Thinking about this neck. Opinions?

gstring120

I'm new to the forum and starting my second Warmoth build.  I've just purchased a 7/8 Strat body from the showcase with the radiant finish ( looks like a dark gray with black streaks resembling broken glass) on a rear route swamp ash body.  I'm plannning on a Schaller Floyd tremolo, Seymour Duncan JB bridge humbucker and Duncan Jazz neck humbucker.  All hardware to be finished in black.  The neck will be a reverse Warhead with mother-of-pearl dot inlays, but I'm undecided as of yet on the neck/ fretboard woods.  I prefer a raw wood neck and was considering macassar ebony for both the neck back and fretboard.  Any suggestions?  I want a neck wood that will compliment the body.  My type of music is classic rock and old school metal mostly. 

Attachments

• ps4665a.jpg
    ps4665a.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 448
  • ps4665b.jpg
    ps4665b.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 409
Kinda hard to come up with an idea for that; kinda hard to "compliment" that finish. If you want raw, I'd go with a figured maple neck with a jet black ebony board; can Warmoth match that body finish on the peghead?

Don't go maple, as you can't leave that raw and still have a warranty.  I would suggest wenge as a neck wood and maybe a Macassar ebony fingerboard with that, but a whole Macassar neck would be sweet too.  Any dark wood would look nice I think.

With an ebony fingerboard maybe ebony veneer on the headstock?

Looking forward to this finished. I really like those finishes.  :icon_thumright:

jackthehack said:
Kinda hard to come up with an idea for that; kinda hard to "compliment" that finish. If you want raw, I'd go with a figured maple neck with a jet black ebony board; can Warmoth match that body finish on the peghead?

I considered a flame maple neck and jet black ebony board.  I'd have to have a finish applied to the maple though.  Maybe a clear satin finish.  Good idea on the peghead finish.  Hadn't thought about that.

reinhold said:
Don't go maple, as you can't leave that raw and still have a warranty.  I would suggest wenge as a neck wood and maybe a Macassar ebony fingerboard with that, but a whole Macassar neck would be sweet too.  Any dark wood would look nice I think.
SustainerPlayer said:
With an ebony fingerboard maybe ebony veneer on the headstock?

Looking forward to this finished. I really like those finishes.  :icon_thumright:

Thanks.  Both good ideas.

Believe I've decided on the wenge with macassar ebony fret board.  Thanks Reinhold.  Will post pics one day after I get everything in.

First Warmoth build:

Attachments

• DSCN2123.JPG
    DSCN2123.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 442
You could have also gone with Canary. It looks a bit like maple and can be left raw. Throw on a macassar ebony fingerboard to brighten up he tone

nexrex said:
You could have also gone with Canary. It looks a bit like maple and can be left raw. Throw on a macassar ebony fingerboard to brighten up he tone

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

The 7/8 Strat radiant body is on its way and I just placed an order for a 7/8 Reverse Warhead neck in wenge with macassar ebony fretboard, Seymour Duncan Distortion (bridge), Duncan Jazz (neck), Schaller Floyd Rose R3 tremolo (black), Schaller Mini Locking Tuners (black), all electronics and black hardware.

If you like dark fretboards and thinking about ebony, I would go with binding too. Otherwise I'd choose a maple board.

Finished!  Wenge neck, macassar ebony fretboard, Seymour Duncan Distortion (bridge), Duncan Jazz (neck).

Attachments

• DSCN2124.JPG
    DSCN2124.JPG
    637.7 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCN2125 new strat back.jpg
    DSCN2125 new strat back.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 385
The wenge neck and macassar ebony fingerboard are better than I expected; fast and smooth as butter!  Here are some better pics and "thanks" for all the suggestions and compliments.

Attachments

• 2094.JPG
    2094.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 410
  • 2095.JPG
    2095.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 365
Looks cool, but I think a maple fretboard would have made that stand out more.... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
Looks cool, but I think a maple fretboard would have made that stand out more.... :dontknow:
I really like but have to agree about the maple
oh well
Nice build by the way

Jusatele said:
DangerousR6 said:
I really like but have to agree about the maple
oh well
Nice build by the way

I thought about maple, and I agree, it would have made everything stand out more.  But man, that wenge and macassar ebony neck plays sweet.

Back