think a 16mm pot should fit no problem, as long as you can find one with a long enough shaft. Good on Warmoth for looking to make it right.

yo what the heck kinda jack is that? seems like any ol standard mono jack would be fine, its those weird extra far protrouding clip things that are interfering. might #explain why Noone has brought it up to Brother W before :unsure:

yo what the heck kinda jack is that? seems like any ol standard mono jack would be fine, its those weird extra far protrouding clip things that are interfering. might #explain why Noone has brought it up to Brother W before :unsure:

It looks like a Pure Tone jack, it is no longer than a normal jack. The plug is held in place by two contact points each for positive and ground connections.

Yep, have you tried it with a football jack plate? That with the mini pot should be good.

It looks like a Pure Tone jack, it is no longer than a normal jack. The plug is held in place by two contact points each for positive and ground connections.
interesting. never heard of it. googled it. seems like a classic case of guitar solution in desperate search of a problem

but anyway,, if he affixes the pot first, then affixes a regular switchcraft jack, i'm sure the tip receiving part thing can be rotated to be out of the way of the pot, thereby affixing his problem. o'wise (cool way to say "other wise") how would everyone previous have been puttin' these together? this pure tone thing doesn't seem to have any rotationality

interesting. never heard of it. googled it. seems like a classic case of guitar solution in desperate search of a problem

I have one in the green strat in my signature. I quite like it as when I recall the 80s and leads coming lose, one of these would have probably prevented it.

Is that pot hole that's causing problems the one closest to the bridge (bottom on in the photo) or the one closer to the pickup (top)?

Looks like Tone and Jack were selected. Instead of volume and tone. Under controls

That does seem to be exactly what it is. It seems odd that if you select that combination, the builder still allows a side jack to be chosen for the Short scale P Bass. It would normally be that you use one jack position or the other.

@aarontunes it seems like there is an incompatibility in the Short scale P Bass builder.

Back