Goncalo Alves vs Roasted Maple for a J Bass 5 neck

Sturdy Girdle

I am about order a J Bass 5 MIM neck and am looking for some objective and subjective input. I'm trying to decide between Goncalo Alves and roasted Maple for the shaft and fretboard. Some of the objective things I'm curious about are weight, cost, and stain resistance. Tone, feel, and appearance I would consider to be subjective traits.

Will Goncalo Alves weigh more than roasted maple, typically?

I will be using this bass daily at work and am curious if GA or roasted maple is more prone to stain on the fretboard after years of use. My MM Stingray has a maple fretboard with very little finish and this has gotten very dirty over the years.

Subjectively I consider both of these woods to look very good and so it is a toss up when trying to pick the better looking wood but if anyone has any input here I would love to hear it.

The Warmoth YT video comparing different neck woods was really awesome and the GA seemed to be the only one that stood out, to my ears at least.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who shares in response to this. This is my first post so if anyone has any advice about how to improve my post, please LMK.

Should I maybe move this to a different section of the forum? I'm new to this group and have little experience with forums in general.

Just seeing this thread. GA will weight more than Maple or Roasted Maple on average. "Staining" is the result of dirt, sweat, oils, etc. All will do this. no wood type will this happen less to, it may just not be as noticeable.

Make it a regular routine to wash you hands before playing and between sets. Wipe down your fret board and strings (don;t forget underneath your strings) and you will minimize the issue if its that distracting.

Also when you change strings (yes I know infrequent on bass), clean it. My go tos are Murphys Oil soap to clean, then Howards Orange Oil, then Howards Feed n Wax.

Unfinished woods are needless to say less protected from grime.

Just seeing this thread. GA will weight more than Maple or Roasted Maple on average. "Staining" is the result of dirt, sweat, oils, etc. All will do this. no wood type will this happen less to, it may just not be as noticeable.

Make it a regular routine to wash you hands before playing and between sets. Wipe down your fret board and strings (don;t forget underneath your strings) and you will minimize the issue if its that distracting.

Also when you change strings (yes I know infrequent on bass), clean it. My go tos are Murphys Oil soap to clean, then Howards Orange Oil, then Howards Feed n Wax.

Unfinished woods are needless to say less protected from grime.
Good info, thank you. I'm guessing I should probably go with Roasted Maple if weight is my number 1 concern, then.

Back